Patrick Kane: [Updated] D.A. Decides Not to Prosecute; NHL Determines Claims "Unfounded"

That Aud Smell

I'm not really responding to that line of discussion so I'm not sure why you're asking me to. I'm addressing PA's hypothetical.

Fair enough. However, I am curious about your opinion and am asking you directly. Will you answer?

It's worth pointing out that a single example does absolutely nothing to point towards a double standard. There are examples of males not serving jail time for statutory rape. It's a pretty irrelevant discussion point.

I personally am not trying to make any point, but I am just as curious of your opinion also. Care to share?

Yes I did. If statutory rape occurs it should be punished as the law prescribes. Again, I'm not here to discuss statutory rape, so I'm not sure why you're questioning me on it

You still didn't answer my question. Maybe if you were more direct? Let me try again, do you believe that a 48 yo woman should go to jail for having sex with a 15 yo boy? a short yes or no response is perfectly acceptable.

You still didn't answer my question. Maybe if you were more direct? Let me try again, do you believe that a 48 yo woman should go to jail for having sex with a 15 yo boy? a short yes or no response is perfectly acceptable.

I've answered your question as I have seen fit. I'm not interested in participating in a discussion about statutory rape, so please stop trying to drag me into one. 

I've answered your question as I have seen fit. I'm not interested in participating in a discussion about statutory rape, so please stop trying to drag me into one.

I find it very curious that you refuse to give your viewpoint when you seem so very full of viewpoints.

Hoss, no opinion from you either? Really??

Edited by Hank

I find it very curious that you refuse to give your viewpoint when you seem so very full of viewpoints.

Hoss, no opinion from you either? Really??

Maybe you could f*ck off? I'm trying to ask PA a question about the line of discussion he started in the second half of that post. I don't have the time to deal with a simultaneous discussion on statutory rape just because you want me to. You don't get to decide what discussions I'm participating in. 

Maybe you could f*ck off? I'm trying to ask PA a question about the line of discussion he started in the second half of that post. I don't have the time to deal with a simultaneous discussion on statutory rape just because you want me to. You don't get to decide what discussions I'm participating in.

You don't have the time? You spent way more time not answering a simple question than if you answered? Perhaps your non-answer is the answer?

I will answer it for you. A 48 year old adult should go to jail for having sex with a 15 year old. Doesn't matter the combination of participants.

I doubt anyone in this discussion feels differently. If you do then you have a problem.

You would think so, but apparently not...

Yes I did. If statutory rape occurs it should be punished as the law prescribes. Again, I'm not here to discuss statutory rape, so I'm not sure why you're questioning me on it

You're both being obtuse at this point, but he definitely answered your question with the sentence I highlighted above.

I will answer it for you. A 48 year old adult should go to jail for having sex with a 15 year old. Doesn't matter the combination of participants.

I doubt anyone in this discussion feels differently. If you do then you have a problem.

I've stayed out of this thread since your earlier post because I feel incredibly bad about what happened to you.  That's just horrifying.

Yes, prison, and yes, the same sentence that a man would get.

You're both being obtuse at this point, but he definitely answered your question with the sentence I highlighted above.

Perhaps we are being obtuse. His answer does not satisfy me. An "I agree" would satisfy me. It seems like a much simpler answer if he in fact agrees, which I question.

Wait a second. Did I seriously just read in here that day after regret is a product of us shaming women about having sex? Do they really have absolutely zero say in the matter because that's what these conversations wind up making it look like. Sometimes we go to such lengths to protect them that we absolve them completely of any responsibility whatsoever.

Not sure that was exactly what was being said. I think that societal pressure can contribute to a feeling of regret.

Yes. No.

Why aren't we talking about situations where a woman doesn't get affirmative consent from a man before they have sex? If no affirmative consent, wasn't the man raped? The woman aggressively gets on top, he's erect but, hey, that's not a green light, ladies, and he has no power given societal attitudes to say no. He doesn't want it but doesn't fight it.

I haven't made it to that concept yet, but for the ideas we were speaking of last night.  I don't think there is a clear way to tackle the concept of a girl not wanting to but never formally voicing that.  I think it is a very difficult to place that on a girl but unless someone can think of a better way though, a girl needs to say no if that is how she feels.  A guy can't be a mind reader, sure there could be body language tells but that isn't good enough.  This places more responsibility on the woman but I think that they need to voice their feelings if they don't want it to escalate.  Maybe a guy needs to also be more vocal when it gets to that point. 

For instance, maybe ask something like "would you like me to get a condom?" or something else that clearly indicates you are moving towards sex.  Very difficult question and one I am glad you asked.

It's worth pointing out that a single example does absolutely nothing to point towards a double standard. There are examples of males not serving jail time for statutory rape. It's a pretty irrelevant discussion point.

Until you consider the second question in my post. Then it's not so irrelevant. 

Yes. No.

Why aren't we talking about situations where a woman doesn't get affirmative consent from a man before they have sex? If no affirmative consent, wasn't the man raped? The woman aggressively gets on top, he's erect but, hey, that's not a green light, ladies, and he has no power given societal attitudes to say no. He doesn't want it but doesn't fight it.

I think a double standard should exist. Men and women are different, they are not equal. Yes he was underaged, she was wrong in that case. But based on a couple of different sources I read about this story it appears his mother found out he was bragging about it which would indicate he wasn't opposed to the idea. It also appears the mother is the one pushing the matter because her baby got taken advantage of. If she forcibly raped him then she should get significant jail time. But I'm getting the impression this isn't what happened. Let the kid testify. 

Perhaps we are being obtuse. His answer does not satisfy me. An "I agree" would satisfy me. It seems like a much simpler answer if he in fact agrees, which I question.

There is no point in badgering anyone to answer a question.  Noone is obligated to.  If there isn't a greater point you are trying to get to, move on.

I'm not sure why you jumped on me for not responding since I just wasn't on the site for a few hours.

I feel as though the same circumstances should be treated the same as far as legal punishment goes regardless of the genders involved. I do not know this case well enough to say whether the woman should be in jail, but if a male faced jail time for a similar offense then she should as well.

That's it. That's all I care to say on the subject.

48 year old adult and a 15 year old kid, gender shouldn't matter, it's statutory rape. Her gender doesn't make her any less of a predator, she should be in jail. If a 48 yo man didn't overpower a 15 yo girl and she wanted to have sex with him you'd be okay with that? Don't we have pages on here crucifying Kane when we thought his alleged victim may have been 16? Why the double standard for the woman? She's attractive so it's okay? But if she was ugly and weighed 260 it would be different?

Attractiveness plays a role when the situations are reversed. Going back to the 'regret' situations from earlier, more women will regret what they did that night when they wake up to an ugly fat dude instead of one of the college hotties. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.