Vintage Rick

PASabreFan

I laugh when I read that those old audio cassettes are so fragile. I have a shoebox full of audio cassettes of Rick from the early 1980s; they're as indestructible as he is. I know there are services that convert the tapes to digital, but today I thought of an easier way to get clips on here: record them on my little dumb phone, text them to my nephew's smart phone, have him email me the file back, and convert the file to MP3 on a web site. Why didn't I ever think of this?

So, in appreciation of Rick and in honor of his return, I want to post some vintage Rick. In this first one, it's 1982 at the Aud, and Wayne Gretzky wants to break the NHL record for most goals in a season. Don Edwards keeps saying, "not so fast." And, not for nothing, Gilbert Perreault has a hat trick — before Gretzky has one of his own, in the third period alone, to "smash the record."

A11-14-14_15.33.mp3

I laugh when I read that those old audio cassettes are so fragile. I have a shoebox full of audio cassettes of Rick from the early 1980s; they're as indestructible as he is. I know there are services that convert the tapes to digital, but today I thought of an easier way to get clips on here: record them on my little dumb phone, text them to my nephew's smart phone, have him email me the file back, and convert the file to MP3 on a web site. Why didn't I ever think of this?

So, in appreciation of Rick and in honor of his return, I want to post some vintage Rick. In this first one, it's 1982 at the Aud, and Wayne Gretzky wants to break the NHL record for most goals in a season. Don Edwards keeps saying, "not so fast." And, not for nothing, Gilbert Perreault has a hat trick — before Gretzky has one of his own, in the third period alone, to "smash the record."

Interesting game to choose. I was at that 1in the 2nd highest row in the old barn.

Thanks for posting this.

I listened to that game from the cab of a Chevy Suburban heading into the southern tier for a winter camping trip. Cheering on Gilbert and booing Gretzky after every goal.

Great topic, PA - thanks for starting it!

I appreciate any opportunity to post this video. Game 6. 7th 20 minute period. Hasek on the way towards a 70 save shutout vs Brodeur.

That's a great one right there! RJ at the top of HIS game too.

I see your Hannan and raise you May Day ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0xxSsEqjIk

And imagine when we're NOT tanking any more. :)

That was an unforgettable game for me.

Good stuff.

The Gretzky single-season-goal-record game is a memorable one for me as well.

I later saw that Oilers team when it came through town (the following season, IIRC, but maybe within the same calendar year). Man, were they something to see. When we played them again in the 82-83 season, we won -- the home team got up by a bunch on the strength of several power play goals, and then Gretzky & Co. awoke and made a game of it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.