Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

Really? What did he say? I'd be shocked of they decided to tank again

Basically said that the organization is doing a thorough investigation into what is holding them back as a team. He put more blame on the players than coaches, said that he does not intend to trade any of the core players, but he wants to bring in more talent to help them be competitive.

I'm hoping Murray is planning on competing for the top spot. I think the biggest concern is how far some other teams may be willing to go into the tank going forward. Edmonton, Arizona, etc. could have firesales and leave the Sabres out of the top two. While not absolutely crippling to the rebuild not winning the tank could possibly make the rebuild much more difficult and longer.

MacT told the media that he didn't believe it was a mistake going into the NHL season with only 2 NHL centers.

Is that not straight up admission of a tank?

It's the Oilers. I think interpreting that as admitting to intentional tanking is giving them far too much credit because it means they know what they're doing. The Oilers are the best example we have today of an organization which is just completely incompetent.

What I think the Oilers presser was REALLY about was sending a message to the team's calling trying to get big-time bargains on their top players. I do believe every single player on the team is "on the table." But MacTavish needed to send signals that they're not available to help drive up the price on those calls.

What I think the Oilers presser was REALLY about was sending a message to the team's calling trying to get big-time bargains on their top players. I do believe every single player on the team is "on the table." But MacTavish needed to send signals that they're not available to help drive up the price on those calls.

Other GM'S are smarter than you and I. They don't need to call a presser to get that point out. Other GM'S know how the game is played.

This was simply their version of "prepare to suffer". Except theirs was "prepare to suffer LONGER". Consider the Oilers all in on McEichle.

Other GM'S are smarter than you and I. They don't need to call a presser to get that point out. Other GM'S know how the game is played.

This was simply their version of "prepare to suffer". Except theirs was "prepare to suffer LONGER". Consider the Oilers all in on McEichle.

I still think the Sabres are worse than the Oilers. The Oilers are not playing that bad, I would argue the Sabres are playing worse. EDM's Corsi (50.6%) ranks 18th, Buffalo is deal last (37.1%)..... 7 percentage points worse than the next worst team (CAL). 5 on 5, the OIlers are standing toe to toe with their opponents. Their problem right now is goaltending.... Scrivens with his 0.888 sv% is killing them. His career sv% is 0.911 (0.916 last season). Once he gets back on track, the Oilers will start winning games and I expect them to quickly drop down the CHL standings when that happens.

Buffalo, on the other hand, has been winning due to a hot goaltender... as in white hot. Once Enroth comes back down to earth, the Sabres will start aggressively climbing the CHL standings. During any other NHL season I would expect them to have the Shart wrapped up by mid-Feb, but this is not a typical NHL season. The CHL crown will come down to the wire...... BUF plays both CAR and CBJ during the last week of the season. EDM has a 6 game homestand to finish out the month of March against the likes of CBJ, PHI, and COL... with 3 of their last 4 on home ice to close out the season.

I still think the Sabres are worse than the Oilers. The Oilers are not playing that bad, I would argue the Sabres are playing worse. EDM's Corsi (50.6%) ranks 18th, Buffalo is deal last (37.1%)..... 7 percentage points worse than the next worst team (CAL). 5 on 5, the OIlers are standing toe to toe with their opponents. Their problem right now is goaltending.... Scrivens with his 0.888 sv% is killing them. His career sv% is 0.911 (0.916 last season). Once he gets back on track, the Oilers will start winning games and I expect them to quickly drop down the CHL standings when that happens.

Buffalo, on the other hand, has been winning due to a hot goaltender... as in white hot. Once Enroth comes back down to earth, the Sabres will start aggressively climbing the CHL standings. During any other NHL season I would expect them to have the Shart wrapped up by mid-Feb, but this is not a typical NHL season. The CHL crown will come down to the wire...... BUF plays both CAR and CBJ during the last week of the season. EDM has a 6 game homestand to finish out the month of March against the likes of CBJ, PHI, and COL... with 3 of their last 4 on home ice to close out the season.

Edmonton is, however, in the tougher conference.

Good post. All valid points.

I think you underestimate the incompetence of MacTavish and the length GMs go to ramp up prices on their guys.

Basically said that the organization is doing a thorough investigation into what is holding them back as a team. He put more blame on the players than coaches, said that he does not intend to trade any of the core players, but he wants to bring in more talent to help them be competitive.

Thanks. Sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. They need vets like Ott and young players like Girgs to bring some intensity to that team.

They have no choice.

To me they can go one of two ways:

-->Trade away their core, and tank.

--> keep their core, and try to bring in vets to help them win now.

Tanking isn't their only option, and it may not be a viable one with a fan base that hasn't seen ###### happen in the last 8 years.

I think at least 10 people here could do better than the Oilers gms have done in the last 8 years.

To me they can go one of two ways:

-->Trade away their core, and tank.

--> keep their core, and try to bring in vets to help them win now.

Tanking isn't their only option, and it may not be a viable one with a fan base that hasn't seen ###### happen in the last 8 years.

1. It's one more season. If fans aren't off the ship now they won't be getting off.

2. The fans know about McEichel.

3. There is no veteran help they can acquire that would make a substantial difference right now. Especially if they're not willing to move the corps.

1. It's one more season. If fans aren't off the ship now they won't be getting off.

2. The fans know about McEichel.

3. There is no veteran help they can acquire that would make a substantial difference right now. Especially if they're not willing to move the corps.

It's not one more season, it's one more on top of the previous 8. And that's just tanking. No way are they a playoff team even with McDavid in the west for at least 2 more seasons.

It's not one more season, it's one more on top of the previous 8. And that's just tanking. No way are they a playoff team even with McDavid in the west for at least 2 more seasons.

They're more likely to make the playoffs next year if they add McDavid than they are this year if they pickup a couple average vets.

They're best route is to tank. Make a couple deals that don't move the needle but maybe fill bigger needs. Pickup McEichel and then make some deals to acquire vets this offseason...

I know you want them to try and improve. I do too. But tanking isn't just our best plan.

Current standings through games played 12/4.

Team ----- GP - L - W - OT - PTS

Edmonton 26 15 6 5 35

Columbus 25 15 8 2 32

Buffalo 26 15 9 2 32

Carolina 25 14 8 3 31

Arizona 27 14 10 3 31

Colorado 25 11 9 6 28

Winnipeg 26 9 13 4 22

Florida 24 7 10 7 21

Only 1 game scheduled tonight. 1-1/2 bagger - Cowawado at Jests.

Current standings through games played 12/4.

Team ----- GP - L - W - OT - PTS

Edmonton 26 15 6 5 35

Columbus 25 15 8 2 32

Buffalo 26 15 9 2 32

Carolina 25 14 8 3 31

Arizona 27 14 10 3 31

Colorado 25 11 9 6 28

Winnipeg 26 9 13 4 22

Florida 24 7 10 7 21

Only 1 game scheduled tonight. 1-1/2 bagger - Cowawado at Jests.

Better add Philly

They're more likely to make the playoffs next year if they add McDavid than they are this year if they pickup a couple average vets.

They're best route is to tank. Make a couple deals that don't move the needle but maybe fill bigger needs. Pickup McEichel and then make some deals to acquire vets this offseason...

I know you want them to try and improve. I do too. But tanking isn't just our best plan.

Their problem isn't a lack of talent, it's that it's all the same kind of it. They have no grit, character, and they've all been taught how to lose. If they're gonna tank, the only way for them to do is is ship off at least one of their top 3 ones, who will fetch great returns, get a new coach, and send Leon back to juniors immediately. That's probably the way to go, I agree with you in that, but Mac says none of his core is going. Keeping his core and tanking isn't a feasible option IMO. McEichel may be a generational talent, but he's still prone to all of te rookie pit falls anchored into the cancer that is the Oilers locker room.

Their problem isn't a lack of talent, it's that it's all the same kind of it. They have no grit, character, and they've all been taught how to lose. If they're gonna tank, the only way for them to do is is ship off at least one of their top 3 ones, who will fetch great returns, get a new coach, and send Leon back to juniors immediately. That's probably the way to go, I agree with you in that, but Mac says none of his core is going. Keeping his core and tanking isn't a feasible option IMO. McEichel may be a generational talent, but he's still prone to all of te rookie pit falls anchored into the cancer that is the Oilers locker room.

I think standing pat would be a fine tank... They have a chokehold on last place as is.

I think standing pat would be a fine tank... They have a chokehold on last place as is.

Regardless of their intentions to tank or not, trading away Yakupov, eberle, RNH, and/or Hall is a necessity for Edmonton. One, if not two of those need to be moved.