2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

Anyone in mind at #21 or is there a defender the Sabres should be moving up to take a run at. I've looked over some mock drafts and there seems to be defenders throughout the first round. Just wondering if there is a consensus d-man fans would like to see in the blue & gold. 

They should move up and take Provorov (doubtful, he's going top 10) or Werenski.  Werenski is IMPO comparable to Hanifin.  If they stay at 21, Jakub Zboril.  I hate Kylington for various reasons but he just is missing things I want.  Zboril is a PP QB and he is mean in his own end.  I think his upside is well worth the minimal downside.  

Here's a good scouting report on Zboril

http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/04/15/2015-nhl-draft-profile-15-jakub-zboril/

Edited by LGR4GM

At 21 Jakub Zboril is the one that appears to fit our needs best: two-way guy, left-handed shot, with an edge.

But there are others around that spot:

Jeremy Roy is small but not soft and can QB the PP.

Brandon Carlo is a Tallinder type

And Oliver Kylington might be the best skater in the draft. A year ago they were talking a top five pick and comparing him to Karlsson. But he had a terrible year and has dropped like a rock. Might be available in the second round.

As for trading up Zach Werenski and Ivan Provorov are great prospects.

We would likely have to move into the top 10 to acquire one though.

They should move up and take Provorov (doubtful, he's going top 10) or Werenski.  Werenski is IMPO comparable to Hanifin.  If they stay at 21, Jakub Zboril.  I hate Kylington for various reasons but he just is missing things I want.  Zboril is a PP QB and he is mean in his own end.  I think his upside is well worth the minimal downside.  

Here's a good scouting report on Zboril

http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/04/15/2015-nhl-draft-profile-15-jakub-zboril/

Thanks. 

That #21 pick is going make this draft very interesting. 

Looks like he plans to stay here.

Google translation of a follow-up Swedish newspaper article:

http://www.expressen.se/gt/sport/pappan-lag-bakom-hans-frolundarykte/

Buffalo striker Johan Larsson was seen at the weekend along with Frölunda's head coach Roger Rönnberg in Gothenburg, which blogger MrMadhawk was the first to report on.

Johan Larsson was assistant captain Johan Sundström in the Rönnberg-trained team that won the Junior World Championship gold in Canada three years ago.
Islander Larsson's in the same situation as Johan Sundström - he sits on an NHL contract runs out this summer.
Looking for a center
Speculation began at directly given to Frolunda is looking for a center to build the team around.
But any transition to Frolunda hardly seems likely. In an interview with Gefle Dagblad gives Johan Larsson explained why he was in Gothenburg this weekend:
- Dad ran Göteborgsvarvet. Further, it was not.
Johan Larsson, who left Brynäs after SM gold in 2012, harrowed last winter in the AHL team Rochester Americans wondering where their future.
But then, he was named to the Buffalo Sabres in the NHL and was a regular during the last half of the season.
"Will probably a solution"
Larsson scored 16 points (6 + 10) in 39 games.
- Had I not had the chance I'd probably looked at other options either in Sweden or Europe. But any time I want to play in the NHL and now it will probably be a solution with the Buffalo another year, says Johan Larsson and continues:
- Hopefully I get a chance from the start and do a whole season. I will in any case fight really hard for it to be so.
Edited by dudacek

I got to spend over a week in Gothenburg when I worked for Volvo Truck. What an amazing city. I can see why someone would be reluctant to leave. I know I was.

And everything you've heard about Swedish women is wrong. They can't do justice with words on how amazing they are. Just beautiful and classy, too.

Edited by MBHockey13

I hope so, seems he has a bit of a me complex.

False

I got to spend over a week in Gothenburg when I worked for Volvo Truck. What an amazing city. I can see why someone would be reluctant to leave. I know I was.

And everything you've heard about Swedish women is wrong. They can't do justice with words on how amazing they are. Just beautiful and classy, too.

Who has heard anything bad about Swedish women. They have been the gold standard for hotness for decades.

I would be quite surprised if Robin Lehner is not a Sabre by the end of June.

Given Lehner's concussion history (I think he's had two recently) I bet Ottawa would rather get rid of him first. I'd rather have Anderson, I think he is the most underrated goaltender in the league. 

Given Lehner's concussion history (I think he's had two recently) I bet Ottawa would rather get rid of him first. I'd rather have Anderson, I think he is the most underrated goaltender in the league.

He's also over 30. Murray will want a goalie to grow with his core.

In answer to Deluca, a second rounder?

Goalies don't get much, according to this from the hockey news, prior to this year's deadline and going back to 2010

Devan Dubnyk to Nashville for Matt Hendricks

Cory Schneider for the ninth overall pick (Bo Horvat)

Jonathan Bernier for Ben Scrivens, Matt Frattin, second-rounder

Ben Bishop for Cory Conacher, fourth-rounder

Steve Mason for Michael Leighton, third-rounder

Sergei Bobrovsky for second-rounder, two fourth-rounders

Anders Lindback (and Kyle Wilson) for two second-rounders, one third-rounder and Sebastien Caron

Tomas Vokoun for a seventh-rounder

Semyon Varlamov for first-rounder (Filip Forsberg) and second-rounder

Brian Elliott for Craig Anderson

Dwayne Roloson for Ty Wishart

Jaroslav Halak for Lars Eller and Ian Schultz

Kari Lehtonen for Ivan Vishnevskiy and fourth-rounder

Edited by dudacek

He's also over 30. Murray will want a goalie to grow with his core.

True. I figured Murray might want a stopgap while our goaltenders work their way up through the ranks. Anderson is a great athlete, he's not slowing down yet. He's got 2-3 years left in him. 

I guess it depends if Murray is counting on the goaltenders in the system to be the eventual starters or not. Lehner hasn't put up the best numbers the last couple of years but he's still young. And we saw what Irbe has done with goaltenders. 

There just seem to be enough UFA goalies out there, don't feel like we should trade for one. 

I understand the sentiment but for me, I'm completely on the Robin Lehner train. Physically, he is a large goalie that fits the Murray mold, and although he has struggled a bit the last 2 seasons, had good numbers before that and was a valued prospect. Still really young, only 23, and can grow with the team. He's a talented goalie, I'd rather have him over Hammond, who the Senators just gave a contract. And probably over Anderson too, due to his age.

Edited by Thorny

I said previously when I drew up my team for next year, I would want Lehner...put a 3rd and a 5th on it, I think.

I read an article about Murray drafting him and (slightly) comparing him to Lundqvist, "but wouldn't go that far."

He obviously likes/liked the kid, a lot, at one point...just look at the quotes I DID find:

In his latest chat, Lehner reveals Tim Murray approached him prior to his first Binghamton Senators playoff game and said something to the effect of “now we’ll see if you have the makings of a star.”

Lehner responded in a big way, obviously, leading the B-Sens to the Calder Cup championship and picked up an MVP award along the way.

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/nhl/senatorsextra/the-world-doesnt-know-the-real-robin-lehner-yet

“It’s fine to shut down our first or second line, but our third or fourth lines are deep as well. If Robin makes the saves he should make, we’ll be right there.”

http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/05/25/calder-cup-run-makes-young-sens-believers

(This story is really interesting, about the young Senators and Murray running the show.)

Here is an interesting story about Lehner's father, who just happened to be Lundqvist's mentor.  http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2010/09/24/15471821.html
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/11141/2009_prospects_robin_lehner/

Here's a quote/scouting report comparing him to Lundqvist...but I can't find Murray's quote. (I'll keep digging...it's why I said I wanted him.)http://thehockeywriters.com/54-robin-lehner-%E2%80%93-the-hockey-spy%E2%80%99s-2009-nhl-entry-draft-rankings/

Edited by Bob Malooga

Oh yeah, he has also already had a pretty big performance, on a relatively big stage...in Buffalo's arena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHw6-YnHLxk

AND he seems to have a clear distaste for Canada...SIGN ME UP! Lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1kmZWCo5CI

OH MY GOD...DEFINITELY SIGN ME UP NOW!!! LMFAO!!! DOWN GOES HELENIUS!!!!!!!! BAHAHAHA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHH3z2IRf2M

Edited by Bob Malooga

SportsNet is reporting that Andrei Kostitsyn has had talks with at least one NHL team about coming back to the US on a one-year deal... I would be interested in giving him a shot. He's a left-handed right winger. He's a bigger player who put up 21-25-46 per 82 in five NHL seasons. Had a bump in the road when he and Radulov went out during the playoffs in his final season which probably played a role in him not getting another NHL deal.

If he's learned from that mistake and plays at a similar level he'd be an asset.

I understand the sentiment but for me, I'm completely on the Robin Lehner train. Physically, he is a large goalie that fits the Murray mold, and although he has struggled a bit the last 2 seasons, had good numbers before that and was a valued prospect. Still really young, only 23, and can grow with the team. He's a talented goalie, I'd rather have him over Hammond, who the Senators just gave a contract. And probably over Anderson too, due to his age.

yeah i get why lehner would be a nice target, but i have one problem, how much are his concussion issues going to affect his play ?

wouldn't give them more than a 3rd rounder.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.