Position Battle: Center

GASabresIUFAN

I just finished watching an amazing tennis match between Nadal and Thiem - 5 sets, nearly 5 hours of great tennis.  Nadal won.  Crazy.

They were playing on center court and it got me thinking about the spine of our team.  The first two are easy, then all bets are off.  

1) Eichel

2) Mittelstud

Now the Candidates for slots 3 & 4.,

3) Berglund - solid two way player acquired in the ROR deal.  55% in the face-off circle.  Excellent 5 on 5 goal scoring.  Can also play wing.

4) Sobotka - see Berglund.  More often a winger, but has played center and great career faceoff numbers.

5) Thompson - 3rd piece of ROR deal   Played 41 games as RW w Stl last year as a rookie, but was drafted as a center.  Booming shot.  Needs to grow into his frame.  Still waiver exempt

6) Reinhart - Drafted as a center, but has found more success as a top 2 line RW.  Improving 2 way game.  Could he get switched back to center to take pressure off Mittelstud?

7) EROD - Utility forward who can play anywhere and has for the Sabres.  Developing a good offensive game.

8.) Girgensons - another utility forward drafted as a center but has found more success of late on LW.  Fast and physical.  

9) Larsson - another utility forward who plays both wing and center.  Not the swiftest Sabres, but kills penalties.  

10) O'Regan - 2017 AHL Rookie of the year acquired in the Kane trade from SJ.  Can he finally win a job in the NHL?  Already 24.

So who gets the jobs?

Right now I'm inclined to go with a bit of a surprise here.  O'Regan steps up and wins the 4th line job with Berglund as the 3rd line center.  Thompson gets sent down to develop.  Larsson is traded and the rest earn wing jobs.

5 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I'm hoping Asplund and Berglund lock up bottom 6 center spots and we never mentioned Larssons name again.

1 minute ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I'm on the Asplund bandwagon....if he needs time in Roch (which I don't think he does) then EROD would be my next thought.

I think the goal is for Asplund to ultimately develop into the 3rd line center behind Jack and Mittelstud.  However, he is starting this year in Roch.  Sexton has said he needs transition time. Sexton has also said they need offense in Roch from the center position and I think they hope Asplund helps there.

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think the goal is for Asplund to ultimately develop into the 3rd line center behind Jack and Mittelstud.  However, he is starting this year in Roch.  Sexton has said he needs transition time. Sexton has also said they need offense in Roch from the center position and I think they hope Asplund helps there.

Asplund has also said he wants to make the roster out of camp.....his play might dictate a different outcome than even management thinks.

I here you and I hear management but , I think he is determined enough to make them change their mind. I could even see him (as you said) pushing for the 3rd line with Berglund and Sobotka . The kid is already seasoned, has the skill, has the speed and tenaciousness to turn some heads.

I won't jump off a cliff if he ends up in Roch and will look forward to his development if need be.....this is just MHO and you are certainly allowed to have yours and I will congratulate you now in case your prediction comes true.

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Then who anchors the 2nd scoring line? Reinhart?

Maybe. 

Casey might grab it too, but we have to remember that whatever the tweeted lineups said, all six games last year Mitts had the responsibilities of a LW, and in the brief couple of periods he was at C I'm almost positive his line did not register a shot attempt, so Phil switched him & ERod again. 

Of course, development is a thing that happens to most teams, even if we haven't seen it for a while, so maybe this year is different in that regard.

51 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Maybe. 

Casey might grab it too, but we have to remember that whatever the tweeted lineups said, all six games last year Mitts had the responsibilities of a LW, and in the brief couple of periods he was at C I'm almost positive his line did not register a shot attempt, so Phil switched him & ERod again. 

Of course, development is a thing that happens to most teams, even if we haven't seen it for a while, so maybe this year is different in that regard.

With the additions to wings (Sheary/Skinner) Casey might look a bit better with an upgrade there. Not sure who his wings were when he played center last year as you said.

2 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Asplund has also said he wants to make the roster out of camp.....his play might dictate a different outcome than even management thinks.

I here you and I hear management but , I think he is determined enough to make them change their mind. I could even see him (as you said) pushing for the 3rd line with Berglund and Sobotka . The kid is already seasoned, has the skill, has the speed and tenaciousness to turn some heads.

I won't jump off a cliff if he ends up in Roch and will look forward to his development if need be.....this is just MHO and you are certainly allowed to have yours and I will congratulate you now in case your prediction comes true.

There’s probably a 99% chance he starts in Rochester barring multiple injuries. There is no need to rush prospects, and Botterill’s philosophy is to let them earn it in the AHL first, unless you are a high end prospect like Dahlin or Mittelstadt, which he isn’t. 

7 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

There’s probably a 99% chance he starts in Rochester barring multiple injuries. There is no need to rush prospects, and Botterill’s philosophy is to let them earn it in the AHL first, unless you are a high end prospect like Dahlin or Mittelstadt, which he isn’t. 

I don't put off the possibility that he has "developed" enough in SHL and internationals to push for the roster with his skills. He's very good 2-way player and likely won't be as great a risk as others might be. Plus, we need another Rasmus on the team...LOL

34 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

But.... if he's better than Larsson and Girgensons out of the gate... why not play him?    Asplund already has 4 years of pro hockey under his belt.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

But.... if he's better than Larsson and Girgensons out of the gate... why not play him?    Asplund already has 4 years of pro hockey under his belt.

Because that’s not how professional hockey works in most cases. You can’t just ignore Girgensons and Larsson’s contract status and experience in the league. Whether you like it or not, GM’s don’t just purge multiple players like that for completely unproven prospects. 

4 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

Because that’s not how professional hockey works in most cases. You can’t just ignore Girgensons and Larsson’s contract status and experience in the league. Whether you like it or not, GM’s don’t just purge multiple players like that for completely unproven prospects. 

They both have 1 year left on their deals.   They're highly expendable.    

If JBOT is truly trying to change the culture I expect at least one of them to be put on waivers.   

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

They both have 1 year left on their deals.   They're highly expendable.    

If JBOT is truly trying to change the culture I expect at least one of them to be put on waivers.   

Girgensons is not getting waived. Larsson, maybe. But a very slight maybe. Botterill’s philosophy on development isn’t a secret, he’s stated it multiple times, unless you just want to ignore it. And it won’t even be Asplund to make the team in favor of a veteran getting waived, it would be Bailey or Baptiste or even Malone. 

5 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

Girgensons is not getting waived. Larsson, maybe. But a very slight maybe. Botterill’s philosophy on development isn’t a secret, he’s stated it multiple times, unless you just want to ignore it. And it won’t even be Asplund to make the team in favor of a veteran getting waived, it would be Bailey or Baptiste or even Malone. 

Girgensons and Larsson are the last remnants of the tank years.   Their presence alone is a drag on the team.

In order for this team to take that next step, they both need to go.    

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Girgensons and Larsson are the last remnants of the tank years.   Their presence alone is a drag on the team.

In order for this team to take that next step, they both need to go.    

They’ll go when their contracts are up. They’re most likely not going to get waived to the AHL and take ice time and roster spots away from prospects. The Sabres aren’t competing for the Stanley Cup this year. It’s ok for them to be on the team. Asplund is 20 years old and has no North American experience. He’s not making the team while getting limited ice time in the bottom 6. He’s going to Rochester and playing in all situations. 

16 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2018/7/19/17589178/rasmus-asplund-ready-make-the-jump-buffalo-sabres-prospect-farjestad-shl-johan-ekberg-scout-report

"While every young player pretty much needs to work on everything, there is nothing in particular for Asplund that comes as a big weakness. Ekberg pointed out him being good at everything is one of his strengths. That could bode well for him as he has had strong development camp performances in Buffalo."

This whole article is good and to me....says he has a chance, a good chance.

21 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2018/7/19/17589178/rasmus-asplund-ready-make-the-jump-buffalo-sabres-prospect-farjestad-shl-johan-ekberg-scout-report

"While every young player pretty much needs to work on everything, there is nothing in particular for Asplund that comes as a big weakness. Ekberg pointed out him being good at everything is one of his strengths. That could bode well for him as he has had strong development camp performances in Buffalo."

A chance for what? To play where? 4th line center? That’s a terrible idea and not going to happen. That article doesn’t mean anything. 

Edited by Amerks8796

23 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

He has never played in NA.  He is going to have to learn to play on a smaller rink and learn the Sabres system.  This is asking a lot.  Also why play the kid 10 minutes a night in Buffalo as a 4th line center, when he can skated 15-18 minutes in Roch and play in all situations.  Which is better for his development? 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

In no scenario do I see Asplund starting the year in Buffalo. That seems to fly against the JBOT philosophy. He's got to prove he can cut it in Rochester. Him being waiver eligible also makes a case for him starting in Rochester. I do expect we'll see him called up during the season.

As to Girgensons or Larsson, I can't wait till they're gone. I can see Girgensons hanging through the year but I won't be surprised to see Larsson waived. There's too many bodies and he always seems to be the odd man out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.