Matt Hackett must play or he becomes UFA

Hoss

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-cory-sarich-wants-one-more-shot-at-nhl/

16. It’s common knowledge Buffalo has two UFA goalies-to-be — Jhonas Enroth and Michal Neuvirth — but there is a the possibility of a third. Matt Hackett, who had reconstructive knee surgery last May, needs eight performances of at least 30 minutes or he will be a Group VI free agent, allowed to sign anywhere.

He’s played 21 NHL games, three of which don’t count, because they were under the 30-minute threshold. Hackett will be 25 in March, and as a five-year pro of that age and an expiring contract, the Sabres must get him to 26 official appearances to change his status to restricted. He is practising now.

I know many don't like Hackett and won't care, but I think this makes a goalie deal more likely sooner rather than later.

I'm guessing this won't be the reason a goalie gets dealt

I'm sure it'll factor in. Murray has already said he is open to dealing Enroth/Neuvirth. Why waste an asset? Hackett isnt looking too promising but he's still young by goalie standards and has potential. He isn't going to force a move because of this, but it'll certainly create a slight increase in urgency.

I never said it'll make the trade happen. It's one of many factors pointing to a trade.

Edited by Tank

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-cory-sarich-wants-one-more-shot-at-nhl/

16. It’s common knowledge Buffalo has two UFA goalies-to-be — Jhonas Enroth and Michal Neuvirth — but there is a the possibility of a third. Matt Hackett, who had reconstructive knee surgery last May, needs eight performances of at least 30 minutes or he will be a Group VI free agent, allowed to sign anywhere.

He’s played 21 NHL games, three of which don’t count, because they were under the 30-minute threshold. Hackett will be 25 in March, and as a five-year pro of that age and an expiring contract, the Sabres must get him to 26 official appearances to change his status to restricted. He is practising now.

I know many don't like Hackett and won't care, but I think this makes a goalie deal more likely sooner rather than later.

What a strange rule... has that ever come into play before? Never heard of it (but I'm no CBA buff).

Yes. They changed it to 30 minutes this CBA. There was at least one instance(NJ) were a team played a goalie just a few minutes so as to stop them from becoming a FA

Now I want to see the opposite where a goalie fakes an injury in the last minute of the first period of the last game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.