Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

Is there any chance that Edmonton takes Hanifin at 1 if they win the CHL? Or trade down to take him and accelerate their rebuild tenfold with all of the assets they'd acquire from it? I think you have to take that into serious consideration if you're Mac T

Is there any chance that Edmonton takes Hanifin at 1 if they win the CHL? Or trade down to take him and accelerate their rebuild tenfold with all of the assets they'd acquire from it? I think you have to take that into serious consideration if you're Mac T

No. There isn't any chance in this universe that a team takes anybody other McEichel in the top two barring catastrophic injury. Edmonton has a decent number of defensive prospects. Adding either McDavid or Eichel will get them going.

Edited by Tank

No. There isn't any chance in this universe that a team takes anybody other McEichel.

Definitely unlikely, but why not consider it. From what's posted above, you can get one hell of a package by merely moving down one spot; you can almost build an entire team off of the package you would get for a top 2 pick. If Edmonton is so intent on keeping their "core," then this trade makes sense. McEichel is generational, but from the sounds of it Hanifin is too, and they clearly need defensive help.

Question is, is there a team crazy enough to make that trade? If it took, what? did someone post earlier? Zadorov/Riso, our top 5 pick, another 1st, Girgs, and maybe more, would we?

I don't think we would, nor do I think we SHOULD. I think a place like Phoenix might make that move with new ownership wanting something to sell.

EDM is in such a sorry state that one player, be it McDavid or Eichel, is not going to turn it around. They have been drafting top-6 forwards 1st overall forever and look where that has gotten them. Who would have thought all of the 1sts would have been duds? That team doesn't even need a makeover, it needs a complete facelift, from the top down. Trading the 1st/2nd overall for a complete haul of promising players, then taking Hanifin would likely do the job. Just take a look at the Lindros trade.

The Sabres have the assets to pull it off, but I wouldn't even want them giving up so much to get McEichel.

Edited by kas23

All of their first round picks have not been duds. Yakupov is the only dud. They all just play the same game, and Hall is the only one who appears able to do it an elite level. Both Eichel and McDavid play a game-changing elite level of hockey. They will change any franchise that takes them.

I know we want to suddenly convince ourselves that we can get into the top two via trade, but it's still not happening.

No. There isn't any chance in this universe that a team takes anybody other McEichel in the top two barring catastrophic injury. Edmonton has a decent number of defensive prospects. Adding either McDavid or Eichel will get them going.

Never say never. You could argue McDavid and Eichel are in the same class as Lindros and he was traded. Granted, he forced the move but it still happened.

Let's try and recreate that trade with the current Sabres :

Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Philadelphia's 1993 1st-round draft choice (Jocelyn Thibault), Philadelphia's 1994 1st-round draft choice (Nolan Baumgartner)

Peter Forsberg = zemgus Girgensons (he may end up being closer to Mike ricci but I'm basing it on potential

steve Duchesne = tyler Myers (Duchesne was a prolific multi 20 goal scoring D man, Myers is our only compare)

mike Ricci = tyler Ennis (ricci has no peer on the Sabres or maybe in today's nhl, a checking line forward that can score 30 goals, I just has to use a forward of equal value)

Kerry Huffman - mark Pysyk (different styles but a comparable in value)

chris Simon - nick delauries (simon was better offensively and pugilistically but nicks the closest we got)

Ron Hextall - Andrey Makarov (other goalies are ufas)

Plus two first round picks

So Girgs, Myers, Ennis, Delauries, Pysyk, Makarov plus two firsts

Ugh! Thankfully we won't have to worry about it.

We'd have to do all that and add if we're comparing the deals, because, as Ink pointed out, many of those guys are our best comparison to those players but not quite at their level.

If I'm Edmonton and Buffalo has the 3rd overall pick, I'm doing that deal. They can plug in three top four D (Hannifan, Myers, pysyk) two top 6 forwards (Ennis & girgs), and a goalie of the future. They may insist on Enroth as well to cover the rest of this year.

Let's try and recreate that trade with the current Sabres :

Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Philadelphia's 1993 1st-round draft choice (Jocelyn Thibault), Philadelphia's 1994 1st-round draft choice (Nolan Baumgartner)

Peter Forsberg = zemgus Girgensons (he may end up being closer to Mike ricci but I'm basing it on potential

steve Duchesne = tyler Myers (Duchesne was a prolific multi 20 goal scoring D man, Myers is our only compare)

mike Ricci = tyler Ennis (ricci has no peer on the Sabres or maybe in today's nhl, a checking line forward that can score 30 goals, I just has to use a forward of equal value)

Kerry Huffman - mark Pysyk (different styles but a comparable in value)

chris Simon - nick delauries (simon was better offensively and pugilistically but nicks the closest we got)

Ron Hextall - Andrey Makarov (other goalies are ufas)

Plus two first round picks

So Girgs, Myers, Ennis, Delauries, Pysyk, Makarov plus two firsts

Ugh! Thankfully we won't have to worry about it.

And oddly enough, tbe Nords won a couple of cups.

And oddly enough, tbe Nords won a couple of cups.

The Lindros trade definitely laid the foundation for those Av cup teams. If I'm the Oil and someone comes to me with a package like that I jump. It's franchise watershed moment. They could immediately turn into contenders. They'd have to move a couple other pieces but if I'm them, I shop the pick and see if a Lindros type deal lands on my desk. Easiest way to build a contender.

If I'm Edmonton and Buffalo has the 3rd overall pick, I'm doing that deal. They can plug in three top four D (Hannifan, Myers, pysyk) two top 6 forwards (Ennis & girgs), and a goalie of the future. They may insist on Enroth as well to cover the rest of this year.

Still debatable that Pysyk is a top 4 dman. Would be a big jump to rely on him there. Girgs is starting to look like a top six player, but will he be able to do so on a good team? There is a difference. I don't think Makarov has much value. He still seems like a large unknown.

You've got to pay a lot to get a teenage superstar.

Edited by Tank