Will Anyone On Rochester Ever Surprise Us?

CallawaySabres

Aside for the obvious players that are picked number 1 or 2 in the draft, I am having a hard time thinking of that guy who comes out of nowhere (or at least after round 1) and turns into a top player for the Sabres. Maybe all these other guys I read about on other teams were drafted in the top 5 and blossomed but I just don't have any names come to mind for Buffalo??

Linus Ullmark, Hudson Fasching, Justin Bailey, Nick Baptiste, Casey Nelson, Eric Cornel, Sean Malone, CJ Smith, there will be plenty of solid players in Rochester this year, and they're all still really young...Giorgio Estephen, Rasmus Asplund, Cliff Pu, Brandon Hagel, Will Borgen, Casey Fitgerald, Philip Nyberg, Brett Murray, Victor Olofsson, Jonas Johansson, they could all see time in Rochester in 1-2 years too, and become good players.

The whole entire organization has been being rebuilt, this stuff takes time...especially the development of players drafted after the 1st round.

Edited by Dank Dangleson

I think that the fact that this is even a question for discussion (and a legit one) says all that needs to be said about the quality of the Sabres/Americans coaching over the past 5 plus years.

There's talent there to be developed. Part of the problem is this club is pi** poor at developing it.

Would people agree that the ability to develop young talent is an indicator of a strong organization?

If Buffalo could do this, we wouldn't be sitting around watching hockey in other city's arenas every May.

Edited by Tom Backyard

Linus Ullmark, Hudson Fasching, Justin Bailey, Nick Baptiste, Casey Nelson, Eric Cornel, Sean Malone, CJ Smith, there will be plenty of solid players in Rochester this year, and they're all still really young...Giorgio Estephen, Rasmus Asplund, Cliff Pu, Brandon Hagel, Will Borgen, Casey Fitgerald, Philip Nyberg, Brett Murray, Victor Olofsson, Jonas Johansson, they could all see time in Rochester in 1-2 years too, and become good players.

The whole entire organization has been being rebuilt, this stuff takes time...especially the development of players drafted after the 1st round.

I'm still holding out hope for Mat Bodie.

I think that the fact that this is even a question for discussion (and a legit one) says all that needs to be said about the quality of the Sabres/Americans coaching over the past 5 plus years.

There's talent there to be developed. Part of the problem is this club is pi** poor at developing it.

Would people agree that the ability to develop young talent is an indicator of a strong organization?

If Buffalo could do this, we wouldn't be sitting around watching hockey in other city's arenas every May.

As someone who has attended too many Amerks games the last few years, I'd say coaching is nowhere near the top of the list of issues going on with the farm system.

First and foremost, having Eichel, Reinhart and Risto spend practically no time in Rochester (which was the first right thing to do IMHO) severely depleted the talent pool. That's 3 years of first rounders who barely sniffed Rochester (for those who have been here, sniffing around town isn't recommended).

Secondly, GMTM definitely hurt the cause by shipping out Lemieux, Arma, McNabb, Compher, etc.

Lastly, the vets that were brought in didn't work out. Not sure what it was but almost unilaterally they all sucked.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.