GDT: Arizona v. Buffalo, 3/2/17 at 7:05 MSG and WGR

That Aud Smell

he's much better than a 3rd liner and would need better wingers than 3rd line

That's been discussed to death.

1. You don't necessarily put your top 6 players on the top 2 lines.  I can make sense to put a player with top 6 ability on the third line.

2. If you take it as a given that ROR and Jack center the top two lines and you want Sam to center a line.... it kinda has to be the third line, innit?

Really only 3 observations stand out for me from that game last night

1) Bogosian played that 2 v 1 the worst I've ever seen in my life. Not only did he miss the first pass, which was right next to him, but then he stopped skating and therefore missed the 2nd pass, which again, would have been right next to him

2) Okposo has terrible, terrible hands

3) Rodrigues is extremely impressive. He makes every little play, and he plays the game just like Jack does. He shoots when he should shoot, makes the right pass every time, and creates offense. The kid is extremely impressive. Good on GMTM for picking him undrafted 

It's just not happening. And if the mentality in the room is that *now* is the time to knuckle down and get to work, then the locker room is well and truly f*cked. 

I think you wrongly infer that this was not the mentality three weeks ago, three months ago. Which brings me to

you have to have the attitude of never say die regardless of poor performances in the past at least until you are officially eliminated. If you don't then the locker room is well and truly f*cked.

^

QFT.

1) Bogosian played that 2 v 1 the worst I've ever seen in my life. Not only did he miss the first pass, which was right next to him, but then he stopped skating and therefore missed the 2nd pass, which again, would have been right next to him

3) Rodrigues is extremely impressive. He makes every little play, and he plays the game just like Jack does. He shoots when he should shoot, makes the right pass every time, and creates offense. The kid is extremely impressive. Good on GMTM for picking him undrafted 

On #1, Bogosian regaining form as an okay second pairing d-man is one of the principal reasons this team could make progress next year.

On #2, he had a rough game all around. I have never noticed him having bad hands. I will pay more attention going forward.

On #3, if he can keep this up (that is a significant "if"), he will have earned a permanent spot on the team's 4th line. Such a smart, hard-working player.

I think you wrongly infer that this was not the mentality three weeks ago, three months ago. Which brings me to

^

QFT.

Do you see this garbage about the team really loving a pep talk from GMTM, like he came down from the mountain with tablets of stone? These guys are all full of sh*t. Does GMTM need to give an inspirational pep talk if the team hasn't been mailing it in for weeks?

The time for all of this feel good believe in yourself bullsh*t was when the playoffs were still in reach.

But they got a pep talk from ol Timmy! Now they're gonna really try! You'll see! They're gonna try to make the playoffs now!

giphy.gif

Do you see this garbage about the team really loving a pep talk from GMTM, like he came down from the mountain with tablets of stone? These guys are all full of sh*t. Does GMTM need to give an inspirational pep talk if the team hasn't been mailing it in for weeks?

The time for all of this feel good believe in yourself bullsh*t was when the playoffs were still in reach.

But they got a pep talk from ol Timmy! Now they're gonna really try! You'll see! They're gonna try to make the playoffs now!

giphy.gif

Jesus, dude. 

How exactly are you piecing together this crystal clear picture of what's happening with the team? Is it from Ham Sandwich's breathy/breathless coverage?

You may want to up the dosage.

Open your eyes. 

Up the dosage.

My eyes are open, sir.

What leads you to believe that the team wasn't hell bent on making a playoff push back when the thing was more attainable?

Eichel's tantrum in Boston didn't suit you?

Looking at what's being reported now, and inferring that the team has some fundamental character flaw because they're only now awakening to the urgency with which they need to play is ... is ... I dunno. Some serious Team Storm Cloud stuff (do I have it right?). 

Edited by That Aud Smell

Up the dosage.

This team is a mess dude. The players all need their hands held, the coach has so little influence on the room that the GM needs to come down and give em a little spirit pick me up (which, for the love of god, actually seems to have mattered). 

I need these losers to stop with the BS, play hard to the last game, and then focus on their off-season prep. 

If working hard and believing in themselves is such a damn problem, ship em off to BC to plant saplings in 100* heat for the summer. Then we'll see if they need some coddling from the GM. 

Good god. 

To be fair, I blame Dan for this entirely. Whether GMTM wants to admit it or not. This team is mentally fubar'd and it's got Dreary Dan written all over it. 

^

I'm not sure how you put all that together based on what's actually knowable about the team.

Who exactly needs their hands held?

And did GM TM come down to give a pep talk because of Hot Daniel's lack of influence or because the trade deadline (over which he presided) had just passed (and he had arguably thrown some shade on a couple of players)? My view is that it was the latter.

Did the pep talk have any real influence on the team's actual performance? My view is most likely not - the team played much the same way they have been playing of late (scoring goals, surrendering leads), except it was against a terrible team.

And who said working hard and believing in themselves is such a problem? You did.

I think you're looking at things in a way so as to have your biases confirmed. No shame in that, really.

^

I'm not sure how you put all that together based on what's actually knowable about the team.

Who exactly needs their hands held?

And did GM TM come down to give a pep talk because of Hot Daniel's lack of influence or because the trade deadline (over which he presided) had just passed (and he had arguably thrown some shade on a couple of players)? My view is that it was the latter.

Did the pep talk have any real influence on the team's actual performance? My view is most likely not - the team played much the same way they have been playing of late (scoring goals, surrendering leads), except it was against a terrible team.

And who said working hard and believing in themselves is such a problem? You did.

I think you're looking at things in a way so as to have your biases confirmed. No shame in that, really.

I'm looking at it based on the totality of what we have seen from the team this season. An inability to string wins together, an inability to show up ready to play, players in leadership roles like ROR saying they're not trying hard enough, wins against teams that are very good followed up by losses to the worst teams in the league. I could keep going but I just don't care. 

Regarding the first bolded, maybe GMTM shouldn't be throwing shade? Or do the players deserve it? Pick one. Was GMTM apologizing, or kicking them in the ass? Pick one.

Regarding the second bolded, Eichel says that GMTM came down and told them he believes in them. He says it impacted them. I didn't say it, they did. 

This team is a mental travesty. And Disco Dan is to blame. 

1) Yep, I called him out during the game.

2) And yet here he is, second in goal scoring for the team.  We've bemoaned the absence of a finisher for a while.  He may suck, but at least he finishes (current slump notwithstanding)

3) ERod doesn't have the raw talent that Jack has, but he does have a head for the game and almost always makes the smart play.  His speed is solid, though not exceptional.  He seems ready for NHL-level play.

Oh and Domi is a little bitch. Definitely vaulted into my top players to hate

Not me.  I think the Sabres can handle him without getting off their game.  And if he can't get us out of our game, what purpose does he serve?  None.

I see smoke. Lots of it. 

Maybe it will clear up if you stop spinning your own wheels.

Okposo must be doing something right to average 22 goals a season Edited by inkman

One of my pre-season predictions was that he would make the team out of training camp.   He looked this good at the end of last season as well.    IMO he provides more value to this team than Larsson, he just has better offensive instincts and ability than Larsson does.

Think what you want. I see smoke. Lots of it. 

I'm quite sure that's what you see.

Okposo must be doing something right to average 22 goals a season

Re the hands issue, I think it's an interesting distinction. Okposo is a good shooter and has good instincts on getting himself in scoring positions. But I think the point was that he doesn't have the hands that enable a player to pick up ~6 garbage goals a season. Remember that weird one Gionta got a little while ago? Those are some nice hands right there.

I'm quite sure that's what you see.

Re the hands issue, I think it's an interesting distinction. Okposo is a good shooter and has good instincts on getting himself in scoring positions. But I think the point was that he doesn't have the hands that enable a player to pick up ~6 garbage goals a season. Remember that weird one Gionta got a little while ago? Those are some nice hands right there.

Banking it off the goalie against Nashville?  Yeah, that was kind of fluky.  And you're right, Oks doesn't seem to score that way.

In that same vein, did you see Samson's empty netter?  Same kind of thing- banked it off OEL (although he was trying to pass, not score, at that point).  Earlier in the game Sam tried to bring the puck up from beside the net and almost scored by stickhandling between his own legs.  I can't picture Oks even attempting that.

He's not as physical/gritty as Larsson or Zemgus but if you're playing smart that isn't required nearly as much.

ERod is just smooth.  There's chaos and all of a sudden he makes one pass and the Sabres are moving up the ice.

In today's NHL you need more guys like ERod in your lineup.    IMO the Larsson's and Girgenson's, guys who can check but don't put up points, don't belong in the modern NHL. 

Ive hinted around what I think is happening with this team. I think it is more roster than folks want to admit. TSC is stirring.

I would love for it to be mostly roster. But I can't get there. There are too many things that point to it being more than that. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.