GDT: Carolina at Buffalo 7PM Sept 23 Preseason WGR 550 No TV

Brawndo

The only thing is, the optimal situation in my mind would be onre more year in Junior and then one year with the Amerks....but NHL rules say he won't be eligible for a full year in the AHL until 2 more full years in Junior, correct?

My understanding is that CHL players cannot play in the AHL unless they turn 20 before December 31 of that season. Reinhart is a relatively old draft pick(November born) and turns 19 in about 6 weeks, thus this will be his last season he must go to the CHL if he doesn't make the Sabres.

Regarding Staal, he had x-rays at FNC but the team won't learn the results until they're on the road. He was on crutches after the game but no boot, brace, or air cast. Hopefully that's a good sign for him.

I don't like to see injuries in preseason, hopefully he'll be ready to go for the season.

EDIT---> Looks like he ended up with a cast after all:

0773fee28970344f7262cb9976ff8ca6_bigger.pngJohn Shannon@JSportsnet 3m

Jordan Staal leaves First Niagara Center on crutches...sporting a cast on his lower leg... it's not a knee injury. Ankle,foot or tendon

P.S. They knew right away, maybe not officially, but the x-ray tech and the oncall doc probably could see anything serious. the Radiologist probably had it read within 1/2 hour. P.S. I am an x-ray tech. You know pretty quickly if there is a serious break and any doc can do an initial diagnosis.

I'm not predicting the same heights, but I think a good comparison for where Reinhart is at the moment is where Jonathan Toews was when he was drafted.

Similar draft spots, similar rebuilding franchises, similar expectations, similar builds, similar skill sets - not enormously, fast, strong or slick, but elite in terms of their ability to read the game. Each generated a pre-draft reputation as a calm, poised leader who plays well in big games.

Can Sam put on another 15 pounds of muscle like Toews did? Will he show his smarts and leadership skills can transfer to the pros like Toews did?

I guess that's why they play the games.

For the record, Toews played another year in college before turning pro and scoring 54 points as a rookie.

Remember that Sam Reinhart will take time. He isn't going to come in and light anything up. I would play him every preseason game and his 9 NHL games before deciding. Sam is going to be one of those players where one week he will struggle and then the next week it just clicks into place and the game slows down for him again. When that happens is anyone's guess.

The last part goes against everything that's been said about him by people who know better than us. He's consistent.

Toews (sic? DON'T CARE) is Reinhart's out of the park home run ceiling.

Yep, although it wouldn't surprise me if Sam puts up more points and it would surprise me if he becomes as good a leader of men.

I think most draft observers would agree Toews has turned out even better than they expected.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.