Special GDT: 12 University at Buffalo v 5 West Virginia (2:00, CBS)

Eleven

We won the A-10 championship three years ago... 7-2 all-time vs UB including a smooth victory this year. Bonas was the better team this year. They just played in a real conference.

The A-10 got 3 teams in on a weak year... The MAC is a one-team league in the NCAA tournament. It is a weak conference. The A-10 consistently performs come tournament time. It is three times the conference the MAC is.

History. I'm talking future. Hopefully UB has time for its three little sisters moving forward.

See, now this is going to be fun.

The truth is somewhat between these two posts.  I don't think much of the MAC, but I don't think much of the A-10, either.  And the Sabres won a division five years ago.  Yippee.

UB has been to one tournament and one minor bowl game in 21 years of alleged D-I sports.  It has little to show for the investment.

In the same timeframe, St. Bonaventure has one A-10 men's basketball championship.  Not much to crow about there, either.

Edited by Eleven

St. Bonaventure has six tournament appearances as the second smallest D1 basketball school in the nation. They've got the bragging rights over UB locked up in a box and it'll be a while before UB even knows where that box is... Bonaventure has dominated the "rivalry" every step of the way. They're in a legitimate conference that consistently plays well come March. When I get time I can lay it out to make it more clear if you'd like.

Bonas was and is the superior basketball program. Maybe UB is finally on their way to changing that, but we'll have to wait and see.

St. Bonaventure has six tournament appearances as the second smallest D1 basketball school in the nation. They've got the bragging rights over UB locked up in a box and it'll be a while before UB even knows where that box is... Bonaventure has dominated the "rivalry" every step of the way. They're in a legitimate conference that consistently plays well come March. When I get time I can lay it out to make it more clear if you'd like.

Bonas was and is the superior basketball program. Maybe UB is finally on their way to changing that, but we'll have to wait and see.

How many "big dance" victories since the Lanier days? UB will win one game next year in March and will "surge" ahead of  Bona's legacy.

Its like leaf fans telling me how they won the Cup when there were six teams in the league.

The A-10 has 14 wins the last three tournaments. The MAC has two... The A-10 is the 6th or 7th best basketball conference. The MAC is 11th or 12th... It is a bit laughable to debate the two because the MAC is nowhere near comparable.

It's like comparing the Houston Astros to the AAA champs.

Bonas isn't just relying on the glory days. They consistently beat UB, play in a better conference and are still better overall.

Bonas beat them by nine... Bonas was 7-4 OOC, UB was 9-3. In conference Bonas 10-8, UB was 12-6. There's not enough of a difference there to make a clear argument for UB and make up for the fact that they're in a far weaker conference... UB needed to win two games to win their tournament and get to the NCAAs while the A-10 tournament is formatted to require a marathon vs getting hot for two days.

If all things were equal and Bonas was in the MAC they would be consistently contending as a top two team and would be in the tournament every other year at least.

Edited by Tank

I think peeked in HS Rob Lowe is really super creepy Rob Lowe. Perhaps peaked in HS is who you mean :nana:

Yeah, what he said!

I could have gone with piqued, then we'd have been in real trouble.

Edited by ubkev

I graduated less than a year ago, Webster. I know you just want to ignore the entire basis of the argument by throwing garbage insults... But this has nothing to do with glory days. This is about now. Bonaventure is still the better program in a far better conference. That's all I'm arguing. Historically Bonaventure is better. That was just me adding to the comparison, but what I'm truly arguing is that Bonas is the better program.

Interesting that you keep telling me about the conference and only one note about Bona winning the conference in a down year for the A-10 three years ago. As I said, Bona beat an injury depleted team, at home while Lamonte Bearden was still getting his feet wet.

At least in this thread I don't have to worry about figuring out what is fact and what is your opinion.

Finally, it would be great if they were in the same conference but UB is kinda of a stickler about stepping down with schools that don't have the same academic standards.

I graduated less than a year ago, Webster. I know you just want to ignore the entire basis of the argument by throwing garbage insults... But this has nothing to do with glory days. This is about now. Bonaventure is still the better program in a far better conference. That's all I'm arguing. Historically Bonaventure is better. That was just me adding to the comparison, but what I'm truly arguing is that Bonas is the better program.

There is no doubt they were the better program. There is no doubt they are in the better basketball conference. I am arguing that at this point there is no basis to say they are the better program now just because their conference is better. With what UB has coming back and what they have coming in already comitted, I would be surprised if Bona could stay within double digits next year everythiing being equal.

Interesting that you keep telling me about the conference and only one note about Bona winning the conference in a down year for the A-10 three years ago. As I said, Bona beat an injury depleted team, at home while Lamonte Bearden was still getting his feet wet.

At least in this thread I don't have to worry about figuring out what is fact and what is your opinion.

Finally, it would be great if they were in the same conference but UB is kinda of a stickler about stepping down with schools that don't have the same academic standards.

"Down year" where they had four teams in the tournament and were represented in the Sweet 16.

UB doesn't care about the academic standards because it wouldn't change if they went to a better or worse conference. The A-10 has he 5th highest APR of conferences in the country... So that little shot was baseless.

Not really. Akron? Some directional Michigan school? MAC is not an academic powerhouse, and UB isn't what it was in the 80s, either.

Some directional Michigan school? You mean all of them! It's like the Ivy league of the UP!

(is the upper peninsula in Michigan? Are there schools there? #newyorkergeography)

"Down year" where they had four teams in the tournament and were represented in the Sweet 16.

UB doesn't care about the academic standards because it wouldn't change if they went to a better or worse conference. The A-10 has he 5th highest APR of conferences in the country... So that little shot was baseless.

Interesting that the MAC was represented in the sweet 16 that same year. Like I said, you have history, I am pretty sure I have the present and the future but only time will tell.

And lighten up, it was all in fun. Its good to be invested in something positive and I'm sure you feel the same way. For what its worth, I would be just as excited if Bona was in big dance. I have a lot of fond memories of the Reilly Center......and some not so great ones to.

Interesting that the MAC was represented in the sweet 16 that same year. Like I said, you have history, I am pretty sure I have the present and the future but only time will tell.

And lighten up, it was all in fun. Its good to be invested in something positive and I'm sure you feel the same way. For what its worth, I would be just as excited if Bona was in big dance. I have a lot of fond memories of the Reilly Center......and some not so great ones to.

The A-10 has been represented in the Sweet 16 in each of the last three seasons including the Elite 8 last season. :p

Personally, I was surprised when I felt more annoyed than happy with UB's success this year. Five years ago I would've been ecstatic. Apparently dealing with the rivalry as a part of the crowd changed the way I look at UB.

The A-10 has been represented in the Sweet 16 in each of the last three seasons including the Elite 8 last season. :p

Personally, I was surprised when I felt more annoyed than happy with UB's success this year. Five years ago I would've been ecstatic. Apparently dealing with the rivalry as a part of the crowd changed the way I look at UB.

You were more annoyed than happy with UB's success? Well, I never would have guessed that by the tone of your post following the loss. Jealousy does crazy things to people :p

Edit: By the way, MAC was 10th in conference RPI this year and 12th last year. Hardly the garbage you make it out to be.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.