Pominville, Falk and Reinhart - Sabres next Season?

GASabresIUFAN

Sabres Next Season  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Jason Pominville - $5.6 mill for one more season

• Jbot somehow manages to trade him in the off-season
    • Plays out the last season of his contract in Buffalo
    • Sent down to the AHL
    • Contract Bought Out
  2. 2. Justin Falk - UFA

• Signs a new deal and remains with the Sabres as the 8th D
    • Signs a new deal, but gets sent down to the AHL
    • Not offered a new contract
  3. 3. Samson Reinhart - RFA

• Signs a new long term deal
    • Signs a 2-3 year bridge deal
    • Signs a 1 yr 'show me" contract
    • Signs a new deal, but is then traded
    • Rights traded in the off-season
    • Not offered a new contract

Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:44 AM

IN: Eichel, Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Ullmark

In by poll: Bogo, Wilson, Guhle, Ristolainen, Baptiste & ROR

Out: Josefson, Pouliot, Nolan, Moulson and Gorges

Out by Poll: O’Regan & CJ Smith (minors), Larsson, Baloo, and Girgensons (trades), Lehner (Not Qualified)

New Poll:

1) Elder Stateman Jason Pominville

2) LD Justin Falk (UFA)

3) RFA and key scorer Samson Reinhart

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Risto

Dahlin

Scandella

Bogo

McCabe

Nelson

Beaulieu

Guhle

Pilut

Tennyson

Fedun

That’s 11 guys under contract plus Dahlin who could conceivably play in the NHL next year.

Depth on the back line is not a huge issue. Talent might be.

I expect and want Beaulieu, Pilut, Guhle and Nelson competing for the last spot or two.

I’m OK with Falk if the intention is playing him on Rochester, but if we are signing a guy with the NHL in mind, he needs to be a 4/5 or higher.

Edited by dudacek

I could see Falk not getting an offer, but I wouldn't mind him getting a 2 way deal and penciled in Rochester's roster.

Give Falk a 1 way deal & pencil him in for Ra-cha-cha. He automatically clears waivers on day 1, helps make Ra-cha-cha's D one of the tops in the A, and can be brought up if the injury bug hits or if Guhle & Nelson have the "sophomore" slumps &/or Pilut isn't ready for the big time on the small ice.

Seems a meh signing that's also close to a no-brainer.

You’re not getting UFA years from Sam at less than $5 per.

There is an unrealistic sense on here of what guys who have produced the way he has get coming off an ELC.

Wennberg took 4.9 on a six-year deal based on one good season.

Adam Henrique took 4 over 6 coming off a 16-point season.

Nathan McKinnon signed for 7 years @ 6.3 coming off a 21-goal, 52-point year; he scored 152 points over his first three years.

Sam has scored 149 over his first three, including more goals than Nate.

Guys like Stepan, Schwartz and Lindholm took two-year deals of between $2.3 and 3.3, coming off just one good ELC year so maybe a two-year deal of $3.5 is possible.

Personally, I would shoot for a Drouin/Horvat deal; they each signed for 6 years at 5.5 and are the best recent comparables.

Edited by dudacek

I would buy out Pominville unless the cap numbers are stupid (and they might be) because if we don't, Housley has me inclined to believe that he'll be getting not-insignificant ice time, which is one of those small paper cuts that bleeds the team dry by Christmas. 

Having Falk in the proper role is completely fine, he's as good as any other guy that we'd replace him with, presuming he's not in the top 6-7 on opening night.

Reinhart's play has gone up each season so there is hope, I think it's a stretch to think he's more than a 50 pt player at this point but I could be wrong.

Plant him in front of the net and the points will start to pile up.

Falk is going to have a hard time returning to this team in any capacity.

We already have 12 D slated for the NHL or AHL next season including Dahlin and two AHL vets under contract (Fedun and Tennyson). 9 of these guys will be competing for NHL jobs. In theory Guhle and Pilut could be sent down joining Borgen as 3 of our 12 developmental AHL players. However with Percy also likely to return, I doubt Jbot wants to use 4 of our 6 AHL vet slots on D. Don’t forget that there is a good chance that Baloo gets sent down.

We also have two ECHL players, Martin and Stephens, wasting two of our 50 contracts.

I would buy out Pominville unless the cap numbers are stupid (and they might be) because if we don't, Housley has me inclined to believe that he'll be getting not-insignificant ice time, which is one of those small paper cuts that bleeds the team dry by Christmas. 

An outsider looking in sees how many points he got in comparison to the rest of the lineup and says “decent third-liner”

But it’s really just because he’s savvy enough to convert some opportunities when carried by more talented linemates.

He’s not fast enough to play the game we want to play and he acts more like a drag on our skilled centres than a veteran rock.

He brings nothing as a role player.

And his stature means he gets in the way of opportunities that might be better given to some of our younger wingers.

I’m really worried we’ve replaced one Moulson with another.

I'm surprised how little traction this poll got.  I thought we'd see a big Reinhart debate.  Oh well.

Next Poll.  Bailey, Pilut and Scandella I think.

Just the time of year.  Board activity declines quite a bit between seasons.  Myself, I am more focused on Yankees and MLB this time of year.  

Never quite sure how to vote on these polls -  whether to vote on what will likely happen given the Sabres' management, or what we'd  like to see happen.   

I went with option 1, 'likely'.  Pominville back for final year, 2-3 bridge deal for Reinhardt, and Falk AHL'ing it unless called up.     Appears those are the popular choices.  

An outsider looking in sees how many points he got in comparison to the rest of the lineup and says “decent third-liner”

But it’s really just because he’s savvy enough to convert some opportunities when carried by more talented linemates.

He’s not fast enough to play the game we want to play and he acts more like a drag on our skilled centres than a veteran rock.

He brings nothing as a role player.

And his stature means he gets in the way of opportunities that might be better given to some of our younger wingers.

I’m really worried we’ve replaced one Moulson with another.

Agreed. Buy him out, cost be damned.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.