Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

I think it's more appropriate to call him a "bottom-six forward." And one you feel confident in having some spot duty in the top six when players are injured/need rest. They should get good value for him on Monday.

I pretty much never find myself agreeing with a word any of The Fourth Period guys say.

Like the quote said he is a fourth liner having a good year.

Actually, he is having the kind of year that he has been having for his career, He is a career 15-20 goal scorer. I'm not advocating keeping him because as I have said before, the new NHL is a top 4 core kind of league and you don't give term and money to any other forwards but to say he is a fourth line center shows a lack of knowing what the NHL has become with respect to scoring and a lack of knowing what McGinn has done throughout his career

2011/2012 - 20 goals

2012/2013 -11 goals in a 48 game strike shortened season

2013/2014 - 19 goals

2014/2015 - 4 goals in 19 games before injury

I think it's more appropriate to call him a "bottom-six forward." And one you feel confident in having some spot duty in the top six when players are injured/need rest. They should get good value for him on Monday.

I pretty much never find myself agreeing with a word any of The Fourth Period guys say.

I much prefer middle six as a description for McGinn.

It's where he fits statistically (ncluding ice time) and stylistically and where he has played most of his career.

There is no such thing as an NHL team with a 15-goal scorer playing regularly on the fourth line.

I doubt it's happened over the course of a full season in 20 years.

Anyone calling McGinn a fourth -liner has a hate on for the guy, or has never really looked at who is playing on 4th lines around the NHL, including the top teams.

He's an average player. Average players aren't on the fourth line.

Edited by dudacek

I much prefer middle six as a description for McGinn.

It's where he fits statistically (ncluding ice time) and stylistically and where he has played most of his career.

There is no such thing as an NHL team with a 15-goal scorer playing regularly on the fourth line.

I doubt it's happened over the course of a full season in 20 years.

Anyone calling McGinn a fourth -liner has a hate on for the guy, or has never really looked at who is playing on 4th lines around the NHL, including the top teams.

He's an average player. Average players aren't on the fourth line.

2007, the Sabres had four centers with >15 and four RWs with >13.  (But I agree w/ your point.)

Edited by Eleven

Hey man put him in your top nine and see if you ever make the playoffs. Also never said he should be a center. I will say I don't like where the league is going. It seems like as a league we are sacrificing skill and speed for big guys who can cycle the puck on the boards. IMO most of the nhls scoring problems stem from this style of play, but that's just what I think.

Actually, he is having the kind of year that he has been having for his career, He is a career 15-20 goal scorer. I'm not advocating keeping him because as I have said before, the new NHL is a top 4 core kind of league and you don't give term and money to any other forwards but to say he is a fourth line center shows a lack of knowing what the NHL has become with respect to scoring and a lack of knowing what McGinn has done throughout his career

2011/2012 - 20 goals

2012/2013 -11 goals in a 48 game strike shortened season

2013/2014 - 19 goals

2014/2015 - 4 goals in 19 games before injury

Hey man put him in your top nine and see if you ever make the playoffs. Also never said he should be a center. I will say I don't like where the league is going. It seems like as a league we are sacrificing skill and speed for big guys who can cycle the puck on the boards. IMO most of the nhls scoring problems stem from this style of play, but that's just what I think.

I mean, it happened just two years ago, didn't it? 

Good call. I just plopped it right in there without thinking. Not the first time this got me in trouble.

You go be sorry on the bench.

I don't remember Hecht ever being a regular on the 4th line.

Wasnt the fourth line Mair, Goose and Peters?

Point taken though. Kotalik was probably at a similar level as McGinn.

And if that roster was healthy he was probably the number 4 RW

Damn, that was deep hockey team.

I don't remember Hecht ever being a regular on the 4th line.

Wasnt the fourth line Mair, Goose and Peters?

Point taken though. Kotalik was probably at a similar level as McGinn.

And if that roster was healthy he was probably the number 4 RW

Damn, that was deep hockey team.

Yeah, completely an exception and not the rule.  As I said, your point stands.  I just wanted a nice trip down memory lane!

More from McKenzie

If Drouin is traded, TB will have to get a piece that helps them this season and a significant prospect for the future. Maybe a pick, too?

And this from Dreger

I'm told Yzerman was asking for a right shot D as part of any Drouin deal.

A smart GM waits until the off-season, then.  Y help Y get out of his mess?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.