Samson the Reinharted: What do you expect of him?

LGR4GM

What this mostly tells me is that Botteril doesnt yet know what Sams position is on this team.

You can't negotiate with a guy when his role is still undetermined. We're not giving a winger a center contract and Sam isnt accepting winger pay if he expects to be a center. This is his season to define his role.

This makes sense. 

From WGR online:

We have him under contract for another year and we’ll see how things play out and go from there.”

Of course, Eichel is a different story according to the GM, “I’ve been through some of those discussions before when we did Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin, you’re excited to get an elite player under contract.”

Sounds like a solid vote of no-confidence/on the trading block.

Or alternately, trying to light a fire under him.

Edited by Doohickie

From WGR online:

Sounds like a solid vote of no-confidence/on the trading block.

Or alternately, trying to light a fire under him.

Right now, Reinhart almost certainly expects himself to play well enough to earn more money w/ another season under his belt.

Can't see Botteril offering him today what he'd want. Waaaay too much uncertainty. Is he the 1st line RW, 2nd line RW, 2nd line C, or 3rd C? Each will bring a much different payout most likely. And, as of today he's either 2RW or 3C. Neither of which gets an Eichel-ish deal. He's probably ~2-3 seasons of seasoning away from stepping into 1R or 2C. Give him the bridge after this season & let him earn an O'Reilly-ish deal after the bridge.

None of which says trading block nor no-confidence IMHO.

Right now, Reinhart almost certainly expects himself to play well enough to earn more money w/ another season under his belt.

Can't see Botteril offering him today what he'd want. Waaaay too much uncertainty. Is he the 1st line RW, 2nd line RW, 2nd line C, or 3rd C? Each will bring a much different payout most likely. And, as of today he's either 2RW or 3C. Neither of which gets an Eichel-ish deal. He's probably ~2-3 seasons of seasoning away from stepping into 1R or 2C. Give him the bridge after this season & let him earn an O'Reilly-ish deal after the bridge.

None of which says trading block nor no-confidence IMHO.

3 year bridge?

3 year bridge?

It's late & I'm beat, but that would still leave 1 more RFA year, right?

If so, that's what I'd expect & by then they decide if he's that 4th/5th piece of the core or if he's expendable (aka, is he Eric Staal or Jordan Staal? ;)).

It's late & I'm beat, but that would still leave 1 more RFA year, right?

If so, that's what I'd expect & by then they decide if he's that 4th/5th piece of the core or if he's expendable (aka, is he Eric Staal or Jordan Staal? ;)).

Makes sense.

Has anyone heard Botterill mention anything in regards to whether or not he'd be open to contract talks with Sam (or anyone) mid-season? Or is he strictly an offseason guy for contract negotiations.

Money can buy you a fine dog, but only love can make him wag his tail.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.