23-man roster predictions for 2015-16 season

JohnRobertEichel

Here's mine (new players are shown in caps, including any Sabre who is either injured for the year or is in minors):

G1 NIEMI

G2 MAKAROV

D1 Ristolainen - Zadorov

D2 Bogosian - Gorges

D3 PYSYK - MCCABE

D4 Weber

F1 KANE - REINHART - EICHEL

F2 Ennis - GRIGORENKO - Moulson

F3 Foligno - Girgensons - Gionta

F4 Deslauriers - LARSSON - Flynn

F5 MCCORMICK, Kaleta

Your thoughts? Feel free to post your own roster predictions or offer criticism on mine!

I think the only truly controversial thing I did here was place Eichel at right wing instead of center. First, I believe it's going to be Eichel because we are going to finish 30th and 80% is much more likely than 20%. Second, Eichel has the size and skillset to play as a power forward winger guy. Third, I like the idea of having our 3 most talented forwards on the same line.

Also note that I think we land the best free agent goalie, Hodgson gets bought out, and several Rochester guys are able to make the leap to the big leagues.

Here's mine (new players are shown in caps, including any Sabre who is either injured for the year or is in minors):

G1 NIEMI

G2 MAKAROV

D1 Ristolainen - Zadorov

D2 Bogosian - Gorges

D3 PYSYK - MCCABE

D4 Weber

F1 KANE - REINHART - EICHEL

F2 Ennis - GRIGORENKO - Moulson

F3 Foligno - Girgensons - Gionta

F4 Deslauriers - LARSSON - Flynn

F5 MCCORMICK, Kaleta

Your thoughts? Feel free to post your own roster predictions or offer criticism on mine!

I think the only truly controversial thing I did here was place Eichel at right wing instead of center. First, I believe it's going to be Eichel because we are going to finish 30th and 80% is much more likely than 20%. Second, Eichel has the size and skillset to play as a power forward winger guy. Third, I like the idea of having our 3 most talented forwards on the same line.

Also note that I think we land the best free agent goalie, Hodgson gets bought out, and several Rochester guys are able to make the leap to the big leagues.

You know initially I was going to argue where you put Jack, however with our lack of true RW talent I could actually see that for maybe the first year of his career.  At the end of the day though he will be moved to Center.  That said I think you would Zemgus and Girgorenko flipped simply because on the 2nd line Zemgus can shut teams down and produce. Grigorenko if he is still here needs to be put in a best situation possible so he can acclimate and thrive (I still think he is good).  Love the idea of that 4th line if you replace Flynn with Kaleta.  I think that gives you so much grit but with a scoring element.  Either way that lineup makes me happy.

Stewart is a gritty RW who can score, I'm pretty sure the Sabres need a RW atm. I'm conflicted whether they trade him, If they trade him it makes sense because his trade value is very high. If there's no chance he signs, trade him for a 2nd and a top prospect preferably a RW, The Sabres could afford to lose a few games without him anyway. I think Murray will sign two solid veteran players next year (preferably older, next year the Sabres will probably have a young team) I think you can get a 4th out of Mitchell or a third if packaged with another player or pick (4th and mitchell for a 3rd...?).. I'm willing to give Hodgson another chance. He was putting up good numbers a season or two ago. was really hoping the Sabres would hold onto Armia, he is super skilled and is  a RW. I hope the Sabres ditch Flynn, Mitchell, Beniot, Meszaros, Strachan and/or Weber Not sure if anyone else has much trade value though. 

Edited by BuffaloBorn

Oh what the hell, let's play fantasy hockey

O'Reilly   McEichel      Moulson

Ennis       Reinhart       Kane

Gionta     Girgensons  Foligno

Larsson/McCormick/Flynn/Deslauriers

Methot   Bogosian

Gorges   Ristolainen

Zadorov  Pysyk

Weber

Neuvirth/Some young guy stuck in some system

O'Reilly is here for Girgorenko, Hodgson, Islanders 1st and a conditional pick based on his resigning

Methot or some similar veteran Dman is our big free agent signing.

Other goalie comes in a relatively cheap trade.

Edited by dudacek

Moulson Girgensons Ennis

Kane Eichel Stewart (resigned)

Foligno Grigorenko Gionta

Deslauriers McCormick Kaleta

extras: Flynn, Larsson, (maybe Mitchell if resigned instead of one of the other two)

Gorges Bogosian

Zadorov Ristolainen

Weber Psysk

extra: Strachan (resigned) or someone similar

Goalies: I have no clue but definitely would happy with Niemi and resigning Enroth or Neuvirth

Changes: I think Hodgson gets bought out, Psysk makes the club as well as Grigorenko since he is no longer waiver exempt. I think McCabe get another year in the AHL and I think Reinhart also goes to Rochester for a stint unless he blows it up during his 9 game tryout. While Reinhart and McEichel get their 9 game tryout I think the forward lines will be adjusted slightly to something more like:

Moulson Girgensons Reinhart

Kane McEichel Ennis

Gionta Grigorenko Stewart

Deslauriers McCormick Foligno

Just a shot in the dark really, but then again that's the point of the thread.

Edited by Drunkard

Stewart is a gritty RW who can score, I'm pretty sure the Sabres need a RW atm. I'm conflicted whether they trade him, If they trade him it makes sense because his trade value is very high. If there's no chance he signs, trade him for a 2nd and a top prospect preferably a RW, The Sabres could afford to lose a few games without him anyway. I think Murray will sign two solid veteran players next year (preferably older, next year the Sabres will probably have a young team) I think you can get a 4th out of Mitchell or a third if packaged with another player or pick (4th and mitchell for a 3rd...?).. I'm willing to give Hodgson another chance. He was putting up good numbers a season or two ago. was really hoping the Sabres would hold onto Armia, he is super skilled and is  a RW. I hope the Sabres ditch Flynn, Mitchell, Beniot, Meszaros, Strachan and/or Weber Not sure if anyone else has much trade value though. 

I was rolling through your list of players to ditch and you had me until you got to Weber. I think he is playing like a capable defender this year and I love his grit. He doesn't take crap from anyone. If you place him on the 3rd line, I think you're fine. There is room for him and one of the young kids from Rochester.

[And as I reread your post, it sounds like you are saying either Strachan or Weber goes. I sign off on what you think, with emphasis on Strachan being the odd man out.]

How about PP units? They have lacked the talent to score on the PP the last few years, and that is certainly reflected in the Goals/Game and W/L record. I think there is finally talent to assemble a decent PP unit, but I cannot even fathom what it would be. It seems like Moulson would have the shot from the wing that you want. And Ennis has the slipperiness on the other wing that I love. But that leaves out Kane, and I think you need to have a big body in front of the goalie. And if Girgensons is your center, you didn't utilize Reinhart or McEichel. I think Ristolainen would be a good point man, but I don't know who else fits the mold. Maybe that's where you use a forward to get a little extra offense?

I'm to the point where I think Neuvirth is our goalie next year.

He's here, Murray likes him and I don't see a better option for him or the Sabres.

Give him a one-year fat deal, $4 million like Meszaros, or a three-year deal at a lower rate.

How about PP units? They have lacked the talent to score on the PP the last few years, and that is certainly reflected in the Goals/Game and W/L record. I think there is finally talent to assemble a decent PP unit, but I cannot even fathom what it would be. 

Kane hasn't been a good PP guy in his career, but should be tried as the shooter or the net guy.

Reinhart, Grigorenko and McEichel all have to get a look and will add skill.

Moulson has to be better as a garbage collector with better playmakers.

The point continues to be an issue. Bogosian has a good shot and was an offensive guy in junior.

He never really got much of a shot in the Peg behind Enstrom and Big Buff.

It will be interesting to see if he's got game.

He's here, Murray likes him and I don't see a better option for him or the Sabres.

Give him a one-year fat deal, $4 million like Meszaros, or a three-year deal at a lower rate.

Kane hasn't been a good PP guy in his career, but should be tried as the shooter or the net guy.

Reinhart, Grigorenko and McEichel all have to get a look and will add skill.

Moulson has to be better as a garbage collector with better playmakers.

The point continues to be an issue. Bogosian has a good shot and was an offensive guy in junior.

He never really got much of a shot in the Peg behind Enstrom and Big Buff.

It will be interesting to see if he's got game.

Interesting that Ennis is the odd man out. He was the MVP last year, as voted by the players, right? I have thought for years that he is the most talented puck possession guy on the team. If you watch him closely on the PP, with space, he makes things happen and has puck control. Much more so than Derek Roy used to have and I hated seeing Roy play Ennis's role. Perhaps the rookies will displace him. And if the team is so much better that Ennis is displaced, I think we made a big step forward. 

Interesting that Ennis is the odd man out. He was the MVP last year, as voted by the players, right? I have thought for years that he is the most talented puck possession guy on the team. If you watch him closely on the PP, with space, he makes things happen and has puck control. Much more so than Derek Roy used to have and I hated seeing Roy play Ennis's role. Perhaps the rookies will displace him. And if the team is so much better that Ennis is displaced, I think we made a big step forward. 

I didn't mean to leave Ennis out. He will definitely have a role for the reasons you state.

Risto and Zadorov will also get time and I hope they take a step up. They are the future.

I was mostly talking about new guys that could help a terrible unit.

I didn't mean to leave Ennis out. He will definitely have a role for the reasons you state.

Risto and Zadorov will also get time and I hope they take a step up. They are the future.

I was mostly talking about new guys that could help a terrible unit.

I hear ya... So that makes putting 5-best together difficult. With Ennis you have 6 wingers mentioned, although for half of them you said they should "get a look." I am really looking forward to this team stepping up as they gel and having a good PP is an area that I think would account for the biggest jump in the win column.

I have a hard time seeing GMTM relying on Neuvirth next year.  I think he wants the team to be much, much better next year, and he knows this can't happen without a real goalie.  Neuvirth hasn't shown anything since he's been here other than a propensity for injury.

I hear ya... So that makes putting 5-best together difficult. With Ennis you have 6 wingers mentioned, although for half of them you said they should "get a look." I am really looking forward to this team stepping up as they gel and having a good PP is an area that I think would account for the biggest jump in the win column.

Mike Green is out there as a big-ticket free agent.

Not a big fan, but he would help the power play.

I have a hard time seeing GMTM relying on Neuvirth next year.  I think he wants the team to be much, much better next year, and he knows this can't happen without a real goalie.  Neuvirth hasn't shown anything since he's been here other than a propensity for injury.

He's shown flashes and definitely has talent. But mostly, yeah.

The thing is, who are the other choices? Niemi might be better, but he's not the long-term answer and will be expensive.

The other guys out there are mostly just versions of Neuvirth.

Murray's really backed himself into a corner.

Moulson Girgensons Ennis

Kane Eichel Stewart (resigned)

Foligno Grigorenko Gionta

Deslauriers McCormick Kaleta

extras: Flynn, Larsson, (maybe Mitchell if resigned instead of one of the other two)

Gorges Bogosian

Zadorov Ristolainen

Weber Psysk

extra: Strachan (resigned) or someone similar

Goalies: I have no clue but definitely would happy with Niemi and resigning Enroth or Neuvirth

Changes: I think Hodgson gets bought out, Psysk makes the club as well as Grigorenko since he is no longer waiver exempt. I think McCabe get another year in the AHL and I think Reinhart also goes to Rochester for a stint unless he blows it up during his 9 game tryout. While Reinhart and McEichel get their 9 game tryout I think the forward lines will be adjusted slightly to something more like:

Moulson Girgensons Reinhart

Kane McEichel Ennis

Gionta Grigorenko Stewart

Deslauriers McCormick Foligno

Just a shot in the dark really, but then again that's the point of the thread.

Let me take a shot at this. I will add the caveat that I think there is no way that Reinhart and Eichel are not on this team next year. Yes, we will be young, but players of that caliber don't spend year(s) in the AHL/juniors.

Kane - Eichel - UFA RW (J Williams/Stewart)

Moulson - Reinhart - Ennis

Gionta - Grigorenko - Girgensens

Deslauriers - McCormick - Foligno

I realized that I have left off Hodgson, (who I am high on for next year in a bounce back to pre-2014 levels) so maybe instead of UFA RW, we plug Hodgson in the open RW slot. I put Grigo in the center spot and pushed Zemgus to wing because of Grigorenko's strong faceoff skills and I think he is a more natural centerman.

This team is still young, but has way more talent and seems to have competent #1 and #2 scoring lines. My concern may be that the #2 line is a little small/light, but they will get better matchups. If this becomes a concern, you can move up Girgensens or put J Williams/Stewart on that line instead. Plenty of options.

Bogosian - Gorges

Risto - Zadorov

Weber - Pysyk

Niemi/Neuvirth (other FA)

Bogosian and Gorges allows Risto and Zadorov to develop without the pressure of taking #1 minutes/matchups. Eventually years down the line, this role will flip and the kids will take over as the #1 pairing.

I think GMTM is going to address the goalie situation next year through FA/trade, as there is no chance he relies on a Neuvirth level goalie when he is trying to compete.

I really like the potential chemistry of Reinhart and Ennis.

Ennis plays a game that isn't much different than Max Domi's.

Add speed and edge from Kane who will hit, back check and finish and I really see the makings of an excellent line. 

I also think Moulson was signed to do with Eichel or McDavid what he did with Tavares.

Edited by dudacek

Oh what the hell, let's play fantasy hockey

O'Reilly   McEichel      Moulson

Ennis       Reinhart       Kane

Gionta     Girgensons  Foligno

Larsson/McCormick/Flynn/Deslauriers

Methot   Bogosian

Gorges   Ristolainen

Zadorov  Pysyk

Weber

Neuvirth/Some young guy stuck in some system

O'Reilly is here for Girgorenko, Hodgson, Islanders 1st and a conditional pick based on his resigning

Methot or some similar veteran Dman is our big free agent signing.

Other goalie comes in a relatively cheap trade.

Left handed shots everywhere!!! :p

I know we're going to be lefty heavy, but I do think we have to find a way to balance things out at least a little.

The team desperately needs a PP QB. Risto has some value there but he shouldn't be your top guy. Mike green or someone of that ilk is required.

We have enough bangers with Zadarov, Risto, Weber, and Bogo. Time for some high end puck movers.

I'm in favor of a Sekera return. Probably not the greatest PP QB, but can definitely move the puck and help produce some offense at even strength.

Left handed shots everywhere!!! :P

I know we're going to be lefty heavy, but I do think we have to find a way to balance things out at least a little.

I'm in favor of a Sekera return. Probably not the greatest PP QB, but can definitely move the puck and help produce some offense at even strength.

I was thinking the same thing after Inks's response. I don't know how much more active Murray will be. I could see a winger to replace Stewart, if he in fact moves Stewart.

If you could give up a second/third and Nuevirth in the summer for a GOOD established goaltender  who puts up better numbers I say do it (Sabres third would be close to a 2nd, 2nd would be close to a 1st for added value)

if that's not enough for a top - notch goalie throw in a late first instead

btw I mentioned replace Weber because I wasn't sure if the Sabres had room for him or not, but now that I think of it he's been decent all year and is a mean defenceman with a strong crease presence that any team needs. I remember wanting him to wear an A, but if I recall correctly,  he did not have the best of seasons last year 
(who would?)

Edited by BuffaloBorn

I was thinking the same thing after Inks's response. I don't know how much more active Murray will be. I could see a winger to replace Stewart, if he in fact moves Stewart.

Stewart is gone simply because he is a UFA this year. GMTM has openly stated that all UFA's should be moved for picks in order to maximize asset return. IMO they have just as much of a chance in re-signing a UFA in the offseason if they trade him away as they do letting his contract run out.

Heck, our UFA's specifically might be grateful that GMTM sent them for a chance at playoff hockey and away from the dumpster fire that is this season.

If you could give up a second/third and Nuevirth in the summer for a GOOD established goaltender  who puts up better numbers I say do it (Sabres third would be close to a 2nd, 2nd would be close to a 1st for added value)

btw I mentioned replace Weber because I wasn't sure if the Sabres had room for him or not, but now that I think of it he's been decent all year and is a mean defenceman with a strong crease presence that any team needs. I remember wanting him to wear an A, but if I recall correctly,  he did not have the best of seasons last year 

(who would?)

Neuvirth is a UFA. You can't trade him in the offseason because you lose his rights once the season ends. It would be near impossible to re-sign him and then trade him for value a few weeks later. Move like that from a front office get us blackballed by NHL players/agents.

Stewart is gone simply because he is a UFA this year. GMTM has openly stated that all UFA's should be moved for picks in order to maximize asset return. IMO they have just as much of a chance in re-signing a UFA in the offseason if they trade him away as they do letting his contract run out.

Heck, our UFA's specifically might be grateful that GMTM sent them for a chance at playoff hockey and away from the dumpster fire that is this season.

Good point, and the fact that he has clashed with Nolan, I wouldn't necessarily see him coming back in the offseason unless there is a coaching change. I wasn't sold on Stewart early in the year, but I have warmed to his play over the past couple months.

Good point, and the fact that he has clashed with Nolan, I wouldn't necessarily see him coming back in the offseason unless there is a coaching change. I wasn't sold on Stewart early in the year, but I have warmed to his play over the past couple months.

To further this, if anyone is pencilling in Stewart on the roster next year, you may as well say UFA RW instead. There is just as much chance of us signing Justin Williams or Jaromir Jagr as Chris Stewart. They are all UFA RW. It's a matter of which groceries GMTM wants.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.