So how much of this is on Ted Nolan?

dudacek

I have been beating this drum for a while, and I don't want to press it too far, but Teddy has only proven to be a winner with other-worldly goaltending.

He's getting that now. My suspicion is that Jhonas is not the second coming of the Dominator, so I am skeptical of it's sustainability. When the SV% drops back down to .905-.910, I expect more losses than wins.

I have been beating this drum for a while, and I don't want to press it too far, but Teddy has only proven to be a winner with other-worldly goaltending.

He's getting that now. My suspicion is that Jhonas is not the second coming of the Dominator, so I am skeptical of it's sustainability. When the SV% drops back down to .905-.910, I expect more losses than wins.

Give credit to Ted though for bringing in Arturs Irbe to help coach his goalies. We know that was his secret at the Olympics, so it's no surprise he's getting better goaltending here as well.

If Ted does as most suspect and teaches the kids the benefits of hard work and the belief that good things will come from it then he's done his job. If he instills that attitude in the guys that will be the leaders of the team or core going forward I'm good with that. They can pass it on to the newer guys and it becomes a part of the character and tradition of the club. We're golden.

Give credit to Ted though for bringing in Arturs Irbe to help coach his goalies. We know that was his secret at the Olympics, so it's no surprise he's getting better goaltending here as well.

Well, the guy they had before kept rating them so poorly it had to be tough on morale.

If Ted does as most suspect and teaches the kids the benefits of hard work and the belief that good things will come from it then he's done his job. If he instills that attitude in the guys that will be the leaders of the team or core going forward I'm good with that. They can pass it on to the newer guys and it becomes a part of the character and tradition of the club. We're golden.

Far as I am concerned, this is the single biggest reason why Ted is the coach.

Edited by dudacek

This sounds good and all but it doesn't work that way. The idea that these traits will just pass down even after he's gone is hogwash or extremely hopeful at best. If Ted instills the hard work someone else must keep it going or it ends when he leaves. We used to hear the same thing about Drury and all his leadership but it didn't amount to much the second he skipped town. All the leftover players who got to blossom and learn under his wing couldn't stop the team from turning to dog ###### without him and Briere there.

It's like the mythological winning momentum that supposedly carries over months of off season from the end of one season to the beginning of a new one 5 months later.

Edited by Drunkard

This sounds good and all but it doesn't work that way. The idea that these traits will just pass down even after he's gone is hogwash or extremely hopeful at best. If Ted instills the hard work someone else must keep it going or it ends when he leaves. We used to hear the same thing about Drury and all his leadership but it didn't amount to much the second he skipped town. All the leftover players who got to blossom and learn under his wing couldn't stop the team from turning to dog ###### without him and Briere there.

It's like the mythological winning momentum that supposedly carries over months of off season from the end of one season to the beginning of a new one 5 months later.

I suppose you continue to draft and develop players with those traits then. As well as hire coaches like Ted who continue to motivate and teach work/reward hockey. There's nothing worse than seeing a pro athlete go through the motions.

What do I attribute the winning streak to:

Simply this: Teams start to play their best hockey (at every level) when they know the internal pecking order.....

Teams need to know, Who is first line, second, third.....what are the pairings, who is accountable for what. What is my role in this hockey universe.

Finally this team has some semblance of that. They have NHL talent, but finally teams need to take them seriously because they are playing together and understand their teammates roles.

Tyler Myers can come to work knowing he's the top guy. It makes a difference.

Strachen comes to work knowing he's the last stop KISS guy.

It helps a roster.

What do I attribute the winning streak to:

Simply this: Teams start to play their best hockey (at every level) when they know the internal pecking order.....

Teams need to know, Who is first line, second, third.....what are the pairings, who is accountable for what. What is my role in this hockey universe.

Finally this team has some semblance of that. They have NHL talent, but finally teams need to take them seriously because they are playing together and understand their teammates roles.

Tyler Myers can come to work knowing he's the top guy. It makes a difference.

Strachen comes to work knowing he's the last stop KISS guy.

It helps a roster.

This explains Hodgsons point total this year. Coach Nolan told him his role.

Ted said " Cody you on board ? "

Hodgson heard " Cody you're Stafford . "

He's found his groove.

• 2 weeks later...

This explains Hodgsons point total this year. Coach Nolan told him his role.

Ted said " Cody you on board ? "

Hodgson heard " Cody you're Stafford . "

He's found his groove.

From 12/18 post practice: "I've just got to play hockey," Hodgson said. "That's all I've done my whole life is just go play, and whatever happens, happens. I've got to do the best I can on the ice, and the rest of the stuff will take care of itself".

Holy robo-speak. You could translate that into "this sucks, but if I play better and put up some points I can get the hell out of here". Or you could translate it into empty suit. Either way, no bueno.

• 2 weeks later...

fwiw....if the Sabres do nothing in the standings, even 21st overall, and Ted Nolan leaves this team with a soul. I'm okay with that.

I'm surprised I'm thinking it. But I am.

I may not have the discipline it takes for the complete tank.

I am weak.

<ducks for cover>

Edited by X. Benedict

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.