Kane To Be Traded? What Can We Get?

GASabresIUFAN

I'd trade Kane, end of story. I just don't trust him as a person. He is likely a problem child in the locker room and I'm unwilling to give a guy with his persona a large long term contract. The sad part to me is he's the player I've always wanted in terms of on ice style. Fast, hard hitting, eats nails and can score goals. 

Also I can't see us keeping him and Reinhart and I'll vote for Reinhart every time over Kane's questionable off ice stuff.

I read on capfriendly that someone heard on the radio in Chicago the idea of Kane(50%) retained for Anisimov. And while we are desperate for D, I'd take that trade since I think he'd be a great LW for Eichel since he knows how to play with puck possessing speedsters and play D.

No. Just no.

No idea on the package, but the name that was mentioned, i forget who said it, maybe the guy in Boston (Murphy's law, who was wrong on our GM pick), that Torey Krug would be involved in a package.

Depending on the return, it'd be a pretty nice haul for Boston to turn a undrafted free agent into Evander Kane.

I continue to feel that:

- Unless there are reasons the public doesn't know, the Sabres would be crazy to trade Kane. 

- There is a reasonable likelihood that those non-public reasons exist, e.g.:

- he may have told the team that he wants to explore FA

- he could be a huge problem in the locker room or at practice

- he could have a pathological issue with assaulting women

- I wouldn't be surprised if the first possible reason were in fact true; I would be fairly surprised if either of the other 2 possible reasons were true.  Still, there is some possibility of truth in each of them.

- Anaheim isn't going to trade for Kane.  He doesn't fit their budget.

- Kane isn't going to sign here for less than what KO got.

- Assuming none of the disqualifying factors exists, I would gladly extend Kane for a KO-level contract.

Yes, yes and yes. 

Did I say yes? 

I continue to feel that:

- Unless there are reasons the public doesn't know, the Sabres would be crazy to trade Kane.

- There is a reasonable likelihood that those non-public reasons exist, e.g.:

- he may have told the team that he wants to explore FA

- he could be a huge problem in the locker room or at practice

- he could have a pathological issue with assaulting women

- I wouldn't be surprised if the first possible reason were in fact true; I would be fairly surprised if either of the other 2 possible reasons were true. Still, there is some possibility of truth in each of them.

- Anaheim isn't going to trade for Kane. He doesn't fit their budget.

- Kane isn't going to sign here for less than what KO got.

- Assuming none of the disqualifying factors exists, I would gladly extend Kane for a KO-level contract.

This is all very logical.

Here is something that is not. According to the internet:

* Evander Kane is too risky a personality to trade anything of significance to acquire

* Evander Kane is going to get a big money long-term deal

Do we really think there is no GM out there willing to give up an unproven but talented young defenceman for him, but there are multiple GMs willing to hand him $30 million? How can both scenarios be true?

Edited by dudacek

Do we really think there is no GM out there willing to give up an unproven but talented young defenceman for him, but there are multiple GMs willing to hand him $30 million? How can both scenarios be true?

I think each category (willing to trade a young D for Kane; willing to give Kane a big contract) includes several GMs.

In other words, I fully expect that if Kane is traded, there will be a respectable young D coming back.

However, it's important to remember that no GM is going to trade a good, young D with potential for Kane unless that GM has a deal in place with Kane for an extension -- and that factor reduces the number of possible trade partners (and, as I've mentioned previously, eliminates Anaheim).

So the number of GMs who are willing to give Kaner a big contract as a FA will be higher -- probably much higher -- than the number of GMs who are willing and able to give the Sabres a good young D for Kaner AND give Kaner a big contract.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.