OT-Travel and vacationing

JJFIVEOH

Not sure if there is a thread about traveling and vacationing. If not, I'd like to start one. As we all know, native Buffalonians move and/or travel a lot. I travel very much in the south. In fact, I am in Aiken right now getting hit with some Matthew storms that I didn't get back at home in Boca. I have many faves in the south and would love to share my experiences. I'm also looking to leave SoFL right now so listening to others' experiences out of town is nice too. Where have you all gone, where have you all settled at, and what do you have nice to say about where you live?

I live in Jacksonville, NC. It's a great town if you want a tattoo, need a haircut, or you enjoy chain restaurants. It's also very pro Trump. On the plus side it's close to the beach, the weather is great out side of it being too damn hot and muggy from May through September and it's the home of Camp Lejeune so there are some decent jobs sprinkled in amongst all the low paying ones, crime is relatively low, and with the bases here you may be able to spring a tank or a helicopter if the zombies invade.

Vancouver Island has some of the biggest trees and (so I've heard) finest weed in the world.

It only rains every day eight months of the year here.

The only Trump I've seen is at the Qualicum Beach (Canada's version of retiring to Florida) bridge club.

But Justin has been here twice in the past three months - once to do a shirtless photo bomb at a stranger's beach wedding, the other time to flirt with Kate Middleton.

And if you see someone with a Sabres t-shirt, say hi. It will either be me or Bunomatic.

Edited by dudacek

Sabrespacers don't fail me now. I'm leaving this week to drive down to Florida for one of our biannual trips and I need some advice. I had originally planned on scaling the east coast and hopping on I-95 in VA. Well hurricane Matthew has ruined that now I'm seeking alternate passage. I've travelled down the shittsburg highway I-77 before and that's plan B. My biggest issue is where to stop. I like to break my trip up into halves and I would normally stop at Charlotte, NC. Unfortunately, that's an hour or two too far. There are some smaller towns just north of there but I'm not familiar and I don't want to get stuck in some Deliverance scenario. Any thoughts peeps?

If your going to the panhandle take 90w, 271w, 71s through Columbus and cincy, 65s from Louisville to Montgomery. From Montgomery state route 231 will take you to the gulf. Stop in Nashville and food and drinks are on me, I'll cap it at $300.

Edited by Hank

Sabrespacers don't fail me now. I'm leaving this week to drive down to Florida for one of our biannual trips and I need some advice. I had originally planned on scaling the east coast and hopping on I-95 in VA. Well hurricane Matthew has ruined that now I'm seeking alternate passage. I've travelled down the shittsburg highway I-77 before and that's plan B. My biggest issue is where to stop. I like to break my trip up into halves and I would normally stop at Charlotte, NC. Unfortunately, that's an hour or two too far. There are some smaller towns just north of there but I'm not familiar and I don't want to get stuck in some Deliverance scenario. Any thoughts peeps?

If you're going I-90 to I-79 US19 etc. to Florida then Beckley, WV is a good stopping point in terms of a lot of reputable hotels etc, but it's about 3 hours north of Charlotte.  Anywhere else looks like no mans land to me and I can't say one way or the other if you'll be in a deliverance scenario.  Either way beware of Summersville, WV.... speed trap central.

I don't think Asheville NC makes sense, but it's a great town.

Hillsville VA is nondescript but definitely not deliverance. If you end up there, go to Aunt Bea's BBQ for breakfast. The sausage gravy and biscuits is worth the stop. Disclaimer: I've wandered into that town twice while riding around on the bike. I didn't explore it much but it's a big enough town that it looked normal.

Edited by MattPie

Asheville NC gets a high recommendation from me, as well. Beautiful area with some great breweries. Highland Brewing is A+ for anybody who finds themselves in the area.

Sycamore in Charlotte is a good one, as well.

I'd recommend Asheville as well, but it's probably off the beaten path for a WNY to Florida trip.

Must visit Asheville breweries:

Sierra Nevada

Wicked Weed

Highland 

Highly recommended:

Wicked Weed Funkatorium

Wedge

Burial

If you have time:

New Belgium

Green Man

Hi-Wire

I only made it to Highland and one that sounded kinda Canadian. Looked shack-like on the inside and a little rundown outside. An old small fire house maybe? Wasn't far from Highland.

Highland is easy to remember because I was drinking it in Charlotte and Wilmington, too. Good beer.

I only made it to Highland and one that sounded kinda Canadian. Looked shack-like on the inside and a little rundown outside. An old small fire house maybe? Wasn't far from Highland.

Highland is easy to remember because I was drinking it in Charlotte and Wilmington, too. Good beer.

French Broad maybe?

I haven't been to Highland since last year, but they opened a rooftop bar in the summer that supposedly offers spectacular views.

You might want to double check the reports on I-95, I don't know the conditions in the Carolinas, but I just got back from SC tonight and took 95 from Savannah. Zero problems. Some of the rest stops were a little torn up but 100% functional.

You might want to double check the reports on I-95, I don't know the conditions in the Carolinas, but I just got back from SC tonight and took 95 from Savannah. Zero problems. Some of the rest stops were a little torn up but 100% functional.

http://abc11.com/weather/road-closure-info-including-i-40-and-i-95/1545606/

95 is still a problem in NC. The flooding is very bad in the eastern part of of the state and last I heard 17 of the US Matthew caused deaths were in NC, the most of any state.  These were mostly due to people getting swept up in flood waters and evacuations are still ongoing.

http://abc11.com/weather/road-closure-info-including-i-40-and-i-95/1545606/

95 is still a problem in NC. The flooding is very bad in the eastern part of of the state and last I heard 17 of the US Matthew caused deaths were in NC, the most of any state. These were mostly due to people getting swept up in flood waters and evacuations are still ongoing.

I'll be hitting 95 around Savannah so I should be all set. Heading down 79 tomorrow.

I live in Jacksonville, NC. It's a great town if you want a tattoo, need a haircut, or you enjoy chain restaurants. It's also very pro Trump. On the plus side it's close to the beach, the weather is great out side of it being too damn hot and muggy from May through September and it's the home of Camp Lejeune so there are some decent jobs sprinkled in amongst all the low paying ones, crime is relatively low, and with the bases here you may be able to spring a tank or a helicopter if the zombies invade.

Very familiar with J-ville. Many vacations in Emerald Isle and Carolina Beach. NC beaches are my favorite. 

Very familiar with J-ville. Many vacations in Emerald Isle and Carolina Beach. NC beaches are my favorite. 

Cool. Hopefully for someone familiar with the area I did the description justice. When I was in my teens my buddies and I used to talk about how much we hated this town and how we couldn't wait to leave. I moved away to Wilmington for a few years but came back here for a job and have been here ever since. It's funny how a place can grow on you over time.

Edited by Drunkard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.