Robin Lehner: The goalie we need or the goalie we deserve?

LGR4GM

If only I could pull up that post I made years ago (probably around the last lockout) about how the NHL was going to a system where after a goal was scored the goaltender and scoring player had to have an MMA-style fight to decide if the goal counted.

(Context: something about "changing things up to bring in a new audience but close enough to before so the old timers wouldn't get upset")

:lol:

I'm more excited about him losing weight. He's listed at 240. That's a lot for a goalie, even at 6'-5". If he's down to 220 or something that would make a huge difference in his game.

According to Paul Hamilton, Lehner has been working with an MMA instructor every day this summer and has dropped weight. 

So he's down from 250 to 245?   Nice.     

Doesn't anybody just go to the gym and lift weights anymore?  Or ride the bike to drop weight?

According to Paul Hamilton, Lehner has been working with an MMA instructor every day this summer and has dropped weight. 

Because looking psychotic on the ice is not enough?  :)

Less weight would be good.  We'll see what happens.

So he's down from 250 to 245? Nice.

Doesn't anybody just go to the gym and lift weights anymore? Or ride the bike to drop weight?

Sure, if your concept of physical training is antiquated.

I think MMA training would be a excellent off-season training regimen for a goalie. For goalies who spend a lot of time on the ground, working on core strength and full body fitness seems like a great idea. I would expect Lehner will be able to move a lot better this year as a result.

Sure, if your concept of physical training is antiquated.

I think MMA training would be a excellent off-season training regimen for a goalie. For goalies who spend a lot of time on the ground, working on core strength and full body fitness seems like a great idea. I would expect Lehner will be able to move a lot better this year as a result.

I'm having a hard time imagining what MMA training would look like.     Stretching and kicking?   Chasing chickens around your yard?

You still need to maintain strength and I don't see how you achieve that without some form of resistance training.        

I'm having a hard time imagining what MMA training would look like.     Stretching and kicking?   Chasing chickens around your yard?

You still need to maintain strength and I don't see how you achieve that without some form of resistance training.        

I would assume weight training is involved...

I would assume weight training is involved...

he might separately weight train, and just do whatever he does with MMA. stuff like

Well, if his ankle becomes a problem and he can't play goalie at 100% he now has something to fall back on. I know I wouldn't wanna fight the dude inside a cage.

Interview  - http://media.wgr550.com/a/116662751/robin-lehner-speaks-with-paul-hamilton-from-harborcenter.htm

"i'm 100%"

"want to be here w/ my guys/team rather than worlds"

"lost weight, feel very fast"

training at http://www.wnymma.com/ (featuring video above) (probably has some cash invested if advertising for it?)

Saying all the right things.

I agree @dark, seems like a very good match in terms of skills/strength/fitness.

If this guy pans out to be better than average this is going to be a fun ride.

Interview  - http://media.wgr550.com/a/116662751/robin-lehner-speaks-with-paul-hamilton-from-harborcenter.htm

"i'm 100%"

"want to be here w/ my guys/team rather than worlds"

"lost weight, feel very fast"

training at http://www.wnymma.com/ (featuring video above) (probably has some cash invested if advertising for it?)

Saying all the right things.

I agree @dark, seems like a very good match in terms of skills/strength/fitness.

If this guy pans out to be better than average this is going to be a fun ride.

I had no idea we had a place like that local. Interesting...

MMA sounds like great off-season training for a goalie. Ought to help with hand-eye coordination and fast twitch muscles. I always felt martial arts helped me with those facets in regards to the other sports I played. And that's on top of the obvious cardio workout you're getting. I love that Lehner is doing this!

I already thought he showed pretty good movement - so if he got faster it should be fun to watch.  Obviously he's saying all the right things like life changes, being here with his guys, etc but what struck me as the most interesting is the headaches lasting Months and getting into bad habits. 

I remember back in the day when I was wrestling and playing baseball - that working out blood would rush to my head and if I had a headache it was the last thing I wanted to do.  I'm imagining that he could have been going through a tough time and not feeling like training. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.