Position Battle: Center

GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

With the additions to wings (Sheary/Skinner) Casey might look a bit better with an upgrade there. Not sure who his wings were when he played center last year as you said.

Definitely, I would certainly try him out at C to see what we have, I just wouldn't be surprised or disappointed in him if he had to stick at wing for now. His wings were Rodrigues and Okposo and they could certainly be upgraded, though I'm not sure they will be and I kinda liked him with those two last season. 

It'll be fun to watch it all play out.

Asplund is waiver exempt not waiver eligible.  Thompson is also waiver exempt still. 

Also the Sabres have 13 players under contract who played 50% or more in the NHL season and only Thompson can be sent down without having to go through waivers. Mittelstadt is the 14th forwrds and is also waiver exempt, but he is on the NHL roster no matter what.  In fact, 9 forward jobs of a possible 13 are already written in pen.  Eichel, Mitts, Reinhart, Okposo, Pommers, Skinner, Sheary, Sobotka and Berglund.  That leaves 4 jobs for vets like Erod (who was one of our better forwards last year and is on a cheap deal), Wilson (who Jbot just re-signed for two more years), Utility forwards Larsson and Girgensons plus Thompson.  That doesn’t include waiver eligible forwards Bailey and Baptiste (who played 33 games w the Sabres last season) or proven AHL forward/c O’Regan. That is a lot of bodies for guys like Asplund to climb over in camp.  Not likely to happen without a significant number of injuries.

In the NHL Networks video on Eichel (45 in their top 50 players) they listed our centers as Eichel, Mitts, Berglund and Larsson.  Girgensons and Sobotka as LWs and Reinhart and Thompson as RWs.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

You guys are funny (and probably think I'm nuts) and are entitled to your opinion just as I am and I applaud that.

However, some of you are putting guys in the line-up or moving guys around (like EROD, Girgs, etc) that don't really make any more sense. Why put EROD at 4th line center when he also has been projected to play as high as the 2nd line? Why Girgs...this is a guy who has played as high as 1st line at one point (think you'll get his best playing 4th line?). Doesn't seem as though anyone wants Larsson here. Demote Reinhart to 3rd or 4th...I don't think so.

Tage Thompson....possible but, he's supposedly gonna be given every opportunity to play a top 6 role. Malone, O'Reagan, Olgelvie, etc.....haven't proven themselves much more than Asplund except they played in NA. 

I know he MIGHT need some transition time but he just MAY be the best option seeing most think he'll be up here this year anyway. Why not wait and see how he performs first and I'll be more than happy to admit I was wrong if there is a better player who proves me wrong. I can see Sobotka being an option realistically but I think he's gonna being playing more in a higher role also.

Good luck with all your predictions, honestly!!!! whatever makes us better ....I'm up for it.

Your prediction fails to acknowledge a couple of important points:

1. Sexton has said, on more than one occasion, that the Swedes (Dahlin an obvious exception) will need time in the AHL to get adjusted to the ice surface and systems. 

2. There's basically 3 guaranteed centers above him in Eichel, Mittelstadt and Berglund. They are absolutely not going to start him as a 4th like center where he would get little ice time and no time on special teams

3. In Rochester, they can bring him along at their pace, get him acclimated to a different surface and allow him all the ice time he needs in every situation. PP, PK, taking a face off in the defensive zone at the end of a game protecting a lead etc. These are situations he’d never see if he started in Buffalo. 

4.  He’s only 20! There’s no rush, and Botterill has repeatedly said he wants to see prospects handle the AHL before they step up to the NHL. Your comments reek of impatience. 

That is the bottom line. And like I said before, multiple injuries is the only way he starts in Buffalo. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

Your prediction fails to acknowledge a couple of important points:

1. Sexton has said, on more than one occasion, that the Swedes (Dahlin an obvious exception) will need time in the AHL to get adjusted to the ice surface and systems. 

2. There's basically 3 guaranteed centers above him in Eichel, Mittelstadt and Berglund. They are absolutely not going to start him as a 4th like center where he would get little ice time and no time on special teams

3. In Rochester, they can bring him along at their pace, get him acclimated to a different surface and allow him all the ice time he needs in every situation. PP, PK, taking a face off in the defensive zone at the end of a game protecting a lead etc. These are situations he’d never see if he started in Buffalo. 

4.  He’s only 20! There’s no rush, and Botterill has repeatedly said he wants to see prospects handle the AHL before they step up to the NHL. Your comments reek of impatience. 

That is the bottom line. And like I said before, multiple injuries is the only way he starts in Buffalo. 

So you do think there is a "possibility"....hahahahahahaha

Thanks for your affirmation.

I also don't see anything confirming or guaranteed as far as this roster, in fact the reverse is true.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again

10 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

So you do think there is a "possibility"....hahahahahahaha

Thanks for your affirmation.

I also don't see anything confirming or guaranteed as far as this roster, in fact the reverse is true.

Yes, it’s not difficult to comprehend what I wrote. If multiple centers get hurt, he might make the team. Shocker. I don’t think that scenario is likely, therefore he will more than likely be in Rochester. But congrats on not refuting a single point of mine  or even having a remotely coherent position of your own. 

Just now, Amerks8796 said:

Yes, it’s not difficult to comprehend what I wrote. If multiple centers get hurt, he might make the team. Shocker. I don’t think that scenario is likely, therefore he will more than likely be in Rochester. But congrats on not refuting a single point of mine  or even having a remotely coherent position of your own. 

Not arguing with you just thought it was funny....that's why the hahahaha.

You on the other hand are arguing my incoherent position which is just my opinion (which I said you might think I'm nuts but is still my opinion which I have a right to just like yourself).

I also said I'd be happy to say I was wrong if it plays out a different way. So let's just keep this friendly,OK?

13 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

Now , on a more friendly note.....I did refute your comments in previous posts....my bad if I thought you kept up with the conversation.

Asplund (if you read the article I posted a link to) has played in mens league in SHL AND in every situation and has done well. Yes I know SHL isn't the NHL but the situations are the same no matter what league.

As for Sexton and Botts, some people here question everything they do from their choice of picks to trades to roster. They themselves would probably admit they aren't perfect in all they do and there is risk in everything. Why should Dahlin be "exempt" from having to acclimate to the smaller rink and a new system? Because he is "generational" talent who has never played on them before? Asplund has been to a couple D-camps and has at least had a small sample of it. Some people think Olofsson might make it out of camp....is this any different? I'm not saying I know more than Sexton or Botts, just my opinion (or more wishful thinking).

31 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Make,

By the way, welcome to the board.  We are happy to have you.  

Are you refering too me? If yes, thank you!!! Been a member for a little while now and have mostly enjoyed everyones opinions and hope I can return the favor at times. 

I like to think a bit off the wall at times but hopefully not too far. Don't ever take offense to anything I say as it won't be intentional. 

I know from the old Sabres message boards that things can sometimes get pretty heated. Mostly because people don't accept that others have an opinion too, no matter how crazy it may seem. I like to get along and like to question things because sometimes people just don't think that there is an alternative to everything.

Please don't hesitate to question me if you feel the need...?

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again

I think if Asplund is among the 10 best forwards in training camp he can make the team. You can’t bend over backwards to create competition like the Sabres have if you have no intention of making that competition honest.

But if he can’t clearly separate himself from Larsson, Girgensons, Bailey Baptiste Wilson Pominville he won’t be in Buffalo.

Edited by dudacek

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He has never played in NA.  He is going to have to learn to play on a smaller rink and learn the Sabres system.  This is asking a lot.  Also why play the kid 10 minutes a night in Buffalo as a 4th line center, when he can skated 15-18 minutes in Roch and play in all situations.  Which is better for his development? 

I agree.....but how well has he already developed is the question. Sexton doesn't really say anything other than he needs the time to adjust (the same for Pilut). If he show's he doesn't need that then what's stopping him from making the roster.  Also, with the other options we have not being of the greatest alternative.....put the best player on the ice.

People are stuck on the adjusting to a smaller rink and at the same time project Dahlin to step in and be a top Dman and Olofsson to make the team possibly. If it's possible for one why not the other? Will it hurt Dahlin's developement or Olofsson? I hope not.

7 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

Dahlin is a generational prospect. Asplund is not even close to his level. And Olofsson isn’t making the Sabres either. 

Their aren't many "generatioal" talents in the league....hence the word "generational". There are possibly many equally or less talented players in the league than Asplund. You know....the roster fillers that fit under the cap but are "servicable". 

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Their aren't many "generatioal" talents in the league....hence the word "generational". There are possibly many equally or less talented players in the league than Asplund. You know....the roster fillers that fit under the cap but are "servicable". 

I don’t know what your point is. You just can’t compare Asplund to Dahlin. They’re not viewed in the same lens. 

8 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

I don’t know what your point is. You just can’t compare Asplund to Dahlin. They’re not viewed in the same lens. 

what's so hard to understand...I wasn't comparing Dahlin and Asplund. I was comparing Asplund to many other players who are in the league showing he has a chance to make it too.

Are you saying that neither Asplund nor Olofsson are on the team at all this year or do you think with a little "transitioning"period they might come up??

14 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

what's so hard to understand...I wasn't comparing Dahlin and Asplund. I was comparing Asplund to many other players who are in the league showing he has a chance to make it too.

Are you saying that neither Asplund nor Olofsson are on the team at all this year or do you think with a little "transitioning"period they might come up??

First, you originally wondered if Dahlin can make the transition to NA so quickly, why can’t Asplund. I was simply responding you you and said they aren’t at the same level and shouldn’t be compared. Period. 

Second, I think both will see call ups throughout the season but won’t become full, regular members of the team until 2019-2020. 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Actually I have questioned the transition for Dahlin as well.  After all we keep saying the SHL D of the year, Pilut, is headed for Rochester while the only 3rd highest scoring D on his own team in the SHL, Dahlin, is headed for Buffalo.

While it is very realistic Dahlin is 3rd pairing out of the gate, there is absolutely no way he isn't on the Sabres come opening night.

Remember, Antipin was often a healthy scratch on a D unit w/ at least 1, if not 2, lesser players than this team will have.  His credentials were comparable to Pilut's.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

While it is very realistic Dahlin is 3rd pairing out of the gate, there is absolutely no way he isn't on the Sabres come opening night.

Remember, Antipin was often a healthy scratch on a D unit w/ at least 1, if not 2, lesser players than this team will have.  His credentials were comparable to Pilut's.

Oh I agree that Dahlin is a great talent and likely ready for the NHL.  My point has always been that we shouldn't sleep on Pilut.  Sadly with Baloo, McCabe, and the additions of Dahlin and Hunwick, I seriously doubt if Guhle or Pilut get a real serious look in camp.

6 hours ago, Amerks8796 said:

This is pretty obnoxious.  Improve your tone.  

I think they want Guhle and Thompson in particular, and, to a lesser extent Oglevie, O’Regan, Pilut, Asplund, Olofsson and/or Nylander to force them to make a move. I think most of them will get very serious looks, but they are going to have to come in and seize a job. It will depend on how good they are and how bad the likes of Beaulieu, Hunwick, Larsson, etc.

The only sure thing at centre is Jack.

I am really curious to see where Phil deploys Casey, Sam, Zemgus, Berglund and Sobotka early in camp.

22 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Oh I agree that Dahlin is a great talent and likely ready for the NHL.  My point has always been that we shouldn't sleep on Pilut.  Sadly with Baloo, McCabe, and the additions of Dahlin and Hunwick, I seriously doubt if Guhle or Pilut get a real serious look in camp.

Edited by dudacek

6 hours ago, pi2000 said:

It's not fair to the rest of the team if Asplund outplays Larsson in camp and then gets sent down.   It sends the wrong message.

This happens every training camp. Veterans usually always get the benefit of the doubt. Look at Moulson last year. He was awful. They still have him some time before waiving him. Asplund can win a permanent job this season, just not in September. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.