2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

Girgensons on the right-hand side? He played out on the left last year (?).

From a handedness standpoint, maybe Reinhart could slide onto Eichel's right and Girgensons center the third line.

Then again, you then you'd have two rookies on the second line. No bueno.

After x amount games are played and experienced is gained, I'd want Eichel 1st line C, O'Reilly 1s line RW, Reinhart 2nd line C, Ennis 2nd line RW and Girgensons 3rd line C. This keeps the rookies a part and probably suits each player best. 

In his WGR interview this morning, which I just listened to, Bylsma said he'd considering playing Ristolainen on the left side. Wonder if he wants Risto-Bogo together to give them both humongous big minutes.

I think that would be the thought process behind that. Especially since last season Bogo showed he was pretty effective getting 25+ mins a night.

After x amount games are played and experienced is gained, I'd want Eichel 1st line C, O'Reilly 1s line RW, Reinhart 2nd line C, Ennis 2nd line RW and Girgensons 3rd line C. This keeps the rookies a part and probably suits each player best. 

I agree that is the ideal long term scenario, however given Eichel and Reinhart's age and experience, we are probably 2+ years away from seeing that lineup regularly.

I think that would be the thought process behind that. Especially since last season Bogo showed he was pretty effective getting 25+ mins a night.

I agree that is the ideal long term scenario, however given Eichel and Reinhart's age and experience, we are probably 2+ years away from seeing that lineup regularly.

Good point. Tampa played it relatively safe w/ Stamkos his rookie season. Believe he averaged 14:52 of ice time. 

I am less concerned about Eichel and Reinhart and more interested to see how far Ristolainen progresses this season. I know that sounds weird but Risto is entering that 3rd year breakout area and I want him to hit it.  Eichelhart has 2 years to grow.

I think Bylsma also said he wasn't abject to putting OReilly at wing with Eichel for 10 minutes in a game or 10 game stretch.

What about:

Kane Eichel OReilly

Moulson Gus Ennis

Reinhart Larrson Gionta

Deslaurier Foligno Legwand McGinn McCormick dividing it up.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I think Bylsma also said he wasn't abject to putting OReilly at wing with Eichel for 10 minutes in a game or 10 game stretch.

What about:

Kane Eichel OReilly

Moulson Gus Ennis

Reinhart Larrson Gionta

ROR plays LW when not playing C

What about:

Kane Eichel OReilly

Moulson Gus Ennis

Reinhart Larrson Gionta

I will happily admit Reinhart may end up at wing for a time, but it isn't going to be on his off hand side. If he plays wing we are talking as a righty. 

Kane — O’Reilly — Ennis

Moulson — Eichel — Girgensons

Foligno — Reinhart — Gionta

Deslauriers — Larsson — McGinn

(Legwand, McCormick)

Gorges — Ristolainen

McCabe — Bogosian 

(UFA)  — Pysyk  

(Weber)

Lehner

Johnson

That Larsson group would be the best 4th line we've had in years, IMO and an absolute pain to play against — nasty, physical and responsible.

I just drool over these forward combinations. Everyone is put in a position to succeed.

I think we pay too much attention to 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th as labels. Lines and how they are used depend a lot on opposing lineups, and ice time is dictated a lot by special teams.

Girgensons on the right-hand side? He played out on the left last year (?).

From a handedness standpoint, maybe Reinhart could slide onto Eichel's right and Girgensons center the third line.

Then again, you then you'd have two rookies on the second line. No bueno.

Personally, I agree with that Yzerman quote from the weekend: it's not about positions and handedness so much as it is about finding guys that play well together and lines that fill specific roles. Take X.'s second line. Jack is the offensive catalyst. Zemgus is the back checker and forechecker. Matty Mo will be a good calming influence on Jack and be able to finish and utilize the open space Jack and Zemgus create.

Maybe Zemgus plays left and Matty moves to the right, so he open for more shots coming from Jack's forehand. Players connect and find surprising ways to make things work.

I am less concerned about Eichel and Reinhart and more interested to see how far Ristolainen progresses this season. I know that sounds weird but Risto is entering that 3rd year breakout area and I want him to hit it.  Eichelhart has 2 years to grow.

I want to say the same thing about Zemgus. A lot of people have compared him to O'Reilly.

RoR had two years of effort and smarts and decent skill before adding in the offence in the third year.

With the spotlight off him a bit, playing with better players, against better opponents, in a better system, I think Z really steps up his game. I predict Bylsma interviews around Christmas where he talks about how much Girgensons has opened his eyes.

Edited by dudacek

Here is my stab w/o taking into potential FA moves:

L                                  C                                              R

Kane                         ROR                                            Gionta

Kane is a puck carrier like Jack.  You want Jack to carry it as much as possible in protected minutes.  Gionta can play with the vets and probably increase his output and still be a role model.

Gus                            Jack                                              Ennis

Speed scoring touch and the requisite grit

Moulson                     Samson                                  Foligno

They have the same relative speed and would be great finishers for a premier set up man.

Deslauriers                        Larson/Legwand                               McGinn

Note:  I think Larson Gets traded.  Lot of giddyup and thump with above average scoring potential.  

Keep in mind with Stamkos that Barry Melrose was his coach for half the year, is a buffoon, and wouldn't give him regular ice time.

Melrose was canned after 16 games. Took a look at the ice time for his first 16 games, he played about 12 minutes a game. That's an eye ball number. Didn't feel like doing a little math. There were few as low as 7 when Melrose coached, but there were stretches in the 2nd half the season where he received less than 10 minutes on ice. But yeah, Melrose is an idiot. Can't believe I even bother to listen to him on ESPN. Man, can't believe I even bother to watch anything hockey related on ESPN. 

To me, Reinhart to me needs to be paired with someone with the scoring touch of Moulson, Ennis, etc. Foligno and Gionta I'm not really seeing, but who knows where the chemistry will form. If the stars really aligned I could see the two of them combining for 40-50 goals. 

I do feel that they need either Kane or Foligno on Eichel's wing. I feel like there are going to be some "welcome to the NHL" moments, moreso than with Reinhart. Eichel's name has been in the headlines (not just prospect reports) for like two years. Luckily he appears to be pretty well built for an 18 year old.

Love the idea of Risto and Bogo on a line. Bring the nasty.

Also, I would love to see Kane, Eichel, and Girgensons on a line. That could be really exciting.

well after listening to Bylsma and Murray I am guessing this

Kane - ROR - Ennis

Moulson - Eichel - Zemgus

Foligno - Larsson - Reinhart/Gionta

Deslauriers - McCormick - TBD

Sounds like Reinhart will be broken in at RW and that he may also spend some time in Rochester depending on how physically ready for the NHL he is.  He still projects our to be a very good NHL center but at 19 is sounds like Bylsma is going to bring him along slowly.  The real issue I see is Gionta getting bumped due to other options but as he is the only true RW we have, he should see decent ice time.  Cody Hodgson doesn't make this roster.  I can't see a way for Cody to dig out of the Murray hole.  Outside of that I think you could see Zemgus and Eichel splitting time as #2 center but by New Years, this team will actually start settling into how it will look for the next 3-5 years.

So, you think McGinn is just going to what...go to Rochester? He's quite possibly a better player than Foligno.

So, you think McGinn is just going to what...go to Rochester? He's quite possibly a better player than Foligno.

Actually I was thinking of McGinn in that TBD slot.  Just haven't read or seen enough of him to have a good feeling for. Also he is coming off of back surgery so we need to see what he brings to camp.   As to your point about Foligno, Foligno spent last year getting back up to speed after having shoulder surgery. We should just him on this year.

Melrose was canned after 16 games. Took a look at the ice time for his first 16 games, he played about 12 minutes a game. That's an eye ball number. Didn't feel like doing a little math. There were few as low as 7 when Melrose coached, but there were stretches in the 2nd half the season where he received less than 10 minutes on ice. But yeah, Melrose is an idiot. Can't believe I even bother to listen to him on ESPN. Man, can't believe I even bother to watch anything hockey related on ESPN.

Man, I really thought he was around longer than 16 games. That's hilarious.

Actually I was thinking of McGinn in that TBD slot.  Just haven't read or seen enough of him to have a good feeling for. Also he is coming off of back surgery so we need to see what he brings to camp.   As to your point about Foligno, Foligno spent last year getting back up to speed after having shoulder surgery. We should just him on this year.

We should just...him on this year...huh? Lol.

I want Foligno and McGinn on a line together...I'd love to see Foligno center a line with McGinn and Deslauriers as his wings too. He played center a bit, no? (Better question, could he play center?) I really like McGinn, after reading up on him and seeing what Avs fans had to say about him. Sticks up for teammates, can score, hits, strong on the puck, etc.

(A lot of people think McGinn gets offered decent money next year, if he stays healthy...he's probably only here for one year.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

Obviously doesn't factor in here but:

Hoppe: RFA Jordan Samuels-Thomas will not be tendered a contract. He could still come back to the #Sabres later, however. The door isn't closed.

He was given a flyer because of his size, but he showed in the prospects camp that he didn't have the skill. Not sure how he played in Rochester this year as I don't have access to those games. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.