The Birth of the Franchise

IKnowPhysics

An old, but very good blog post detailing the early history of the franchise from the (defunct?) sabresfans.com: http://sabresfans.com/2011/06/20/the-birth-of-the-franchise/

Interesting storyline: When the NHL announced expansion plans in 1965, the Knoxes wanted a NHL franchise really badly in Buffalo, but James D Norris, Chairman of the NHL Board of Governors was bitter about a $2M business deal about grain operations that went bad and proclaimed "Buffalo is a bush town. You might as well forget it right now, boys. Buffalo will never get into the NHL as long as I’m involved."  The Knoxes crushed it in the 1966 expansion presentation meetings, but weren't awarded a 1967 expansion franchise because Buffalo.  When Bill Jennings, impressed with the Knoxes'' effort asked, "Your presentation was great, but why do you have to represent Buffalo? Why don’t you select another city?”  The Knoxes responded, "Buffalo is our home and that’s where our hockey team will play."

The impressed Jennings enabled the Knoxes to buy minority share and take control of the California Seals (who were expanded into the league in 1967 and were a mess of an organization, top to bottom), with the idea that the Knoxes could circumvent expansion by buying and moving the flailing Seals to Buffalo.  The league allowed this sale without promising to allow the move, but this was a up, because Labatt's had recently invested in the Seals with the idea of moving them to Vancouver, which in itself was already a up, because the NHL's TV partner, CBS, wanted the NHL to remain in the Oakland TV market despite their failings.  The Knoxes were in a tough position, but leveraged it to advantage Buffalo.  The Knoxes hustled and cleaned up the Seals enough for them to earn their first NHL playoff berth, with the understanding that they would do the work and float the Seals and the league would grant them a team in the next expansion.  Once the NHL expansion fee was settled, the Knoxes sold their share of the Seals and went to work on building the Sabres.

The Seals, after the 1969-70 season and without the Knoxes, would never earn a playoff spot again.  They would relocate to Cleveland in 1976, and later merge into the troubled North Stars in 1978.

---

And there's a fun tidbit at the end that I didn't know: Joe Daly was technically the first Sabres player.

There's a book called Counsel in the Crease by Robert O. Swados.  Swados was a lawyer to the Knoxes and a minor part of the ownership group.  He had a good view of a lot of what was going on in Buffalo sports in the 1960s.  I've heard his account is very slanted (and you can see where he builds his own contribution to the team up, probably beyond the reality), but I still found it an interesting read.  He spoke of the California Seals as well, and the part the Knoxes had in that team prior to getting the Sabres franchise.

If I recall correctly, they also tried to bring in Major League Baseball and were even told informally that they had been awarded a franchise.  At the official announcement though, the Montreal Expos were announced instead.

There's a lot of politics involved in sports.

Edited by Doohickie

There's a book called Counsel in the Crease by Robert O. Swados.  Swados was a lawyer to the Knoxes and a minor part of the ownership group.  He had a good view of a lot of what was going on in Buffalo sports in the 1960s.  I've heard his account is very slanted (and you can see where he builds his own contribution to the team up, probably beyond the reality), but I still found it an interesting read.  He spoke of the California Seals as well, and the part the Knoxes had in that team prior to getting the Sabres franchise.

If I recall correctly, they also tried to bring in Major League Baseball and were even told informally that they had been awarded a franchise.  At the official announcement though, the Montreal Expos were announced instead.

That's really interesting, especially seeing as our ballpark was built for an MLB team and we almost acquired the Giants in the 80's and a expansion team in the early 90's.

That's really interesting, especially seeing as our ballpark was built for an MLB team and we almost acquired the Giants in the 80's and a expansion team in the early 90's.

Suppose the MLB window is completely closed with the blue jays, and the current price tag :p

An old, but very good blog post detailing the early history of the franchise from the (defunct?) sabresfans.com: http://sabresfans.com/2011/06/20/the-birth-of-the-franchise/

Interesting storyline: When the NHL announced expansion plans in 1965, the Knoxes wanted a NHL franchise really badly in Buffalo, but James D Norris, Chairman of the NHL Board of Governors was bitter about a $2M business deal about grain operations that went bad and proclaimed "Buffalo is a bush town. You might as well forget it right now, boys. Buffalo will never get into the NHL as long as I’m involved." The Knoxes crushed it in the 1966 expansion presentation meetings, but weren't awarded a 1967 expansion franchise because Buffalo. When Bill Jennings, impressed with the Knoxes'' effort asked, "Your presentation was great, but why do you have to represent Buffalo? Why don’t you select another city?” The Knoxes responded, "Buffalo is our home and that’s where our hockey team will play."

The impressed Jennings enabled the Knoxes to buy minority share and take control of the California Seals (who were expanded into the league in 1967 and were a mess of an organization, top to bottom), with the idea that the Knoxes could circumvent expansion by buying and moving the flailing Seals to Buffalo. The league allowed this sale without promising to allow the move, but this was a ######up, because Labatt's had recently invested in the Seals with the idea of moving them to Vancouver, which in itself was already a ######up, because the NHL's TV partner, CBS, wanted the NHL to remain in the Oakland TV market despite their failings. The Knoxes were in a tough position, but leveraged it to advantage Buffalo. The Knoxes hustled and cleaned up the Seals enough for them to earn their first NHL playoff berth, with the understanding that they would do the work and float the Seals and the league would grant them a team in the next expansion. Once the NHL expansion fee was settled, the Knoxes sold their share of the Seals and went to work on building the Sabres.

The Seals, after the 1969-70 season and without the Knoxes, would never earn a playoff spot again. They would relocate to Cleveland in 1976, and later merge into the troubled North Stars in 1978.

---

And there's a fun tidbit at the end that I didn't know: Joe Daly was technically the first Sabres player.

And that defunct franchise would eventually be restarted in the Bay Area as the San Jose Sharks. The circle is now complete.

I never knew that other stuff about the Knox's. Thanks.

Suppose the MLB window is completely closed with the blue jays, and the current price tag :p

Buffalo could never financially support another major sports franchise. Just not enough dollars to go around.

I had heard that Bob Rich was offered the chance to buy and move the Expos and declined.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

He is the second most self-indulgent writer I ever have seen.

(The most self-indulgent is a twitter personality who lies about inauguration crowds.)

I would not recommend the book.

The Seals, after the 1969-70 season and without the Knoxes, would never earn a playoff spot again.  They would relocate to Cleveland in 1976, and later merge into the troubled North Stars in 1978.

Wait, so we wound up setting up our own demise? What a crazy coincidence 

He is the second most self-indulgent writer I ever have seen.

(The most self-indulgent is a twitter personality who lies about inauguration crowds.)

I would not recommend the book.

Yes, I understand the self-indulgent remark, but I still found it a worthwhile read.

Wait, so we wound up setting up our own demise? What a crazy coincidence 

That's pretty far removed from 1999.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.