Briere suspended for 2 games

GGM

NHL is a complete joke, how bout Kasparitus' questionable hit on Connoly. If an accidental high stick draws two games, why doesn't a possibly malignant hit draw any suspension.

p.s. anybody else notice how poor the officiating has been during the skid. I have a suspicion this is not all coincidental.

NHL is a complete joke, how bout Kasparitus' questionable hit on Connoly. If an accidental high stick draws two games, why doesn't a possibly malignant hit draw any suspension.

p.s. anybody else notice how poor the officiating has been during the skid. I have a suspicion this is not all coincidental.

I have notcied this as well, but didn't want to sound like I was letting the Sabres off the hook for playing like garbage.

The guy at the top of this thread had it right: This is a suspension for diving, not high-sticking. By suspending Briere for that incedent, they are basically warning him to stop diving AND saying that the high stick to Leetch was a result of a dive.

Just my opinion...

I have notcied this as well, but didn't want to sound like I was letting the Sabres off the hook for playing like garbage.

The guy at the top of this thread had it right: This is a suspension for diving, not high-sticking. By suspending Briere for that incedent, they are basically warning him to stop diving AND saying that the high stick to Leetch was a result of a dive.

Just my opinion...

Your opinion sounds about right. I love Briere but this team hasn't played well since his return. I liked it more when drury was more in the forefront with his leadership. I don't know briere's contract status but moving him this off season wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe bring in a dman, we have loads of forwards coming up through the system. Just thinking ahead. Go sabres.

Your opinion sounds about right. I love Briere but this team hasn't played well since his return. I liked it more when drury was more in the forefront with his leadership. I don't know briere's contract status but moving him this off season wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe bring in a dman, we have loads of forwards coming up through the system. Just thinking ahead. Go sabres.

You've GOT to be kidding me!

I sure as hell hope so. The eight game winning streak was almost exclusively because of Briere's play. The man was on fire. He has the ability to carry a team unlike anyone else on the roster.

DCSabres must be joking, he had like the 2nd most points in the month of march or something like that, he's on crack if he's serious. Briere was one of the only guys working his butt off during the skid.

How does Briere get a suspension on a play where no penalty against Briere was called and the only reason his stick went up in the air was because Leetch tripped him and was penalized for it. If the penalty doesn't happen, Briere's stick is no where near Leetch... so in a way, Leetch brought that on himself, plus it was a TOTAL accident. Dumont got clubbed right in the face on purpose, maybe not intended to hit the face but still, and there was no call and no suspension.

the NHL is a freaking joke. Why does the league listen to the Boston whiners so much? If it was Toronto or a canadian team, I see the unfairness but what points do they get out of helping Boston?????

Nope. :D

I sure as hell hope so. The eight game winning streak was almost exclusively because of Briere's play. The man was on fire. He has the ability to carry a team unlike anyone else on the roster.

Do you remember how this team was playing without him during the first half of the season? They were playing like a team. Since then they don't appear to be playing like a team. It's as if they are just expecting Danny to make all the plays. I like Briere. He is probably the only dynamic scorer (Connolly might be close) on his team. Problem is, you have to pay scorers. Come contract time, someone will pony up major coin for little Danny. I was hoping people might be able to understand this without me typing every detail, but here I am. We are going to lose him at some point. Toronto (or somebody) will probably throw $7 million a year at him and we can't match that. All that being said, before his contract is up and we get nothing for him, maybe we can move him for a top defenseman.

Sabres Payroll

Player Name Contract Status % of Payroll Salary ($)

Tim Connolly 1 year. 3.59 1,036,900

Ales Kotalik 1 year. 2.90 837,900

Jochen Hecht 3 years, $6 million total 6.58 1,900,000

Taylor Pyatt 1 year. 3.43 989,720

Maxim Afinogenov 1 year. 3.76 1,086,800

J.P. Dumont 1 year. 5.53 1,596,000

Dmitri Kalinin 1 year option. 4.61 1,330,000

Jay McKee 1 year. 5.53 1,596,000

Martin Biron 1 year. 7.37 2,128,000

Mika Noronen 1 year. 2.30 665,000

Adam Mair 1 year left on 3 year deal. 1.56 450,000

Ryan Miller 1 year. 1.74 501,600

Andrew Peters 1 year. 1.56 450,000

Paul Gaustad 1 year. 1.56 450,000

Jason Pominville Signed, 1 yr left on rookie deal. 1.56 450,000

Derek Roy 1 yr left on rookie deal 2.60 750,000

Henrik Tallinder 1 year. 2.05 591,800

Daniel Briere 1 year. 6.71 1,938,000

Thomas Vanek 2 yrs left on rookie deal 3.26 942,400

Rory Fitzpatrick 1 year club option. 1.84 532,000

Chris Drury 3 yrs left on 5 yr deal 10.13 2,926,000

Brian Campbell 1 year. 1.59 459,800

Mike Grier 1 year. 4.73 1,364,400

Teppo Numminen 1 year contract. 6.93 2,000,000

Toni Lydman 1 year left.. 6.58 1,900,000

Total Payroll $28,872,320

Let's see who might be staying and who will be going. We know for sure that Vanek, Drury, Hecht. I can't find a sight telling me who is a RFA and who will be a UFA. Little help?

ya know inkman i have to respect your opinion simply because you've researched it... thought it out and proven your persepective... that doesn't mean i agree with it though lol... but i think briere is a HUGE part of this team... to give him away would be suicide... unless a really top eschelon dman or forward could be had in return.

ya know inkman i have to respect your opinion simply because you've researched it... thought it out and proven your persepective... that doesn't mean i agree with it though lol... but i think briere is a HUGE part of this team... to give him away would be suicide... unless a really top eschelon dman or forward could be had in return.

I definitely wouldn't give him away. If we could trade for a Pronger (I know it's a reach but he's the first name that came into my head), I would definitely think about it. Under the new CBA do the Sabres still have Breire's rights? I can do research but I am at work and I would like to get something done besides message board research. Danny will command 4-5 million and I'm not sure if that fits into the Sabres salary structure.

So accidental high sticks garner suspensions? Good to know.

2 games for accidental high stick vs. 3 games for hitting from behind, breaking someone's neck and ending their season (Erik Cole)

I see

I think that sums it up best. The hit on Cole deserved much more than 3 games but I am not against Danny getting a game for diving.

And that clearly seems to be the case here. It does not matter whether the ref made a call or not. Refs do occassionally miss calls and that is why this system is in place. But at the NHL level tell Briere this suspension is for diving, not high-sticking.

Screw the NHL. No penalty on the play and Briere gets two games. F-you NHL! :angry:

http://www.nhl.com/news/2006/03/266476.html

There was a penalty on the play. LEETCH 2 mins for tripping. :P

What a bunch of giving Briere 2 game suspension. He was falling from the trip for christsakes!! Sure coulda used Danny last night in Jersey. game that was. Not really the Sabres, just the boring trap Devils style.

Nope. :D

Do you remember how this team was playing without him during the first half of the season? They were playing like a team. Since then they don't appear to be playing like a team. It's as if they are just expecting Danny to make all the plays. I like Briere. He is probably the only dynamic scorer (Connolly might be close) on his team. Problem is, you have to pay scorers. Come contract time, someone will pony up major coin for little Danny. I was hoping people might be able to understand this without me typing every detail, but here I am. We are going to lose him at some point. Toronto (or somebody) will probably throw $7 million a year at him and we can't match that. All that being said, before his contract is up and we get nothing for him, maybe we can move him for a top defenseman.

Sabres Payroll

Let's see who might be staying and who will be going. We know for sure that Vanek, Drury, Hecht. I can't find a sight telling me who is a RFA and who will be a UFA. Little help?

Sabres have 4 UFA's: Teppo, Grier, Jay, and Rory. All the other guys on the last year of their contracts are RFA's.

Should the Sabres lose Danny to a $7MM contract they would get ~4 1st rounders as compensation. I don't see someone ponying up $7MM for him.

Sabres have 4 UFA's: Teppo, Grier, Jay, and Rory. All the other guys on the last year of their contracts are RFA's.

Should the Sabres lose Danny to a $7MM contract they would get ~4 1st rounders as compensation. I don't see someone ponying up $7MM for him.

If Teppo continues to play I would love to keep him and obviously Mckee is a must (unless someone offers him 4 milliion).

Archived