Final Roster Cuts

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I can’t wait until it works.

Lets hope they really have it and it wasn’t just the standard coach flap from RaKru, but chemistry Is a real thing

Sobotka won't work. He lacks the high end talent in both his hands, passing, skating, or shot to be impactful on line 2. 

Let's look at Reinhart by comparison. Reinhart had a glaring flaw in his first 2 seasons and that was his first step and his skating. However he had elite vision, great hockey IQ, and his shot constantly improved. Now we see that above average skating Reinhart is a great pairing on the top lines because he can get to pucks quickly and still do that other stuff like pass great and make things happen down low. Sobotka on the other hand lacks vision and then also lacks the other things I mentioned. The only real skill is that he is... well I am honestly not sure. He isn't a turnover machine? 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This sounds oddly rational to me. Yes, let it be so. 

Except, he's already had a handful of games under Krueger's tutelage and has demonstrated he is still the same guy he was last year.

Do we really need to have them come out of the gate 1-3-1 for RK to figure out what everybody that doesn't speak with Sobotka on a daily basis already knows?

He must be fairly bright (as he can get to where RK wants him to be on the ice) and a decent guy (nobody on the team seems to take issue with him being around, at least publicly), but he truly IS "the land where Sabres scoring chances go to die" and he can't play the puck under pressure in his own end either.

He is the forward equivalent of either the Sabres version of Meszaros or Benoit. 

Edited by Taro T

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Except, he's already had a handful of games under Krueger's tutelage and has demonstrated he is still the same guy he was last year.

Do we really need to have them come out of the gate 1-3-1 for RK to figure out what everybody that doesn't speak with Sobotka on a daily basis already knows?

He must be fairly bright (as he can get to where RK wants him to be on the ice) and a decent guy (nobody on the team seems to take issue with him being around, at least publicly), but he truly IS "the land where Sabres scoring chances go to due" and he can't play the puck under pressure in history own end either.

He is the forward equivalent of either the Sabres version of Meszaros or Benoit. 

And now I am sad again because I know you are right. 

correct kate winslet GIF

• Like (+1) 1

No conniption.  Merely, sadly, pointing out what is obvious to everybody but apparently Krueger.

Let's hope when the practice starts, having a new set of eyes at practice lends a voice to get RK to actually SEE what he's watching and not what he's hoping he sees.

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Am I getting this right? @PASabreFan is fully, enthusiastically on board with RaKru's rehab project with a washed Sobotka?

Welp. Iconoclasts gonna ... icono? ... clast?

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

No. I used “RaKru.”

PA likes that.

It's more fun to interpret the posts the other way. ?

17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

No conniption.  Merely, sadly, pointing out what is obvious to everybody but apparently Krueger.

Let's hope when the practice starts, having a new set of eyes at practice lends a voice to get RK to actually SEE what he's watching and not what he's hoping he sees.

I was referring to stuff like "in history own end."

12 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Am I getting this right? @PASabreFan is fully, enthusiastically on board with RaKru's rehab project with a washed Sobotka?

Welp. Iconoclasts gonna ... icono? ... clast?

I just go with the opposite of board conventional wisdom. Hasn't let me down yet.

• Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I just go with the opposite of board conventional wisdom. Hasn't let me down yet.

You ol' so and so.

New hashtag: #PAanalytics

An entire advanced stats regimen could be developed based on @PASabreFan taking a view contrary to prevailing wisdom here.

15 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I was referring to stuff like "in history own end."

Ah.  Yes, the phone autocorrect feature leaves a LOT to be desired.  But, it does allow an uncapitalized "I" to follow a blank space without capitalizing the next letter and moving the cursor up about 7 rows of text and also allows editing without having to use the backspace, unlike the late model tablet so lately have typically been using it to post here.

Really missing the "preview post" button, as could catch most typos w/ that.  But Liger was quick and responded before the corrections of "history" to "his" and "due" to "die" were made.

No biggie.

Edited by Taro T

59 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Lol, Krueger is the only one who sees practices. Vets usually are better listeners and is why coaches like them. He may be doing in practice exactly what he preaches, and Krueger made it clear nobodies past preceded them. 

He’s going to lose a few games until he figures out Sobotka is a fraud, but he won’t lose the locker room from the get go picking favorites and not favoring what was shown in camp. And the locker room is more important to have. 

4 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Lol, Krueger is the only one who sees practices. Vets usually are better listeners and is why coaches like them. He may be doing in practice exactly what he preaches, and Krueger made it clear nobodies past preceded them. 

He’s going to lose a few games until he figures out Sobotka is a fraud, but he won’t lose the locker room from the get go picking favorites and not favoring what was shown in camp. And the locker room is more important to have. 

Pretty sure winning is more important to have and a 32 year old vet is what he is. They aren't suddenly going to hit 20g and 50pts. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Thinking like Murray. The guy who never understood personal relationships and their value. 

No I am thinking like someone who knows that a 32 year old player with a ceiling of maybe 20pts and who is an offensive blackhole for most metrics, isn't suitable for the 2nd line. 

But go right ahead and convince yourself that having a relationship with Sobotka will equate to wins. Actually in WAR (wins above replacement) Sobotka was I think close to dead last in the NHL this past season. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

You do realize that "the new set of eyes" is Chris Taylor, right?  Or does Krueger bar his assistants from the practices?

If he's making gameday decisions by putting more weight on practice than on actual game results, then his will be a rocky tenure.

Do you really think that promoting Sobotka to the 2nd line over several others that are better in actual games was necessary so he "won't lose the locker room?". In what way does that keep the dressing room on Krueger's side more than giving the boys their best chance at W's?

This team appears to need every W they can get to have any chance of sneaking into the playoffs.  Wasting a handful of games to show that RK wasn't mean to a declining skills vet will lose the room quicker than winning without Sobotka will do.

Over on the Bills side of the Pegula empire, the room wasn't lost by releasing McCoy.  Sobotka is no McCoy.

And we still don't know for certain, that Vlad is 2RW.  So, hopefully, this is all moot.

Edited by Taro T

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

I'll be pretty shocked if it is actually Sobotka on the second line. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Are waiver claims processed at noon today?

No. Doreen has strep throat. It wouldn't kill you to spend a little more time in the break room. There's a giant card, but I'm sure you'll be too busy vaping behind the dumpster to sign it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.