Rank'em: Future Team Success

WildCard

As others have pointed out, the landscape of the NHL is drastically changing, we need only look no further than our own division as proof of it. So, with the Tank over, Boston plummeting, and some perennial contenders in limbo, I thought it'd be a great time to rank the future promise of each organization.

Now, we can go about this a few ways:

1) Everyone submits a list; either of each division or the entire NHL at once.

2) We can have a poll, of each division, and then do round robin.

3) Or someone comes up with a more fun manner of doing it.

Either way I think this could turn into a very fun thread, one we can check on annually to see how we did.

this could work

I'm really into this idea honestly. We have season predictions every year, why not franchise ones? Plus, maybe this let's us see what makes the great organizations what they are, and the poor ones as well. 

• 1 month later...

Well this never caught fire like I hoped it would, but here is thehockeywriters' "Core Rankings". Go ahead and guess where you think the Sabres are on this list before you look, I'm interesting to see if anyone gets it.

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-team-cores-1-30/

Looks like their listing was weighed heavily by established NHL talent not promise.  

I really do like this idea. I am going to list my top 5 teams for the upcoming 2020-21 season.

5) Colorado Avalanche 

4) Florida Panthers

3) Dallas Stars 

2) Buffalo Sabres

1) Calgary Flames  

Looks like their listing was weighed heavily by established NHL talent not promise.  

Yup.  And it makes perfect sense to rank them that way.  Promise is elusive.  If I were ranking teams using promise weighted lower than established ability I'd rank Buffalo at least that low.  Maybe lower.

I really do like this idea. I am going to list my top 5 teams for the upcoming 2020-21 season.

Yup.  And it makes perfect sense to rank them that way.  Promise is elusive.  If I were ranking teams using promise weighted lower than established ability I'd rank Buffalo at least that low.  Maybe lower.

So do we want to gauge the 2020-2021 season and base rankings on the organization that be in position to have the most success in 5 years? Or the one that will enjoy the most success over the course of the next 5 seasons? I think the only plausible one would be the latter as the former may be too elusive as Weave notes. Though the original idea was the former, and looking at Deluca's rankings I believe he went that course. 

Edited by WildCard

So do we want to gauge the 2020-2021 season and base rankings on the organization that will have the most success in 5 years? Or the one that will enjoy the most success over the course of the next 5 seasons? I think the only plausible one would be the latter as the former may be too elusive as Weave notes. 

If you go by success over the next five years, than a team like the Blackhawks will top most lists. IMO, they have 2 or 3 more Cups in them.

5) Pittsburgh 

4) LA Kings

3) Dallas Stars

2) Tampa Bay

1) Chicago 

It might be a good idea to do both type of lists. 

Agreed, Deluca; I think I'll just do both as well.  

So for the next 5 years, the top 5 teams with the most succes:

1) Chicago    2)Tampa Bay    3) Pittsburgh     4) Washington      5) LA

I'd have Anaheim on there, but they can't seem to get over the hump and until they do I just won't buy in. I really, really wanted to put Columbus in this list, but 3/5 above have won a Cup, and only Washington hasn't been to one (been damn close though)

For the top 5 organizations in position to have the most success in 5 years:

1) Calgary     2) Buffalo     3) Edmonton      4) Colorado      5)  Dallas

Calgary has the centers and defense to top this list. Buffalo is ahead of Edmonton because of defensive prospects, and RNH and Hall failing to show anything great yet. Edmonton is only in the list because of McDavid and Chiarelli, McDavid hopefully doing something to pull RNH and Hall into perennial All-Stars (and Yakupov into useful). Colorado, despite losing O'Reilly, has MacKinnon, Duchene, Landeskog, and now Zadorov and Grigorenko (long shots but have a ton of talent). And Dallas rounds out the top 5 because of Jim Nill and Seguin being only 23. 

Edited by WildCard

Well this never caught fire like I hoped it would, but here is thehockeywriters' "Core Rankings". Go ahead and guess where you think the Sabres are on this list before you look, I'm interesting to see if anyone gets it.

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-team-cores-1-30/

The odd thing about that article, is that although it seems the writer based it more on established talent (which as DeLuca states, would make sense in light of the rankings), it says in the write up before he starts ranking the teams that:

"We will analyse where teams stand in regards to what they’re building and how each teams future looks. Keep in mind I don`t have a crystal ball, but I do value prospects highly."

It seems like that statement contradicts the rankings. There is no way that if you are valuing prospects highly that I can see the Sabres coming in at 19. Even the write up on the Sabres in the article is quite positive.

The odd thing about that article, is that although it seems the writer based it more on established talent (which as DeLuca states, would make sense in light of the rankings), it says in the write up before he starts ranking the teams that:

It seems like that statement contradicts the rankings. There is no way that if you are valuing prospects highly that I can see the Sabres coming in at 19. Even the write up on the Sabres in the article is quite positive.

Good catch, I didn't notice that. Given that statement, I find it hard to believe Edmonton and Buffalo aren't ranked much higher; especially given whee Calgary is ranked. 

• 9 months later...

Don't know about the entire NHL but I don't think it's going to be long before Buffalo, Toronto and the 2 Florida teams will be the top 4 in the division and fighting for the top 3 divisional spots for a long stretch.  I think Boston and Montreal days as near perennial top dogs are coming to an end and I think Ottawa continues to wade in mediocrity.  With Datsyuk leaving I also think it's an end of an era for Detroit.  They won't be competing with the top 4 dogs for a number of years.

Edited by Derrico

Next 3 years:

West East

Chicago Tampa Bay

Dallas Florida

St Louis Washington

Nashville Pittsburgh

San Jose NY Islanders

In 3 years:

Dallas Buffalo

San Jose Florida

Winnipeg Tampa Bay

Nashville Philadelphia

Arizona Toronto

I broke it down to 3 years because IMO the up and comers will be advancing in the playoffs by then.

Edited by Murray's Rats

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.