Revisiting the Neuvirth-Johnson trade (for tinfoil hat-wearers only)

PASabreFan

The deadline deal that sent Michal Neuvirth to the Island for Chad Johnson was a head-scratcher for me. Johnson had his ups and down, mostly down, but he had played well in February and had earned the praise of his coach just before the deal.

"There's no question that Chad has been playing real well for us, obviously. You don't want a goalie to sit too long . . . Both guys are going to get an opportunity to play and I think it's good for both guys because they both work extremely hard and Jaro is now at a point where he's played a lot of hockey." .... "Jaro was going through a stretch there where he was winning a lot of hockey games, and Chad understood that and he worked hard to get back in, and now that Chad is having success, it's helping our team," Capuano said. "Jaro feels the same way."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/capuano-to-give-chad-johnson-more-chances-to-play-1.9986510

Why would a contending team swap backup goalies at the deadline, when your backup has been getting his game in shape? What was going on with Halak's health and what happened to Johnson between the publication of the story above (February 27) and March 2?

Fast forward to today. Neuvirth has started three of the last five games for the Islanders, an odd trend for a slumping team that's just been surpassed by the Rangers for first place. And Halak is now out day to day with a lower body injury.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=38027

Is it fair to assume the injury is not new and was a consideration in the decision to acquire Neuvirth? The Islanders might have foreseen the need to spell Halak more. Still, why not stick with Johnson? Maybe because Johnson was already hurt and they knew he could be done for the season, leaving them with Kevin Poulin playing perhaps the majority of games down the stretch?

How would that conversation have gone between Snow and Murray? Snow: Do you want Johnson? He could be done for the year. Murray: Sure, we'll just have him get injured in his first practice and no jury in the land could convict us.

Correction: Johnson's injury (I won't call it alleged, but I guess that's what I'm suggesting) came in the morning skate on Friday before the Ottawa game that night. I don't think it was his first time on the ice with the team ("his first practice").

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain

If what you're suggesting is true, that's makes Snow a genius.

He knows he has a good goalie under contract for another year and half at a good salary, but he's got a lingering injury. That was ok because he doesn't need him but occasionally to rest his starter. Then his starter goes down.

Who does Snow call that would love a good low salary goalie for next year, and the Isles get a good goalie this year.? Why GMTM!

"Snow here Murray, got a great tank proposition for you so just hear me out..."

I'm staring at the tin foil..

How would they have gotten this by Nolan without him squawking? He couldn't keep his mouth shut about Pysyk sitting in Roch - no way the story that Johnson got hurt on the last shot of practice goes unchallenged until now if Nolan knew he was hurt when acquired.

Don't traded players have to pass a physical or is that simply a clause that was ignored/swept under the foil hat?

I don't think it's an NHL or player union rule. I think it's part of a deal if both sides want a healthy player. The Kane deal has no condition in it that he must pass a physical, as we all knew he was injured but still part of a trade.

Edited by Woods-Racer

I don't think it's an NHL or player union rule. I think it's part of a deal if both sides want a healthy player. The Kane deal has no condition in it that he must pass a physical, as we all knew he was injured but still part of a trade.

Yes you can deal for a healthy player and note that he has an existing injury and cannot and is not expected to pass a physical. The Bills did something similar for Cassell and the leagues have similar rules in this area. 

Yes you can deal for a healthy player and note that he has an existing injury and cannot and is not expected to pass a physical. The Bills did something similar for Cassell and the leagues have similar rules in this area. 

I'm not sure what you're saying.  You're first sentence is a total contradiction of it's self. He's healthy, but can't pass a physical because he is injured.  

Please expand on your thought.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.