Should Eichel sit a game?

PASabreFan

He's made a few mistakes turning the puck over or trying to do a little too much - but overall he is playing fantastic, IMO.  He gives us a handful of very real opportunities to score each game.  He's no where near needing to sit.  We aren't winning, he's pissed, so what.  

A bit more extreme perhaps, but how about stripping the A from Eichel and telling him to wait another year or two before consideration of any type of leadership position?

It take more than a $10 million a year contract and "generational talent" media hype to become a team captain. Stop acting like a petulant child when things go wrong on the ice. Stop running head coaches out of town. Start acting like a leader who inspires and rallies teammates. And start scoring goals at a 20+ per season pace.

A bit more extreme perhaps, but how about stripping the A from Eichel and telling him to wait another year or two before consideration of any type of leadership position?

It take more than a $10 million a year contract and "generational talent" media hype to become a team captain. Stop acting like a petulant child when things go wrong on the ice. Stop running head coaches out of town. Start acting like a leader who inspires and rallies teammates. And start scoring goals at a 20+ per season pace.

I'll take "things that only happen inside the heads of angry, deluded fans, which possess no tangible evidence other than what they claim to see on a television screen hundreds of miles away" for $500, Alex

I'll take "things that only happen inside the heads of angry, deluded fans, which possess no tangible evidence other than what they claim to see on a television screen hundreds of miles away" for $500, Alex

The contract, hype and petulance are objectively real. Only the coach-killer claim is up for debate. And that probably happened.

The contract, hype and petulance are objectively real. Only the coach-killer claim is up for debate. And that probably happened.

"Petulant child" is not objective whatsoever. I see McDavid and 3x Stanley Cup winner Crosby "whine" and look to the sky just as often. Those things don't say anything fundamental about Jack or hockey or anything. They don't have any impact and shouldn't be treated as some hard-line checkmark against "character" and "intangibles" and stuff like that. 

The fact that it isn't objective is illustrated by the simple fact that I, a human fan with observations just as valuable as the next human fan, have zero issue with his on-ice mannerisms. 

And we have no idea whether his leadership skills are at fault. Especially since that poster and everyone else on the board agrees that the talent deficit we are facing is huge. Certainly far too huge for "better leadership from Jack" to make a difference. Which again requires a monstrous assumption of what is going on with zero actual evidence. So I won't lean on any fan's interpretation of what could possibly be going on in the locker room. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

No.

Let him play through this learning process.

I really think he and the rest are learning a new system on the fly and that is the biggest issue.

That said, our roster is severely lacking talent, especially the bottom six forwards and bottom 5 Dmen.

You mean the whole team...

"Petulant child" is not objective whatsoever. I see McDavid and 3x Stanley Cup winner Crosby "whine" and look to the sky just as often. Those things don't say anything fundamental about Jack or hockey or anything. They don't have any impact and shouldn't be treated as some hard-line checkmark against "character" and "intangibles" and stuff like that. 

The fact that it isn't objective is illustrated by the simple fact that I, a human fan with observations just as valuable as the next human fan, have zero issue with his on-ice mannerisms. 

And we have no idea whether his leadership skills are at fault. Especially since that poster and everyone else on the board agrees that the talent deficit we are facing is huge. Certainly far too huge for "better leadership from Jack" to make a difference. Which again requires a monstrous assumption of what is going on with zero actual evidence. So I won't lean on any fan's interpretation of what could possibly be going on in the locker room. 

Actually, no, sorry but I don't agree that the talent on this roster is so poor as to warrant a 30th out of 31 points-per-game league ranking.

My very subjective opinion is that there is something else seriously wrong with this team that goes beyond talent, injuries, luck, or the learning curve for Housley's new "system."

You can agree or disagree with me, but I choose to blame player leadership. I'm just going off of numerous player interviews where the team itself has admitted that there are problems with work ethic, lack of attention to detail, players not buying in, poor communication, etc... going back a full year well before Housley. Eichel, one of 4 players wearing the "A" and the unofficial leader of the team since 2015 by virtue of being the marquee name, will naturally have a bullseye on him. You seem overly fixated on my possible reaction to his on-ice mannerisms, but I'm formulating an opinion based on the totality of behavior, which includes performances and efforts during games, player interviews, sports journalists' team coverage, and yes - admittedly - even internet rumors on the idea that sometimes where there's smoke, there's also fire.

Just to be clear, I don't think Eichel's possible leadership issues are remotely close to #1 on what's wrong with this franchise, nor do I think these issues can't be fixed in the course of time. But what's curious to me is the emotional reaction that criticism of certain perceived sacred cows around here will elicit. For anyone demanding that I provide conclusive "proof" of Eichel's poor leadership: get the over yourself. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.