McCabe, Olofsson and Pominville - Sabres next season?

GASabresIUFAN

Will these guys make the Sabres Opening Day Roster?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. McCabe - 1yr @ $1.6

• Returns to the Sabres for final year of deal
    • Traded to help acquire a top 4 D or top 6 winger
  2. 2. Olofsson - LW/RW - 2 yr ELC

• Surprises in camp and earns a job with the Sabres
    • Gets sent down to learn the NA game.
  3. 3. Pominville - RW - 1 yr left at $5.6

• Returns to the Sabres to finish out his contract (& career?)
    • Gets bought out despite news reports saying no buyouts coming from the Sabres
    • Gets waived and sent down
    • Somehow Jbot trades him before the season starts

Except for October and March, he was objectively terrible.

A 35-year-old passenger who didn’t “teach” anything.

I hope Botterill is not planning for him to be in the starting roster, but I suspect it will take a few months of continued ineffectiveness before they are forced to put him out of his misery and into the press box. He will be handled like Moulson.

Edited by dudacek

Looks like so far I’m the only one who thinks Pommer gets waived and sent down? I’m kinda surprised by that.

I'm with Dudacek: it'll happen, but not to open the season.

The Poll is about the opening day roster and I think Pommers will be on it like it or not, but he could easily be gone 20 games into the season especially if kids play well in Buffalo or Rochester.

Speaking of kids, I'm surprised by how few people think that Olofsson, a proven goal scorer, won't make a team desperate for goal scorers.

Thing with Olafsson is that everyone in the know I’ve heard speak on him thinks he’s Rochester bound. He’s small and not particular fast. Couple that with the Sabres preference to develop players and I think it’s a given he’s an Amerk at least until he shows he can fill the net down there. The fact that he’s kind of a one-trick pony puts him on my long shot with a shot list (but what a shot it is)

Edited by dudacek

Thing with Olafsson is that everyone in the know I’ve heard speak on him thinks he’s Rochester bound. He’s small and not particular fast. Couple that with the Sabres preference to develop players and I think it’s a given he’s an Amerk at least until he shows he can fill the net down there. The fact that he’s kind of a one-trick pony puts him on my long shot with a shot list (but what a shot it is)

But we are desperate for the one trick.  By the way, the scouting reports I have read say his skating is excellent (Dobber and Elite Prospects) and they say he has improved his two way play. He was 5'7" 157 when drafted and is now 5'11 180.

But we are desperate for the one trick.  By the way, the scouting reports I have read say his skating is excellent (Dobber and Elite Prospects) and they say he has improved his two way play. He was 5'7" 157 when drafted and is now 5'11 180.

I grew 4 inches after High School so its possible. 5’11” sounds much better lets see him in action along with Weisbach.... both are intriguing prospects... Sabres need these guys to take the next step.

The Poll is about the opening day roster and I think Pommers will be on it like it or not, but he could easily be gone 20 games into the season especially if kids play well in Buffalo or Rochester.

Speaking of kids, I'm surprised by how few people think that Olofsson, a proven goal scorer, won't make a team desperate for goal scorers.

Objection your honor!  Neither the poll question nor the OP says anything about the opening day roster.

Big win for the mods on this one.

No, just keep assets and don't create holes that will need to be filled 

I think thats part of my thinking though, I don't see McCabe leaving a huge whole. He's a step above a JAG who's trending in a good direction, but not more than that.

I get what you're saying and I don't need him to leave, but he's on my "maybe as part of a package for a bigger fish" list with Girgensons and a few others.

Objection your honor!  Neither the poll question nor the OP says anything about the opening day roster.

Big win for the mods on this one.

Actually this is a series of polls I have started and the initial poll and most of the subsequent polls specifically stated the intent was to establish who would make the opening day roster. In fact, although not explicitly stated in this poll, the previous polls combined with wording like “surprises in camp and makes the team” under Olofsson or the buyout option under Pominville, leave a pretty clear indication this is about the opening day roster.

However, I’ll be happy to edit the poll to include “opening day” for you, although most of the responders ..........

I think McCabe is going to be a big bounceback success story this year.

That would be nice... he plays with an edge... If Risto, Dahlin, McCabe and Bogosian while healthy are on the ice forwards gonna think twice about freewheeling in the zone. That hit on Laine was a beauty. Classic.

I think McCabe is going to be a big bounceback success story this year.

I think that will he/wont he makes him an attractive option for over-payment in a trade. There might be some GM out there who really covets him. It's an intriguing option. 

I like McCabe, he's just a big question mark. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.