GDT: Nassau at Buffalo, February 8, 2015, 5pm.

Eleven

Ennis has really broken out this year. I've mentioned it before but it seems to have clicked for him what style of play he needs to use to succeed. He just bounces around out there like a bouncy ball.

I don't think Ennis ever forgot what he did to get to the NHL, I think it's more the previous coaching staffs tried to adjust him to a "system". Their systems made players like Ennis "think" to much, be in certain spots on the ice, defense first type mentality. Which keeps below average teams in games and a better change at winning, which is what a coach is paid to do, give their team the best chance to win. Nolan doesn't have that restraint, he's not expected to win, so he just lets players play.  Perfect for players and GM's especially this time of year, you want a chance to be traded to a playoff team, just play your game the best you can and see what happens.

It's been called a "system", but I think it's more a mentality, defense first.

or

It's simply, five men up the ice on the rush, five men back down the ice in their respective lanes.

Either scenario is not good for skating playmakers, the Ennis type.  Probably why Ruff has/had the tag of offensive talent killer. The players he was given dictated the system.  Rolstan (even worse than remembering names is my spelling) in my opinion was even more system first type of coach, the players hated it and gave up.

What is most surprising to me is that Hodson has not shown something, anything, of what got him to the NHL. It's obvious why he is a healthy scratch, the coach just wants you to skate and make plays, do what you do and do it good. And he ain't done squat...

I don't think anyone was trying to ruin Ennis. He simply needed to grow in the NHL enough that he could play his style of hockey. The way he is playing now is the way he played with kids. It's what got him noticed. He's just finally grown into the style physically that he doesn't get hurt or bounced off the puck as easily. He's also noticeably faster which let's him make space.

The credit goes to Ennis for working his tail off.

NS you are kind, but please no slack, my schedule only allows a few months a year to enjoy this type of communication for a sport we are all passionate  about.  I may old in years and young with computers,  but  I neither ask nor expect  quarter for posting my views, a passionate truthful answer is always the greatest response. If you can fill it with sarcasm, a few digs, and a little comedy and I will bow to your greatness!!

d4rksabre...I totally agree, it's all Ennis, he has earned everything this year almost on his own on the worst team in the league. I just think it's more than a coincidence that Nolan is coach when he finds his breakout season.

Oh yay, the Lindy Ruff kills offense meme has returned. Plenty of forwards had their best offensive years under him. Seguin is flourishing beyond anything he did in Boston. Activating defenseman and pushing them to rush the puck up ice are not defense-oriented and offense-stifling tactics. Lindy Ruff may at one time have been a defensive coach, but he isn't anymore and hasn't been for quite some time.

Oh, and Tyler Ennis isn't having a breakout season in any sense of the word.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

NS you are kind, but please no slack, my schedule only allows a few months a year to enjoy this type of communication for a sport we are all passionate about. I may old in years and young with computers, but I neither ask nor expect quarter for posting my views, a passionate truthful answer is always the greatest response. If you can fill it with sarcasm, a few digs, and a little comedy and I will bow to your greatness!!

d4rksabre...I totally agree, it's all Ennis, he has earned everything this year almost on his own on the worst team in the league. I just think it's more than a coincidence that Nolan is coach when he finds his breakout season.

I don't think it has anything to do with Nolan.

Ennis has really broken out this year. I've mentioned it before but it seems to have clicked for him what style of play he needs to use to succeed. He just bounces around out there like a bouncy ball.

He's buying that extra second for himself this year, it's awesome.  I love me some Ennis and am flabbergasted when people want to trade him for Kane. 

Darn, that notorious *Lindy Ruff system*.

Did it ever really exist?  Can anyone define / describe it?

It seems that it almost ruined Ennis too.

Ennis was almost ruined by Ruff. Nonsense. He scored 20 goals in his first full NHL season.

Rob's Christmas story says otherwise!

But, yeah, Ted can't get credit for anything.

Ted personally, or just any Head Coach can't take credit for a player having a better year than his previous few.?

He's buying that extra second for himself this year, it's awesome.  I love me some Ennis and am flabbergasted when people want to trade him for Kane. 

Ennis was almost ruined by Ruff. Nonsense. He scored 20 goals in his first full NHL season.

I think it's sarcasm, he was being nice to me, I didn't see need to push him further. I think I unwittingly drug out a dead horse.

Ted personally, or just any Head Coach can't take credit for a player having a better year than his previous few.?

I think it's sarcasm, he was being nice to me, I didn't see need to push him further. I think I unwittingly drug out a dead horse.

Watch out for NS, Woods-Racer.  He's a dangerous, hot-headed, angry old man.

And he hates the Clash.

Watch out for NS, Woods-Racer.  He's a dangerous, hot-headed, angry old man.

And he hates the Clash.

I'm not believing he hates the Clash, you can't hate the Clash and be dangerous, hot headed , old, and from Nova Scotia. The winters are to long for that to be true. Edited by Woods-Racer

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.