Projected NHL Salary Cap increase per LeBrun

North Buffalo

No ..., but in the post that you responded to me w/ "that's not really accurate," the post you were reponding to WAS in response to a post stating the cap rising was bad for owners.

:rolleyes:

You misunderstood. You were saying there is an estimated increase in owners profit between 93M-213M. That's incorrect logic. Experts are predicting and increase in revenue of 93M, making the cap 78M. The players can choose to inflate 5% a year, even if HRR doesn't call for it, but it would increase the escrow players pay so most players would be making less money and owners making more... understand?

Edit: further clarification.

It would be good for the both parties for the HRR to increase. However at an increase of 7M, it would no longer be increasing because of HRR, but because of the players inflation clause. If the players use the inflation clause, they are technically being paid more then they should, so they will have to pay more % of their paycheck into escrow, meaning less money for the players. The owners will make more money in either scenario. One the HRR has gone up which is obviously more money. The other scenario they pay less escrow, meaning more net earning for them. But saying those increase are between 93-238 million is incorrect profit margins.

Edited by LikeEich

I dare say that Taro understands the details of the salary cap better than most GMs of NHL teams.

He knows and understands and is a veteran poster who I have never witnessed disrespect anyone here.  Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing about everyone else.

Edited by Sabersfläkt i NS

I dare say that Taro understands the details of the salary cap better than most GMs of NHL teams.

He knows and understands and is a veteran poster who I have never witnessed disrespect anyone here. Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing about everyone else.

I don't feel disrespected in any way, gentleman's disagreement is all. I still love you Taro

He knows and understands and is a veteran poster who I have never witnessed disrespect anyone here. Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing about everyone else.

Well go yourself then ;)

You misunderstood. You were saying there is an estimated increase in owners profit between 93M-213M. That's incorrect logic. Experts are predicting and increase in revenue of 93M, making the cap 78M. The players can choose to inflate 5% a year, even if HRR doesn't call for it, but it would increase the escrow players pay so most players would be making less money and owners making more... understand?

No, you misunderstood.

That twitter post stated the cap was expected to go up to $78-82MM/ year which means that HRR is expected to go up at least $186MM. Players get 50% of any HRR, so if HRR was only expected to go up $93MM on the low end, the cap would go up $1.5MM ($93 * 0.50 / 31 = $1.5).

I had a long additional response typed out but have now had my internet crash twice & will not try to resurect it a 3rd time.

No, you misunderstood.

That twitter post stated the cap was expected to go up to $78-82MM/ year which means that HRR is expected to go up at least $186MM. Players get 50% of any HRR, so if HRR was only expected to go up $93MM on the low end, the cap would go up $1.5MM ($93 * 0.50 / 31 = $1.5).

I had a long additional response typed out but have now had my internet crash twice & will not try to resurect it a 3rd time.

Sorry about your internet same thing happened to me on my phone haha... But seriously did you read the link? Read the link and lebruns comment on the link and you'll see what I'm talking about. Doesn't say anywhere the HRR is projected to increase anymore then 186M. Meaning an increase to the cap to 78M. The other 4M increase to 82M would be from the inflator clause that has nothing at all to do with HRR.

I believe the thing you're not understanding is you think HRR Is expected to increase enough to get the cap to between 78-82M. That's not correct. HRR increases are supposed to get the cap to 78M, with the optional inflator that the NHLPA votes on would be the rest of the increase. They have the option every seasons to increase between 0%-5% regardless of where the HRR is at. I feel like I'm repeating the same stuff over and over here

Edited by LikeEich

Sorry about your internet same thing happened to me on my phone haha... But seriously did you read the link? Read the link and lebruns comment on the link and you'll see what I'm talking about. Doesn't say anywhere the HRR is projected to increase anymore then 186M. Meaning an increase to 78M. The other 4M increase to 82M would be from the inflator clause that has nothing at all to do with HRR.

Didn't see a link beyond the twitter page.

But you flat out state "Experts are predicting [sic]and increase in REVENUE of 93M, making the cap 78M." (Emphasis added.) No, that would make the cap go to $76.5MM. I worked the friggin' math out for you in my last post. Now, who needs Sherlock's help? :p

And regardless of what the cap is, the players will see EXACTLY 50% of the audited HRR when all is said & done. So iF the players get an extra $7MM/ team, the owners will also have an extra $213MM gross (but net of player salaries) to work with. If they only get $3MM/team, the owners get $93MM.

And on the off chance that the escrow doesn't cover the overage in cap vs actual, the players THEN would have to give money back.

And a clarification on the escallator. The players invoking it does not mean necessarily that the number is imaginary. It means the players expect the 1st proforma estimate of HRR was too conservative. Both numbers are predictions / estimates & both will assuredly be incorrect. If the prediction/ guess that the cap gets based on was low, the owners hand out bonuses at the end of the year. If the guess was high, the players don't get all the escrow/ give money back. Either way it's a guess & the only way the players pocket ~7MM more per team is if the owners get an extra $213MM.

Edited by Taro T

Didn't see a link beyond the twitter page.

But you flat out state "Experts are predicting [sic]and increase in REVENUE of 93M, making the cap 78M." (Emphasis added.) No, that would make the cap go to $76.5MM. I worked the friggin' math out for you in my last post. Now, who needs Sherlock's help? :p

And regardless of what the cap is, the players will see EXACTLY 50% of the audited HRR when all is said & done. So iF the players get an extra $7MM/ team, the owners will also have an extra $213MM gross (but net of player salaries) to work with. If they only get $3MM/team, the owners get $93MM.

And on the off chance that the escrow doesn't cover the overage in cap vs actual, the players THEN would have to give money back.

And a clarification on the escallator. The players invoking it does not mean necessarily that the number is imaginary. It means the players expect the 1st proforma estimate of HRR was too conservative. Both numbers are predictions / estimates & both will assuredly be incorrect. If the prediction/ guess that the cap gets based on was low, the owners hand out bonuses at the end of the year. If the guess was high, the players don't get all the escrow/ give money back. Either way it's a guess & the only way the players pocket ~7MM more per team is if the owners get an extra $213MM.

the 93M I got from your post and was only using that figure to make my point easier to understand. Experts are predicting a cap increase to 78M, with any additional increase being because of the inflator. Of course that's what the projections are showing today and not set in stone.

The cap being 82M does not mean the owners made 213M more . But keep talking in circles seems to be working for you

the 93M I got from your post and was only using that figure to make my point easier to understand. Experts are predicting a cap increase to 78M, with any additional increase being because of the inflator. Of course that's what the projections are showing today and not set in stone.

Well, 2 things: $82MM is more than 5% greater than $78MM & the players have experts that are anticipating more than a $186MM increase in HRR. Their experts are estimating a $426MM increase to keep from giving back up to $156MM in undistributed escrow. ;)

Pretty sure I am done w/ this topic.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.