Johan Larsson: Does he belong on this team?

LGR4GM

This boards opinion of Johan are alll over the map. I think he's actually good. I like him at center and think he has more offense to add to the team. Before he plays on a better line I would like to hear some opinions of others.

You'd like him at C but your preference is to see him at wing? Now, who's opinion is all over the map?

You'd like him at C but your preference is to see him at wing? Now, who's opinion is all over the map?

I wouldn't mind him at wing with Reinhart because I think they compliment eachother. I like him as a center but I don't want him as the 4th line center. If he's going to be the 3rd line center, I can live with that. 

Edited by LGR4GM

I wouldn't mind him at wing with Reinhart because I think they compliment eachother. I like him as a center but I don't want him as the 4th line center. If he's going to be the 3rd line center, I can live with that.

What of his play at wing do you believe compliments Reinhart's work at C?

I like Larsson's hustle and edge but I think he has hands of stone -- i.e. I don't think he can pass it or shoot it -- and thus does not belong on a line with scorers.

4th-line C and PKer is my preference for him.

I think we're seeing a promotion to #3 C out of desperation.

I think they would have chemistry.

That wasn't the question.

Though, when you get around to answering what of Larsson's play at wing do you believe compliments Reinhart's play at center, perhaps you would be kind enough to also answer what in there play indicates they'd have chemistry & how that chemistry is better served by having Larsson play at a position he has performed poorly at in the NHL & by having Reinhart play a position that his NHL coaches have only run extremely brief experiments before moving him back to wing.

Are you okay? You seem a little aggressive. I think that Larsson's ability to get into open space and his puck pursuit would compliment Reinhart's ability to find people in space and his shooting abilities. Who should play center, doesn't really matter as long as they produce. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Are you okay? You seem a little aggressive. I think that Larsson's ability to get into open space and his puck pursuit would compliment Reinhart's ability to find people in space and his shooting abilities. Who should play center, doesn't really matter as long as they produce between them they are responsible defensively. 

fify

I like Johan. He can agitate, he can wear down opposition mentally. He's occasionally, but inconsistently, potted timely scoring. I feel that's quintessential playoff contribution from a 3rd/4th liner. The past two seasons he had many solid games with Foligno and Gionta as an effective 3rd line. Now, if we have two functioning superstar centers, then Larsson can be a 3C and we can find a 4C. But if we have true center depth (Eichel, ROR, Reinhart), then Larsson becomes a perfect 4C. The first few games we've been discombobulated and therefore no one looks good, but I'd like to revisit Jack/ROR/Rhino/Larry once the team gels and starts looking like a team.

Long-term, does Larsson have the speed to be 4C (all forecheck all the time) on a Botterill/Housley roster? If not, then the answer is no. If the playoffs look like a pipe dream, then trade him at the deadline, play Josefson as 3/4C the rest of the way, and hope Asplund is ready to take the 3/4C spot next season. Next Swede up.

The thing I notice about him is that when he is involved in the play (usually along the boards), he goes in head first and the puck always goes in the direction he wants it to be going. It's ugly, and slow, and sometimes looks like the Tasmanian Devil while doing it (just a dust cloud with a skate/stick/elbow/helmet sticking out), but it goes in the direction he wants.

The thing I notice about him is that when he is involved in the play (usually along the boards), he goes in head first and the puck always goes in the direction he wants it to be going. It's ugly, and slow, and sometimes looks like the Tasmanian Devil while doing it (just a dust cloud with a skate/stick/elbow/helmet sticking out), but it goes in the direction he wants.

I like this description, and this quality, along with pretty good hockey IQ is IMHO what makes him a good #4 C and viable #3 C in a pinch.  I just think though that he has zero offensive talent and is thus best suited for a 12-to-14 min per game checking forward/PK role (as I would prefer that the Sabres third line contribute more offense than I think a line centered by Larsson is capable of).

I like this description, and this quality, along with pretty good hockey IQ is IMHO what makes him a good #4 C and viable #3 C in a pinch.  I just think though that he has zero offensive talent and is thus best suited for a 12-to-14 min per game checking forward/PK role (as I would prefer that the Sabres third line contribute more offense than I think a line centered by Larsson is capable of).

This.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.