OT: Veterans Day

Neo

Indulge me, please ...

I want to thank the service men and women in SabreSpace who've sacrificed and served our country. I'm grateful with all my being.

Additionally, please thank your family on my behalf. When mom or dad serves, the entire family serves. I've seen the sacrifice, myself. My son serves in the United States Navy and is often "underway" while his wife and children forge on against life's daily challenges back home. I am so proud ...

Thank you, SabreSpace Veterans. If you're so inclined, it would be thrilling to me to know who are.

N'eo, thanks for your son's service. I'm sure you're proud. My dad is deceased but started in the Marines, and then was in the Naval Air Reserve for most of his life until he reached retirement age. Most of it as a CPO leading the crews that maintained P3 Orion sub hunters. One weekend a month and two weeks active duty every year was routine.

N'eo, thanks for your son's service. I'm sure you're proud. My dad is deceased but started in the Marines, and then was in the Naval Air Reserve for most of his life until he reached retirement age. Most of it as a CPO leading the crews that maintained P3 Orion sub hunters. One weekend a month and two weeks active duty every year was routine.

Thank you to your dad and your family. You've seen it all, too. Hoo Rah ....

its remembrance day here in Canada so the wife and myself will be doing our annual walk down to the service to stand with the veterans and honour the fallen. Every year the ranks of the old guard have shrunk and the vets we do see get younger due to the current affairs abroad. I'd just like to thank the servicemen and women in our country and of our allies that have made the ultimate sacrifice and continue to make sacrifices so that we may live in a free society. I feel very grateful and indebted to your service. God bless.  

As a veteran (having to work on veterans day) I would like to thank my fellow brothers and sisters, and their families for serving in any brach of this country. I wish all the best going forward, and that spirits remain high no matter the situation these days!

Likewise! I just recently separated from the Army (not off from school today either) so it's been a fun morning remembering all the good times while I was in and talking to old friends. Also, to touch on what you said, I know personally that both separating and being in the military can be a struggle and if there are any posters going through those issues I'm always will to lend an ear. 

its remembrance day here in Canada so the wife and myself will be doing our annual walk down to the service to stand with the veterans and honour the fallen. Every year the ranks of the old guard have shrunk and the vets we do see get younger due to the current affairs abroad. I'd just like to thank the servicemen and women in our country and of our allies that have made the ultimate sacrifice and continue to make sacrifices so that we may live in a free society. I feel very grateful and indebted to your service. God bless.  

You make ME remember ...

Politicians and citizens use judgment and make decisions.  They don't always prove right.  See the politics thread.

What has warmed my heart is Canada's unflinching stand with its ally, the US.  This is especially gratifying knowing Canadian citizens and politicians are exercising their judgment, as well.

Call me corny ... but any Don Cherry interaction with the military makes me tear up.  I can hear the "Wow, Neo isn't old school, he's a dinosaur" groans.  Warms my heart ...

To the Canadian military, their friends, and their families ... we remember, too.  I'm grateful.

I hate war.  I`m a lover, not a fighter.

That does not mean that I do not appreciate all who serve / served.

We walked to our local cenotaph and honoured the veterans and those who had fallen.  We also honour our brave police and firefighters.

I wear a poppy to honour my best friend who passed away a few years ago at 91.  He was 19 and just graduated from the Polish Military Academy ... the date was August 1, 1939.  He escaped the Nazis and ended up fighting the war as a plane mechanic in the RAF.

My uncle served in WWII in the US Army as a an MP.  He landed at Normandy on June 7th and helped direct all the men and machines into Germany.

My dad's Uncle (so, my Uncle) was drafted into the German Army (he was against the war and living in Austria, but the Nazis threatened his family with deportation to a labour camp).  He was sent to the Russian Front and is still officially listed as missing.  No one knows what happened to him.

I hate war.  

Thank you to all that are / have served.

I hate war.  I`m a lover, not a fighter.

That does not mean that I do not appreciate all who serve / served.

We walked to our local cenotaph and honoured the veterans and those who had fallen.  We also honour our brave police and firefighters.

I wear a poppy to honour my best friend who passed away a few years ago at 91.  He was 19 and just graduated from the Polish Military Academy ... the date was August 1, 1939.  He escaped the Nazis and ended up fighting the war as a plane mechanic in the RAF.

My uncle served in WWII in the US Army as a an MP.  He landed at Normandy on June 7th and helped direct all the men and machines into Germany.

My dad's Uncle (so, my Uncle) was drafted into the German Army (he was against the war and living in Austria, but the Nazis threatened his family with deportation to a labour camp).  He was sent to the Russian Front and is still officially listed as missing.  No one knows what happened to him.

I hate war.  

Thank you to all that are / have served.

Grateful for the incorporation of policemen and firefighters. Especially grateful for what could be our board's highest moral authority voice (IMHO) calling war hateful.

N'eo,

I appreciate your kind words, but please, I am no more a moral authority voice than anyone else ... on this board, or elsewhere.

Also, I forgot my own brother, whom I do not see eye to eye on most issues and haven't spoken with in years ... it's OK.

He is a veteran of the first Gulf War ... a US Army pilot ... helicopter.  He was in the reserves at the time and didn't see combat since he was the best pilot they had at the time, so he flew the big shots around.

Did I mention that I hate war.

The ceremony in our town square was sparsely attended today. Kind of sad. One of the speakers talked about a Vietnam vet friend of his who arrived back home to the airport in Los Angeles and was spat upon and called a baby-killer. I think our nation has finally gotten it right since then. Many people — and I can say from personal experience, many vets themselves — do not support the wars we've undertaken of late, but the vast majority support the men and women who have had to wage those wars and still do. Hate the war/love the warrior can be a delicate philosophical position, but a just one.

Putting a green bulb in your porch light (that Wal Mart initiative), wearing a poppy or shaking a vet's hand are wonderful gestures that I'm sure mean a lot to our veterans. But they also need more concrete help. If you ever want to get down in the trenches (sorry for the metaphor), one program I can recommend is the Disabled American Veterans Transportation Network. You volunteer your time to give veterans rides to their VA appointments. Sometimes it's a woman vet with Sexual Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and sometimes it's a World War II vet who needs a hearing aid, but it always feels good to get them there and back safely. http://www.dav.org/help-dav/volunteer/drive-a-van/

Thank you, SabreSpace veterans and all veterans and those who continue to serve.

N'eo,

I appreciate your kind words, but please, I am no more a moral authority voice than anyone else ... on this board, or elsewhere.

Also, I forgot my own brother, whom I do not see eye to eye on most issues and haven't spoken with in years ... it's OK.

He is a veteran of the first Gulf War ... a US Army pilot ... helicopter.  He was in the reserves at the time and didn't see combat since he was the best pilot they had at the time, so he flew the big shots around.

Did I mention that I hate war.

I indulged myself when even a moment's thought would have caused me to conclude you'd be uncomfortable with that label. I apologize. Better had I said "gratefule that a poster as gracious and understanding as NS points out that war is hateful even as we recognize veterans". Interesting to me that moral authority is best when recognized, and worst when claimed.

Allow me to thrill you.  I was in the Coast Guard for a few days less than 26 years.  It was my honor to serve America and I loved every minute of it.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, and I thank you for your son's service.  You must have raised him to do the right thing.  Thank you.

Indulge me, please ...

I want to thank the service men and women in SabreSpace who've sacrificed and served our country. I'm grateful with all my being.

Additionally, please thank your family on my behalf. When mom or dad serves, the entire family serves. I've seen the sacrifice, myself. My son serves in the United States Navy and is often "underway" while his wife and children forge on against life's daily challenges back home. I am so proud ...

Thank you, SabreSpace Veterans. If you're so inclined, it would be thrilling to me to know who are.

Edited by BuffalOhio

Indulge me, please ...

N'eo, Thank you, and your Family for your sacrifice. I retired this past Feb from the Army after 20 years.  Tour in Iraq in 03, and Afghanistan in 06,  moved back home to Buffalo this past April.

Thank you. You deserve a Beef and Barrel dinner sometime. <--- even more awkward

Kinky:)

This is my second Veteran's Day as an Active Duty member. It still feels a little awkward to be thanked for my service. Hope everyone had a great day. Also, thank you to my grandfather Charles for his service in the Navy.

Thank you for Serving, take pride in it. It is very awkward to be thanked for serving.  We all do it for our own reasons, doesn't make us better than those who don't, Just makes us unique.

The ceremony in our town square was sparsely attended today. Kind of sad. One of the speakers talked about a Vietnam vet friend of his who arrived back home to the airport in Los Angeles and was spat upon and called a baby-killer. I think our nation has finally gotten it right since then. Many people — and I can say from personal experience, many vets themselves — do not support the wars we've undertaken of late, but the vast majority support the men and women who have had to wage those wars and still do. Hate the war/love the warrior can be a delicate philosophical position, but a just one.

Putting a green bulb in your porch light (that Wal Mart initiative), wearing a poppy or shaking a vet's hand are wonderful gestures that I'm sure mean a lot to our veterans. But they also need more concrete help. If you ever want to get down in the trenches (sorry for the metaphor), one program I can recommend is the Disabled American Veterans Transportation Network. You volunteer your time to give veterans rides to their VA appointments. Sometimes it's a woman vet with Sexual Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and sometimes it's a World War II vet who needs a hearing aid, but it always feels good to get them there and back safely. http://www.dav.org/help-dav/volunteer/drive-a-van/

Thank you, SabreSpace veterans and all veterans and those who continue to serve.

Our Vietnam era Vets were not treated well at all. They deserved, and still do deserve better.

Grateful for the incorporation of policemen and firefighters. Especially grateful for what could be our board's highest moral authority voice (IMHO) calling war hateful.

We often forget our first responders on this day. They deserve a big shout as well. They all truly put their lives on the line on a daily basis, all for protecting the greater good.

Edited by DirtDart

My father served 20 years in the Navy, I served 5....he is still somewhat bitter when they do those public tribute to servicemen like at the arena and etc.... You can tell he appreciates them, but after Vietnam and getting $hit on, I understand completely where his head is at.

I as an enlisted member spent much time in Iraq (green airman stripes) so not on the ship as much, and it was awful, but you learn to take orders and survive, not question how stupid it is that we are actually there, now that I've moved past that part of my life and the fallout after, I can reflect on it all and say, F that war and F bush... And I feel bad for all those that are fighting for a non worthy cause.

I miss when this country stood for something

I indulged myself when even a moment's thought would have caused me to conclude you'd be uncomfortable with that label. I apologize. Better had I said "gratefule that a poster as gracious and understanding as NS points out that war is hateful even as we recognize veterans". Interesting to me that moral authority is best when recognized, and worst when claimed.

It's all good, my friend.

Cheers.

:beer:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.