Joe Battista, Sabres VP of Hockey Related Business, has resigned

z-man

In fairness: A little bird sent me a clip of the Sabres 2014 trade deadline war room.

https://youtu.be/oOWqjz_B-OA

Battista is there (start at 3:45, be shows at 4:15), and he even has something to say about the Halak deal. Granted, he's merely relating what someone with Washington said, and GM TM seems to be doing no more than humoring one of the owner's cronies. Also bear in mind, there was a digital video editor involved here who surely wanted to curry favor with JoeBa and even the Pegulas -- this may've been the only thing JoeBa said that day (who knows).

In any case, we here have an exame of JoeBa sticking his nose in matters hockey. That he presumably had no influence on any decisions or moves being made does not preclude the theory that he has an under-qualified galoot whose nosey Parker presence was negatively affecting the FO's culture.

And while that's probably not a chargeable meddling offence, it isn't nothing either.

Fare there well, JoeBa. The Sabres are almost surely better off without you.

Very good, Smell. The claim that Battista ran only on the business side is a lie. As usual, people here don't want to believe their eyes and ears. Remember when Battista offered a quote to the effect that a particular prospect (can't think of who) would have a great shot of making the team? If the organization is in culling mode, I think GMTM took full advantage of the opportunity to get rid of the guy. If so, it makes me feel good about the power Murray has to speak truth to power and win out.

Or... it was just the killer commute.

The time spent in Buffalo, and the four-hour drive each way through rural northwest Pennsylvania and western New York, was wearing on the energetic and outgoing Battista, whose family stayed in State College.

He had been with the NHL team, and owners Terry and Kim Pegula, since late 2013.

“Been working on this (decision) with Terry and Kim since May,” Battista said in the text message. “I gave it a shot but being away from my family was taking its toll, as was driving up and down (U.S. Route) 219!”

http://www.centredaily.com/2015/08/03/4861081_former-penn-state-hockey-coach.html?rh=1

Very good, Smell. The claim that Battista ran only on the business side is a lie. As usual, people here don't want to believe their eyes and ears. Remember when Battista offered a quote to the effect that a particular prospect (can't think of who) would have a great shot of making the team? If the organization is in culling mode, I think GMTM took full advantage of the opportunity to get rid of the guy. If so, it makes me feel good about the power Murray has to speak truth to power and win out.

Or... it was just the killer commute.

http://www.centredaily.com/2015/08/03/4861081_former-penn-state-hockey-coach.html?rh=1

I'll acknowledge it. The fact that Brandon, the head business honcho, apparently caused Battista's separation does not, ipso facto, establish that Battista was a (bumbling) business guy. Bazinga, withdrawn.

I remember Battista gushing about a prospect - an NCAA guy, no doubt. Fasching? I also recall this Tweet

"Future look of Sabres defense last night w/Ristolainen & Ruhwedel. Add Zadorov,Pysyk,McCabe w/vets & the competition makes them all better."

We kicked that around in the original JoeBa thread.

My view of the matter hasn't changed: He was unnecessary, he was surplus, he was adding nothing, and maybe he was gumming up the works and pissing people off a bit (just by, like, being there and adding his two cents where it wasn't needed (or heeded)).

Is that all the conspiracy theorists were envisioning? I feel like there was more to it - quite a bit, actually.

And I also concur with the idea that this is a good sign relative to GM TM. Fair inference that GM TM spoke with Brandon and essentially encouraged him to send JoeBa packing. 

Good find on the 219 reference.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Given the criticism of Pegula for the hiring in the first place, does he get any recognition for parting ways with him?

I recognize the gentleman from Carbondale.

I actually do think lessons have been learned and good people are in place on the hockey and business side. It galls me that so many mistakes had to be made. If Terry had cleaned house at first, set the mission, hired good people, written the checks and gotten out of the way, we wouldn't have gone through the hell we just went through. But being Terry's toy was the real reason for existence of the franchise. I hope he got it out of his system.

“Been working on this (decision) with Terry and Kim since May,” Battista said in the text message. “I gave it a shot but being away from my family was taking its toll, as was driving up and down (U.S. Route) 219!”

This, to me, suggests that he wasn't fired, at least not with the paid-for confidentiality agreement  that we are used to seeing from the Pegulas.

This, to me, suggests that he wasn't fired, at least not with the paid-for confidentiality agreement  that we are used to seeing from the Pegulas.

Good eye.

Go away for a few days, the Gionta thread adds five posts, the Battista thread 89.

Don't ever change Sabrespace.

What's weirder: That, or the fact that I consciously noted your absence?

You are the reason I keep coming back.

:lol:

Edited by WildCard

Given the criticism of Pegula for the hiring in the first place, does he get any recognition for parting ways with him?

Are you asking or demanding, honey?

It's the sort of credit that I would give a blind squirrel for finding the nut that we mercifully placed in its paws.

You do deserve ctedit, little squirrel! Good for you! Good job last season! Sorry about the rumours about Eichels drinking, on Basil's boat, little buddy. Too bad he's underage. Glad he ducked under the bow when the cops came. Close call!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.