Trade: Chris Stewart to Minnesota Wild

LGR4GM

I wouldn't mind getting him back after the year. Don't think it's going to happen, though. If he is on our third or fourth line then I'm psyched cuz that means we have a pretty f'n good team. Though too.

Also, if you can win with a guy who is "inconsistent" (which is bs), that's a guy who can get hot in the playoffs.

Chris Stewart being inconsistent is BS?  Ok.  Drew Stafford was a stalwart for us as well.

Chris Stewart being inconsistent is BS?  Ok.  Drew Stafford was a stalwart for us as well.

Chris Stewart is another player who carries that 1st round draft pick albatross around his neck. If teams can adjust their expectations of Stewart to a more realistic level and he is allowed to gain some stability in his career, IMO, he can be a valuable player to a winning team. I had hoped the Sabres would keep him, I hope now they look to resign him come July 1st. This bouncing around teams, which will likely be 5 teams (unless he re-signs with the Wild) before he turns 28 is the worst thing to happen to a player like Stewart. I think history has shown that players not just plug in and go. Edited by DeLuca1967

If we were good enough to have other guys scoring in the gaps between when Stewart and Stafford scored, we wouldn't notice them being "inconsistent".

If we were good enough to have other guys scoring in the gaps between when Stewart and Stafford scored, we wouldn't notice them being "inconsistent".

The Blues had that, and they still shipped him out of town for being inconsistent.  All players play better when surrounded by real talent, that doesn't make Stewart good.  I'd rather play Nic Deslauriers in his spot.

The Blues had that, and they still shipped him out of town for being inconsistent.  All players play better when surrounded by real talent, that doesn't make Stewart good.  I'd rather play Nic Deslauriers in his spot.

If Chris Stewart is a 3rd or 4th liner on my team, that means we are really good and making a run in the playoffs. If Deslauriers is a 3rd or 4th liner on my team, unless he gets much better, we're probably not making the playoffs. I'll take Stewart. Just my take.

If Chris Stewart is a 3rd or 4th liner on my team, that means we are really good and making a run in the playoffs. If Deslauriers is a 3rd or 4th liner on my team, unless he gets much better, we're probably not making the playoffs. I'll take Stewart. Just my take.

Based on what?  Your perceived value?  Deslauriers brings the same skill set to a third or fourth line, i.e. physicality and grit, that Stewart does but on a more consistent basis.  Stewart may have better scoring touch, but that is usually mitigated in a shut down role. 

Based on what?  Your perceived value?  Deslauriers brings the same skill set to a third or fourth line, i.e. physicality and grit, that Stewart does but on a more consistent basis.  Stewart may have better scoring touch, but that is usually mitigated in a shut down role.

If Stewart is going really well he can be a 2nd line winger. Deslauriers at his best, IMO, would still be a 3rd -4th liner. I see Deslauriers as a depth guy, probably a bubble player on a playoff caliber team. Not enough there to keep on the NHL roster, good enough to be a frequent injury call-up. Again, just my opinion.

If Stewart is going really well he can be a 2nd line winger. Deslauriers at his best, IMO, would still be a 3rd -4th liner. I see Deslauriers as a depth guy, probably a bubble player on a playoff caliber team. Not enough there to keep on the NHL roster, good enough to be a frequent injury call-up. Again, just my opinion.

I've seen enough growth from him this year that I'm ready to pencil him in as a 3rd liner for the future.  My opinion as well, also heavily biased with man crush.  I agree that Stewart fits better on a 2nd scoring line than he does on a checking 3rd line.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Stewart's game kind of resembles Ovechkin's, imo.  It was most noticeable on breakouts when he would head up ice a bit early and his linemates would try to him with a long bomb pass behind the defense.  Ovie does that all the time, so does Stewart.  That, and the more general style of being a pretty high-skill guy who likes to bang around.

I'll just let Deluca speak for me on this matter.

Stewart just has better hands. Much better. I don't think that can be learned, and the difference between the teams that win in the playoffs and those that lose is usually those 3rd or 4th line guys that score.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Stewart's game kind of resembles Ovechkin's, imo.  It was most noticeable on breakouts when he would head up ice a bit early and his linemates would try to him with a long bomb pass behind the defense.  Ovie does that all the time, so does Stewart.  That, and the more general style of being a pretty high-skill guy who likes to bang around.

What is this I don't even...

Stewart just has better hands. Much better. I don't think that can be learned, and the difference between the teams that win in the playoffs and those that lose is usually those 3rd or 4th line guys that score.

I hate guys that can't win battles to save their lives.  Stewart is huge, and he still can't.  That's more important in the playoffs.

What is this I don't even...

I hate guys that can't win battles to save their lives.  Stewart is huge, and he still can't.  That's more important in the playoffs.

I think this goes to teams misusing Stewart. Scoring 28 goals back in 2009-10 may very well be the worst thing to happen to Stewart's career. Teams see the offensive production early in his career and they focus on it, which causes Stewart to focus on it instead of going back to those things he did that got him to the NHL. Stewart needs to be in a situation where he can focus on being the player he is instead of the player he is expected to be. Which is why I thought he was a perfect fit for this franchise at this time. The Sabres are 2-3 years away before expectations start to creep in. That, IMO, is enough time for Stewart to settle into his game. Free of the expectation and preconceptions of his draft status and previous reputation.

Edited by DeLuca1967

I think this goes to teams misusing Stewart. Scoring 28 goals back in 2009-10 may very well be the worst thing to happen to Stewart's career. Teams see the offensive production early in his career and they focus on it, which causes Stewart to focus on it instead of going back to those things he did that got him to the NHL. Stewart needs to be in a situation where he can focus on being the player he is instead of the player he is expected to be. Which is why I thought he was a perfect fit for this franchise at this time. The Sabres are 2-3 years away before expectations start to creep in. That, IMO, is enough time for Stewart to settle into his game. Free of the expectation and preconceptions of his draft status and previous reputation.

I think that a leopard can't change its spots, and Stewart just isn't good.

And I will concede the floor to Qwk...carry on boys.

I think that a ###### leopard can't change its spots, and Stewart just isn't good.

Spots on a leopard are not a learned behavior, they are not subject to change. A hockey player's game is. I've seen too many players from Pierre Turgeon to Jaromir Jagr who have played their career one way and at some point as they grow they become a different player. Under the right circumstances a player can become more than what he is perceived to be.

I couldn't disagree more, Stewart is a very good hockey player who needs to find the right situation.

Holy mackerel.

Someone get the dart gun.

I see it. He may not be even remotely as talented as Ovi at achieving it, but it is a similar game.

I see it. He may not be even remotely as talented as Ovi at achieving it, but it is a similar game.

The problem is that Ovechkin can get away with that precisely because he is so "talented ... at achieving it."  It leaves your teammates basically short-handed, so you need to be able to cash in at a relatively high rate to justify it.

In gym class, we called that cherry-picking.  It was fun every once in while, but wasn't generally effective.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.