Rnd 4 #99 - Sabres - Brett Murray - LW

Taro T

He's huge at 6'5 and one of the younger players in the draft.  He played below the CHL this year but is going to Penn State next year.

We might never hear a thing from him again but his upside is a Fasching or Vesey type college career where no one can believe how late he was drafted.  We'll know more in a year.

He's huge at 6'5 and one of the younger players in the draft. He played below the CHL this year but is going to Penn State next year.

We might never hear a thing from him again but his upside is a Fasching or Vesey type college career where no one can believe how late he was drafted. We'll know more in a year.

At this stage of the draft he's the perfect "sure, why not?" pick.

BRETT MURRAY

POSITION: Left Wing

SHOOTS: Left

TEAM: Carleton Place (CCHL)

BORN: July 20, 1998

VITALS: 6’-4” / 200 Lbs

STATS: 48 GP 14 G 32 A 46 PTS 16 PIM

Murray is a big, rangy winger who is still growing into his frame, but has some intriguing offensive upside. He is a big-bodied power forward who will throw his weight around. He might get a little off balance when bumped, but he will continue on as he is hardly ever knocked over. Murray is incredibly strong in possession and doesn’t let the opposition get at the puck no matter how hard they try. He sees the ice well and slides into open lanes with his stick presented to his man for a pass. He is driven and will drive the net for a chance to finish off a rebound. Murray uses his size to his advantage as he finishes his checks hard on the forecheck and protects the puck with sheer strength. He displays some impressive and high-end playmaking skill down low, cycling the puck and getting creative with it before dishing it to the slot. He makes very good use of his body, especially on the backcheck as he catches his man and rubs him off the puck. 

He goes hard on the forecheck, but reads and adapts well as to when he needs to ease off or kick it into gear and get on the puck carrier. Murray has some skating deficiencies that will need to be addressed as his stride is choppy and lacks in jump. His first few steps need a lot of work as does his balance; all traits of a kid trying to grow into an ever-expanding frame. He will have plenty of time to develop during his time at Penn State.

NHL POTENTIAL: Bottom-Six Two-Way Winger

This reeks of Battista.

I guess my question is the word reeks and not necessarily Battista. What do you expect from a 4th rounder and below?? Everything at this point is a crap shoot and not that kind of shoot the dice kind.....

I guess my question is the word reeks and not necessarily Battista. What do you expect from a 4th rounder and below?? Everything at this point is a crap shoot and not that kind of shoot the dice kind.....

He's kidding.

EDIT:  I think he's kidding.

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.