Donald J Trump, your thoughts on his Presidency

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, Drunkard said:

He's a Republican where it matters most. He appoints bible thumping conservatives to the courts as he promised. He's also pro tax cut, anti business regulations, anti-environment and anti-immigrant. He's always ready to give the military a blank check, and he's not exactly anti-gun in any way that matters.

So how is he not a conservative, especially in the modern sense? Because of deficit spending or something? Republicans/Conservatives don't give the debt any more than lip service unless a Democrat is in the White House, so I don't see how that even applies.

He's definitely not anti-business regulation, and he's the rest of the things because that's what keeps his base, which in turn feeds his demented ego.

Remember, he was a registered Democrat until 2012 and invited the Clintons to one of his weddings.

All he cares about is feeding the monkey.  For some people, that means drugs; for him, it's an ego thing.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

He's a Republican. And before someone says not really, when the Republican party stops groveling at his feet like he's their emperor, he's a Republican. 

He is their emperor, but not because he's a Republican.  Indeed, the emperor thing is exactly what he wants.

22 minutes ago, Eleven said:

He's definitely not anti-business regulation, and he's the rest of the things because that's what keeps his base, which in turn feeds his demented ego.

Remember, he was a registered Democrat until 2012 and invited the Clintons to one of his weddings.

All he cares about is feeding the monkey.  For some people, that means drugs; for him, it's an ego thing.

I'm not worried about his mindset or his past. His current actions check the Republican boxes (other than the tariffs). Being a former Democrat, having the Clintons at his 3rd wedding, and formerly being pro-choice doesn't amount to a hill of beans when he appoints nothing but evangelicals to the courts, cuts taxes for the wealthiest, and gives the Pentagon a blank check. He seems very anti-regulation as well. He's done everything he can to undo every regulation that Obama put in place whether it was about climate change, pollution, car emissions, or the way the banking industry screws over consumers.

What has more relevance in today's world? Claiming to be "very pro-choice" on some magazine article interview from 10 years ago or putting Cavanaugh on the Supreme Court? Inviting Hillary to his wedding 10 years ago or leading the lock her up chants 3 years ago?

Edited by Drunkard

5 hours ago, Drunkard said:

I'm not worried about his mindset or his past. His current actions check the Republican boxes (other than the tariffs). Being a former Democrat, having the Clintons at his 3rd wedding, and formerly being pro-choice doesn't amount to a hill of beans when he appoints nothing but evangelicals to the courts, cuts taxes for the wealthiest, and gives the Pentagon a blank check. He seems very anti-regulation as well. He's done everything he can to undo every regulation that Obama put in place whether it was about climate change, pollution, car emissions, or the way the banking industry screws over consumers.

What has more relevance in today's world? Claiming to be "very pro-choice" on some magazine article interview from 10 years ago or putting Cavanaugh on the Supreme Court? Inviting Hillary to his wedding 10 years ago or leading the lock her up chants 3 years ago?

Understood; I think that we are coming from different places in our analyses.  I don’t think he is pro life for a minute, but he will pretend to be if that is what he needs to do to get his ego fix. Like a heroin addict will steal, Trump will pander.

So no, I do not think he is a conservative, but he certainly acts like one.

Edited by Eleven

9 hours ago, Eleven said:

He's not a conservative; he's not a liberal.  He's a Trump.  The Trump is for the Trump and nothing else.  

Take a look at the changes in the Conservative party platform.  They are actually modifying their platform to match.  He is the new face of conservativism.

Weird, conservative has become progressive.

Edited by Weave

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Take a look at the changes in the Conservative party platform.  They are actually modifying their platform to match.  He is the new face of conservativism.

Weird, conservative has become progressive.

Huh? What changes? And progressive how?

16 hours ago, Eleven said:

Understood; I think that we are coming from different places in our analyses.  I don’t think he is pro life for a minute, but he will pretend to be if that is what he needs to do to get his ego fix. Like a heroin addict will steal, Trump will pander.

So no, I do not think he is a conservative, but he certainly acts like one.

Yep. I don't buy that he actually believes in all the planks in his platform but in the end it doesn't matter because he knows where his bread is buttered and his platform checks enough boxes to placate the evangelicals, gun advocates, pro military, and people who value tax cuts over everything else. Politicians used to deny or dance around things like litmus tests when choosing judges and Trump is the first guy I can think of who openly said that not only would he have a litmus test, but he let special interests groups draft a list that he promised to choose from.

6 hours ago, Drunkard said:

Yep. I don't buy that he actually believes in all the planks in his platform but in the end it doesn't matter because he knows where his bread is buttered and his platform checks enough boxes to placate the evangelicals, gun advocates, pro military, and people who value tax cuts over everything else. Politicians used to deny or dance around things like litmus tests when choosing judges and Trump is the first guy I can think of who openly said that not only would he have a litmus test, but he let special interests groups draft a list that he promised to choose from.

It's the evangelicals that really surprise me.

10 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It's the evangelicals that really surprise me.

Definitely. I think that's 100% why he released that list of judges drawn up by the Heritage Foundation and he promised he would only selected Justices from that list. It definitely worked, although I'm sure they were more than a few Ministers and other holy men who helped to get their congregations on board with him from the pulpit on Sundays.

On 9/30/2019 at 6:35 AM, LGR4GM said:

Do you support Trump or the Constitution it is that simple. And yes, it is now one or the other. 

Only the Sith deal in absolutes. ?

Seriously though no it’s not that simple. BTW the guy only holds office for four years like every other president. Just breathe. 

6 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Only the Sith deal in absolutes. ?

Seriously though no it’s not that simple. BTW the guy only holds office for four years like every other president. Just breathe. 

He just gave Turkey a green light to invade and kill Kurds. A lot can happen in 4 years. 

He's also calling for 2 members of the House to be arrested for treason. Sounds like a dictator wannabe to me so no I won't "just breathe". Nfreeman said almost the same thing 3 years ago before he closed the politics thread and low and behold, it's a shitshow. 

• Like (+1) 1

Since we don't like CNN articles how about BBC, they seem slightly pissed over this. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-49960973

A spokesman for the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) - which occupy former IS territory in north-eastern Syria - strongly condemned the move, saying they were "assurances from the US that it would not allow any Turkish military operations against the region."

"The [US] statement was a surprise and we can say that it is a stab in the back for the SDF," Kino Gabriel told Arabic TV station al-Hadath.

US Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, a close ally of the president, said the withdrawal was a "disaster in the making", adding that a pullout would be a "stain on America's honor for abandoning the Kurds". Mr Graham said he would introduce a Senate resolution opposing the decision and calling for it to be reversed.

Brett McGurk, former US special presidential envoy for the coalition against IS, said the announcement demonstrated a "complete lack of understanding of anything happening on the ground".

Meanwhile, Kurdish TV in northern Iraq said the SDF had put some of its units on alert because the Turkish army had mobilised troops on the border on Monday

Edited by LGR4GM

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

He just gave Turkey a green light to invade and kill Kurds. A lot can happen in 4 years. 

He's also calling for 2 members of the House to be arrested for treason. Sounds like a dictator wannabe to me so no I won't "just breathe". Nfreeman said almost the same thing 3 years ago before he closed the politics thread and low and behold, it's a shitshow. 

Maybe you should just breathe because now you only see things in black and white. You classify your fellow countrymen as either with you or against you. Last guy that thought like that was Bush and nothing good came of it. 

54 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Maybe you should just breathe because now you only see things in black and white. You classify your fellow countrymen as either with you or against you. Last guy that thought like that was Bush and nothing good came of it. 

That's not what I said. I said "Do you support Trump or the Constitution it is that simple".  

You either support Donald Trump or you support the Constitution of the US. Is has become almost impossible to support both. I see things in many different colors. For example I think Obama did some good things and some bad things. Trump has done some good things (few) but his assault on our democracy is alarming. He has suggested as recently as this morning that the Speaker of the House of Representatives, the 3rd in line to the Presidency be tried for treason.  The time to "breathe" has passed because we are in a crisis. The last guy who thought in black and white is Trump. You are either a supporter of his or he views you as treasonous. If it has come to that than it has come to you either support Trump (wanna be dictator) or you support the Constitution of the United States. This is a rare instance of black and white but you will notice I am not saying if you support trump you aren't american or you are a traitor because I recognize the grey areas that most people are more comfortable in. 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That's not what I said. I said "Do you support Trump or the Constitution it is that simple".  

You either support Donald Trump or you support the Constitution of the US. Is has become almost impossible to support both. I see things in many different colors. For example I think Obama did some good things and some bad things. Trump has done some good things (few) but his assault on our democracy is alarming. He has suggested as recently as this morning that the Speaker of the House of Representatives, the 3rd in line to the Presidency be tried for treason.  The time to "breathe" has passed because we are in a crisis. The last guy who thought in black and white is Trump. You are either a supporter of his or he views you as treasonous. If it has come to that than it has come to you either support Trump (wanna be dictator) or you support the Constitution of the United States. This is a rare instance of black and white but you will notice I am not saying if you support trump you aren't american or you are a traitor because I recognize the grey areas that most people are more comfortable in. 

Ok that makes more sense. I’ll give you the below tweet is unsettling. The thing is it seems we act like every four years there is a reset when actually we are where we are at as a result of Bill, George and Barack.  

“As I have stated strongly before, and just to reiterate, if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I’ve done before!). They must, with Europe and others, watch over...”

I don't want you to think I am attacking you or don't value your insight here SABRES0311. I am just frustrated and see a progressively worsening situation. 

7 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Ok that makes more sense. I’ll give you the below tweet is unsettling. The thing is it seems we act like every four years there is a reset when actually we are where we are at as a result of Bill, George and Barack.  

“As I have stated strongly before, and just to reiterate, if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I’ve done before!). They must, with Europe and others, watch over...”

I saw that just now. I am not even sure what he is on about but he completely screwed over the Kurds. Also he is now threatening Turkey who he basically gave a green light to invade Syria. Foreign policy from Trump is extremely weak. 

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I would add that I find it interesting you are more interested in criticizing my CNN article or the wording of my posts as opposed to the substance of the President and his actions. Why is that?

I have criticized Trump before. For example I am not totally in favor of the wall thing and I think it’s nothing more than an emotional trigger for his supporters. 

I criticized the article because it tries to make the reader believe a crime was committed by saying he must have done something. Just because someone says he did? Not how it works. 

I criticized the post because you made it sound like supporting Trump makes someone unable to support the constitution. Absolutely not true. 

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't want you to think I am attacking you or don't value your insight here SABRES0311. I am just frustrated and see a progressively worsening situation. 

I saw that just now. I am not even sure what he is on about but he completely screwed over the Kurds. Also he is now threatening Turkey who he basically gave a green light to invade Syria. Foreign policy from Trump is extremely weak. 

I don’t take any real personal offense when it comes to politics. I was kind of worried when in 2016 we had two choices you would only see in a bad movie. That’s why I’m saying we are where we are at as a result of past administrations. 

You are right IMHO things are getting worse. We do it to ourselves I think. 

1 hour ago, SABRES 0311 said:

It's like something out of a dystopian novel.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Interesting that the only times Congressional Republicans will chastise Trump is when he pulls troops out of a war zone.

The Kurds are like our only true allies over there. The areas they control are the only ones with relative peace. Hanging them out to dry is the worst decision possible.

This guys gotta go.

11 hours ago, SwampD said:

The Kurds are like our only true allies over there. The areas they control are the only ones with relative peace. Hanging them out to dry is the worst decision possible.

This guys gotta go.

Yeah, I’m not commenting on the validity of the complaint, only on the curiousness of the complaints only occurring because of military matters.

• Like (+1) 1