GDT Buffalo Prospects Challenge New Jersey 9-8-17 7:00

rakish

I'm not really making these thoughts as a result of what I'm watching today, but this game hasn't shifted me away from them one bit. 

Warning: Hot takes will anger a lot of people. 

I will forever be mad at Nylander for not being Charlie MacAvoy, and will forever not understand why people wouldn't have traded this pick (even after it was made) for the 1D on a perennial western conference finals team. Alex will never have that value for this franchise, IMO. I've never seen the guy look like he belongs to the team he's on the ice with, which is something I haven't felt when watching a hockey player since Max. His "skills" are the "I spend so much time stickhandling through pucks and picking corners" practice ones, and not the "I'm an effective NHL player" ones. 

Bailey is not an NHLer. He dances around a lot and has a sometimes-nifty shake move on the boards, but his brain will never be with his hands and feet. 

I'm excited for Guhle more than the rest of these guys combined. 

And, Glotov needs to keep simmering. Dude has some real hockey sense and loads of enthusiasm. 

Again, these aren't opinions I'm drawing from a September prospect scrimmage - the hockey is merely letting them flow again, they're things I haven't thought about for a while since hockey has been dry. 

Sorry not sorry

I'm not really making these thoughts as a result of what I'm watching today, but this game hasn't shifted me away from them one bit. 

I will forever be mad at Nylander for not being Charlie MacAvoy, and will forever not understand why people wouldn't have traded this pick (even after it was made) for the 1D on a perennial western conference finals team. Alex will never have that value for this franchise, IMO. I've never seen the guy look like he belongs to the team he's on the ice with, which is something I haven't felt when watching a hockey player since Max. His "skills" are the "I spend so much time stickhandling through pucks and picking corners" practice ones, and not the "I'm an effective NHL player" ones. 

Bailey is not an NHLer. He dances around a lot and has a sometimes-nifty shake move on the boards, but his brain will never be with his hands and feet. 

And, Glotov needs to keep simmering. Dude has some real hockey sense and loads of enthusiasm. 

Again, these aren't opinions I'm drawing from a September prospect scrimmage - the hockey is merely letting them flow again, they're things I haven't thought about for a while since hockey has been dry. 

Sorry not sorry

To your point, I do have some apprehension about Nylander. As you said, it's not solely coming from tonight, tonight is just bringing back those feelings. And I was a huge fan of him when he was drafted. Maybe I'm being a little impatient with his development, who knows. But I want to see more from him.

Sorry not sorry

I've had/have exactly the same doubts about Bailey and Nylander.

I keep telling myself Bailey is an amazing athlete who has made himself better every year he's been in the organization (simple truth).

And Alex Nylander's skills will never fully materialize until he plays with players at a similar level (has yet to happen since we picked him and it isn't happening tonight)

Don't know if Bailey will ever be an NHLer. Am certain Nylander will be, but he has a good chance of being another Miro Satan - he'll wow you from time to time, but  more about flash and stats than winning.

Sorry, not sorry.

That pass and burst is why we drafted Alex Nylander.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.