Roster review: #41 Andrej Meszaros

dudacek

Andrej Meszaros  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Would you question Tim Murray's ability if he re-signed Meszaros to a cheap deal?

• Hell, yes. I never want to see him an a Sabres jersey again
    • No, he's a decent depth defenceman
    • I already question Tim Murray's ability

Next up in our player discussion series:

post-2708-0-43411900-1430315326_thumb.jpg

#41 Andrej Meszaros D (29-year-old UFA)

Buffalo                 60/7/7/14/-13/36

There was a time Meszaros was a big, highly regarded young defenceman who strung together three consecutive 35-point seasons with the Ottawa Senators. The sky seemed to be the limit. Two disappointing seasons in Tampa turned into two rebound seasons in Philadelphia, turned into two seasons where injuries rendered him irrelevant.

When Tim Murray signed him to a one-year $4 million contract it seemed like a decent gamble on both sides. The Sabres had the cap space to overpay on a one-year deal for a guy who had received a Norris trophy vote just three years before. Meszaros gave up security to get paid more this year than he would have received anywhere else. Both sides were betting he could shake off the hurts and rebound into a solid NHL defenceman, setting himself up for a better UFA deal this summer.

By anyone’s estimation, Meszaros got off to a horrible start to the season, looking slow afoot, making frequent poor decisions and seemingly picking up a minus nearly every game. He quickly became Sabrespace’s favourite whipping boy, a status he never really relinquished, even though he had seven goals and was a respectable -3 over his final 50 games.

Virtually everyone seems to believe he is gone. The question is does Tim Murray feel the same way?

Links to the rest of the series:

Anders Linback: http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/23313-roster-review-35-anders-lindback/

Pat Kaleta: http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/23321-roster-review-36-patrick-kaleta/

Johan Larsson: http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/23326-roster-review-22-johan-larsson/

Matt Hackett: http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/23335-roster-review-31-matt-hackett/

Edited by dudacek

I can see Meszaros being an inexpensive insurance player for a young D-man like Zadorov. If  Zadorov comes to camp out of shape, has a bad camp, they want him in Rochester, then signing Mess is not a bad option.  Better still, would be to sign a UFA that is better than Mess.

Who?

The first half of Messy Balls.

You should do them both as a two part thread.

First half Messy Balls became second half presentable Balls after a shower and some man-scaping.

Those are the Balls I now have a mental picture of playing for the Sabres in 15-16 if he is signed. Don't want you getting the wrong idea of which Balls I have playing.

:P

Edited by Woods-Racer

I think Meszaros may have salvaged his NHL career with his second half.

GMs have long memories and may blame last season on Buffalo.

I never want to see him again in blue and gold.

Too many painful memories.

I think Meszaros may have salvaged his NHL career with his second half.

GMs have long memories and may blame last season on Buffalo.

I never want to see him again in blue and gold.

Too many painful memories.

A philly fan friend of mine said that he inexplicably scored a bunch at the end of their seasons, too.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.