NHL Gamecenter live

NNYSABRESMAN

So, I found a fix for the Kodi issue. I guess there's a problem with some cache file, if you can find the file, you can just delete it and everything should work. I guess you have to do this every time though.

Someone forked the add-on repository on github and fixed the issue: https://github.com/TheCookieMonster70/plugin.video.nhl-gamecenter/tree/TheCookieMonster70

You can click the "Download Zip"

Then in Kodi

Go to System->Add-Ons

Click the ... at the top

Click Install from Zip

Navigate to wherever you downloaded the zip file to and then click on it.

After that you should see the live game feeds listed.

Edited by skaught

I noticed they now force you to watch commercials on NHLGC. Way to go NHL, fail to improve your product yet find a way to make it worse. 

I haven't seen a single commercial (we're talking about the broadcast feed commercials, right?) this year on GCL (via PS3 or Android). I miss them, I like seeing the Buffalo commercials more than the NHL logo "we be right back" screen.

Well #2 is personal preference, but #1 and #3 are false in my experience.  The quality is excellent and my Roku is still humming along with no problems and I use it daily. I'd notice malware and viruses if they existed on it. I'd rather be able to watch hockey without the problems that people always seem to have with NHLGC, but again that's my personal preference.

#2: not really preference, it is illegal. The odds of direct repurcussions to you are pretty slim, other than if someone brings the hammer down on them you'll be out however much you paid. But I'm not here to judge, everyone makes their own choices. It's pretty unlikely malware would be written for the Roku though.

Edited by MattPie

I haven't seen a single commercial (we're talking about the broadcast feed commercials, right?) this year on GCL (via PS3 or Android). I miss them, I like seeing the Buffalo commercials more than the NHL logo "we be right back" screen.

Yeah, that's what was weird. I'm also used to that 'we'll be right back' screen. But last night's game NHLGC aired their own commercials. I couldn't fast forward through them, I couldn't physically move the slider because both the slider and the DVR functions were disabled for the duration of the commercials. Maybe it had something to do with the fact I was using a VPN, maybe it was because it was a national broadcast. That's the first time I had seen that, it hasn't happened on Roku.

I'm with you, I enjoyed the BFLO commercials. It's at least better than dead air for two minutes.

So, I found a fix for the Kodi issue. I guess there's a problem with some cache file, if you can find the file, you can just delete it and everything should work. I guess you have to do this every time though.

Someone forked the add-on repository on github and fixed the issue: https://github.com/TheCookieMonster70/plugin.video.nhl-gamecenter/tree/TheCookieMonster70

You can click the "Download Zip"

Then in Kodi

Go to System->Add-Ons

Click the ... at the top

Click Install from Zip

Navigate to wherever you downloaded the zip file to and then click on it.

After that you should see the live game feeds listed.

Thank you, I'll give that a shot next time I need to watch the game on my laptop. :thumbsup:

#2: not really preference, it is illegal. The odds of direct repurcussions to you are pretty slim, other than if someone brings the hammer down on them you'll be out however much you paid. But I'm not here to judge, everyone makes their own choices. It's pretty unlikely malware would be written for the Roku though.

Yes, it's "illegal". Only because that's the laws that have been lobbied and paid for by the cable companies and sports leagues to reduce competition and preserve their monopolies.

The personal preference is to opt out of that system, and I have never regretted that choice.

Yes, it's "illegal". Only because that's the laws that have been lobbied and paid for by the cable companies and sports leagues to reduce competition and preserve their monopolies protect their intellectual property and make money selling the product that they have created.

The personal preference is to opt out of that system, and I have never regretted that choice.

fixed.

fixed.

They still make money with competition.  There are several examples of monopolies being broken up and the companies are still fine, such as AT&T and Microsoft.

Competition creates better prices and service.  Why are the cable companies and sports leagues scared of it?

They still make money with competition.  There are several examples of monopolies being broken up and the companies are still fine, such as AT&T and Microsoft.

Competition creates better prices and service.  Why are the cable companies and sports leagues scared of it?

IMO, Anyone who complains about the price of GCL and the service it provides, is delusional about the costs of being entertained the these United States.

IMO, Anyone who complains about the price of GCL and the service it provides, is delusional about the costs of being entertained the these United States.

I'm talking about the bigger picture of competition to create better products, pricing, and service in relation to all cable companies and sports leagues.  GCL is better than most price-wise, but even they had to be forced to move more in that direction recently.  And the price of entertainment in the US is usually outrageous and getting worse, so I always try to choose my entertainment wisely as a consumer.

Nobody's trying to convince you to switch. If you like hockeystreams, good for you. Hope you keep enjoying it.

I had no impression that anyone was trying to make me switch. If anything I was wondering why more don't opt out of the "system". Cable companies get lower favorability than politicians for a reason.

But that's it for me. I should have left it at "personal preference" as I did originally.

I had no impression that anyone was trying to make me switch. If anything I was wondering why more don't opt out of the "system". Cable companies get lower favorability than politicians for a reason.

But that's it for me. I should have left it at "personal preference" as I did originally.

I have chosen to opt out of cable, since I pretty much agree with you about the cost. The difference is by opting out of cable, I've stopped consuming the product they were offering. In terms of GameCenter vs. Hockeystreams, it's like buying bootleg DVDs; you still want the product but aren't prepared to purchase it through legal means. I'm not judging anyone who does, but I can't get around my feeling that it's "wrong" to me. It'd be nice if GCL didn't have to deal with blackouts but being a legitimate entity it has to play by the rules.

Well, this snuck up on me. I usually plan to watch the Flyers games with a couple local friends (or even go to a game or two) but I'm not sure I can swing it tonight. I think I need to get the proxy stuff set up pretty quick so I can queue up GCL without the local blackout.

IP proxies are wrong to me, as well as illegal, so I don't feel like I should be lectured by you on what hockey subscription I use.

I have chosen to opt out of cable, since I pretty much agree with you about the cost. The difference is by opting out of cable, I've stopped consuming the product they were offering. In terms of GameCenter vs. Hockeystreams, it's like buying bootleg DVDs; you still want the product but aren't prepared to purchase it through legal means. I'm not judging anyone who does, but I can't get around my feeling that it's "wrong" to me. It'd be nice if GCL didn't have to deal with blackouts but being a legitimate entity it has to play by the rules.

My opposition to the NHL and the Blue Jackets is personal.  What the City of Columbus, the Blue Jackets, the NHL, and the corporate powers (Nationwide especially) has done to the local taxpayers is criminal.  I don't have the time to get into in now, but everyone makes money off a failing franchise except for the taxpayers who bear the burden of ensuring a profit for others.  

I don't buy anything from the NHL or the Blue Jackets.  I buy tickets secondhand if I go to a game, so at least I'm not directly supporting them.  The tickets have already been sold afterall.

Website if anyone wants to read about an especially outrageous fleecing of taxpayers by a league/team/city: http://www.fieldofschemes.com/category/nhl/columbus-blue-jackets/

IP proxies are wrong to me, as well as illegal, so I don't feel like I should be lectured by you on what hockey subscription I use.

My opposition to the NHL and the Blue Jackets is personal.  What the City of Columbus, the Blue Jackets, the NHL, and the corporate powers (Nationwide especially) has done to the local taxpayers is criminal.  I don't have the time to get into in now, but everyone makes money off a failing franchise except for the taxpayers who bear the burden of ensuring a profit for others.  

I don't buy anything from the NHL or the Blue Jackets.  I buy tickets secondhand if I go to a game, so at least I'm not directly supporting them.  The tickets have already been sold afterall.

Website if anyone wants to read about an especially outrageous fleecing of taxpayers by a league/team/city: http://www.fieldofschemes.com/category/nhl/columbus-blue-jackets/

You're 100% right, using a Proxy service is illegal. I think it's a greyer area than paying another entity money to stream, but neither of us has a leg to stand on. FWIW, I haven't actually decided whether I'm going to proxy because I do have qualms about it.

You seem like a very high strung individual.

You seem like a very high strung individual.

Thanks, but I prefer "informed". Maybe I'm naive, but I'm not going to support things that are ripping me off.

I'm actually very laid back, but I have principles I try to live by that I believe in strongly.

PS4 quality is lackluster. Fairly disappointed. The NHL app literally disappeared off my bluray player when I tried to launch it. Now instead of saving money over center ice - I have to spend some cash on some hardware unless I want hook up my laptop all the time.

PS4 quality is lackluster. Fairly disappointed. The NHL app literally disappeared off my bluray player when I tried to launch it. Now instead of saving money over center ice - I have to spend some cash on some hardware unless I want hook up my laptop all the time.

I highly recommend an AppleTV. Quality is better than PS4 and laptop-to-TV. Not that expensive, either, plus I can stream music to my stereo without cables.

• 1 month later...

It depends where you are. Obviously you must be in the BFLO area, I don't know where the boundaries are. In BFLO you're most likely blacked out.

So as a Sabres fan in Rochester there's no point in getting gamecenter unless I want to watch all other teams but buffalo? What sre some alternative options?

So as a Sabres fan in Rochester there's no point in getting gamecenter unless I want to watch all other teams but buffalo? What sre some alternative options?

I'm not sure about the Rochester question, but I'm sure someone can chime in as to whether the games are blacked out there. Rule of thumb is if the game is on cable in your area, it will be blacked out on GCL. It looks like GCL has cracked down a bit on tunnels and proxies, Tunnelbear didn't work when I tried it earlier this season.

Alternatives:

• hockeystreams.eu (I think) is a not-really-legal site that streams the games for money. There have been ethical discussions here (I think in this thread), but it's an option.
  • People will often find free streams, but the quality varies and some people have reported getting viruses from them. And ethical issues.
  • The games are streamed on the radio, either via the WGR app, TuneIn radio app, or web sites. If you're in Rochester, there's sure to be a local station that has the game too.
  • If you know someone with cable, you *may* be able to use their account to stream the game online. I've done that once or twice last year and it's OK.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.