Traverse City Tournament: Sept. 12 - Sept. 16

nfreeman

Had to do a ton of reading to catch up on this thing. So, it seems that the real reason we failed at Traverse was our special teams. My original idea that our forwards couldn't score still holds but from what it sounds like, it could have just been bad luck. We generated a lot of chances but scored at a statistically low outlier. As for defense they were kind of up and down depending on the game. They got outplayed against Dallas no doubt but yesterday they played very well against ST Louis and just got questionable GT and no goal support.

Back to special teams. Our PK was terrible. We allowed (correct me if I have the #'s wrong) 9ppg going into the game yesterday of the 18 goals scored against us. You can't allow teams to generate 50% of their scoring on the PP, we simply were not good enough. Some of that is chemistry and not knowing the system. I will wait patiently (but it's getting old) for the kids to grow and learn our system. The good news is by all accounts, Rasmus Ristolainen was the best defender we had.

Cassidy said outright at the beginning of the tournament that he was going to play guys in all situations, so he had no PK units set up or anything. That undoubtedly lead to our dismal PK performance. But you can't coddle them. The tournament doesn't mean anything so there's no reason not to send non-PK guys out there to get a taste.

Had to do a ton of reading to catch up on this thing. So, it seems that the real reason we failed at Traverse was our special teams. My original idea that our forwards couldn't score still holds but from what it sounds like, it could have just been bad luck. We generated a lot of chances but scored at a statistically low outlier. As for defense they were kind of up and down depending on the game. They got outplayed against Dallas no doubt but yesterday they played very well against ST Louis and just got questionable GT and no goal support.

Back to special teams. Our PK was terrible. We allowed (correct me if I have the #'s wrong) 9ppg going into the game yesterday of the 18 goals scored against us. You can't allow teams to generate 50% of their scoring on the PP, we simply were not good enough. Some of that is chemistry and not knowing the system. I will wait patiently (but it's getting old) for the kids to grow and learn our system. The good news is by all accounts, Rasmus Ristolainen was the best defender we had.

Cassidy said outright at the beginning of the tournament that he was going to play guys in all situations, so he had no PK units set up or anything. That undoubtedly lead to our dismal PK performance. But you can't coddle them. The tournament doesn't mean anything so there's no reason not to send non-PK guys out there to get a taste.

Thanks, I thought I read this up-thread somewhere. If that 50% PK stat is correct and Cassidy put everyone and anyone on PK, that explains a lot. Anyone know if there were set PP units or was that a Musketeer affair as well?

There seemed to be a pretty distinctive change in how we handled that tournament this year. I think last year and the year before the tourney was used to inspire hope in the huddled masses, showcasing the talent we have. This year it seems to me was used as a scouting opportunity for the team. And the results show it.

There seemed to be a pretty distinctive change in how we handled that tournament this year. I think last year and the year before the tourney was used to inspire hope in the huddled masses, showcasing the talent we have. This year it seems to me was used as a scouting opportunity for the team. And the results show it.

Yup. I really think he was treating it like a pickup tourney. Just send everyone out and see what happens.

So much for the benching of Zadorev. He showed up on the stat sheet vs. St Louis on the Amerks site.

http://www.pointstre...?gameid=2494651

I wonder if Cassidy was overruled by TM on benching Z ?

Cassidy said that Zadarov would be back in the next game right after the game he was benched.

Part of me wanted to see those kids win. But the rest of me is glad to see it is all business and the smoke and mirrors seem to be put away.

Yea, at least now those who make the roster will understand what to expect for the season. And for the prospects who don't, they have no delusions about being greater than they are.

His points about the kids' failure to control the slot and failure to pass accurately have me concerned. (It's difficult to cut and paste a quote from that particular site.)

This is going to sound weird, but here goes. Teams usually don't start playing their best hockey until they know who their best players are. I don't think this group knows yet, which isn't the worst thing in the world. Just listening to broadcasts, it sounded like Cassidy really resisted naming first units for anything. Whatever his motivation as a coach, it sounded like he game-planned the tourney as an open tryout without line matching.

The poor results don't bother me that much.

I have my answer for this, but I'm interested: would you trade Zadorov for Mantha straight up, right now?

Would anybody else?

Instantly.

I know I would

I hope Nikita eats your babies.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.