ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Hoss

at worst it has made 10s of millions of dollars that could be embezzled and misused and created the fundraising version of pop up ads. But lets just look at the positive and attack anyone not 110% thrilled with it.

Worst case scenario the foundation take the money, buys a nuke and blows us up... But maybe that wouldn't be so bad.

The points above, pro and con, are valid, but they apply to any charitable campaign.

The ice bucket challenge is great marketing campaign that has raised a ton of awareness.

Whether you participate is personal choice. No recriminations.

PS: are Sabrespacers participating?

I have a group of about 4-6 organizations to which I donate on a regular basis (from monthly to annually, depending on the charity), in small increments but often to the tune of about $1000 by the end of the year. I've selected these few because they are causes I believe in and choose to support; not because they're in vogue or because someone told me I should. And if the challenge convinces someone they want to support that cause regularly, then that's awesome. I just worry that next year they drop off the map again as some other organization comes up with a better marketing tactic.

It reminds me a little of something I've seen in my area and find very annoying: a newer local charity group called Community Aid came together and decided to put their donation bins (the large metal containers that look like a mini-dumpster) DIRECTLY NEXT TO existing bins from the Salvation Army. I don't know much about this group, and as it turns out they support the local Humane Society and so I'd likely have chosen to contribute to their cause with that information. But the fact that they felt it necessary to compete with SA and almost poach their donations completely turned me away from them.

Edit: I'm NOT saying that is what the ALS group is doing... I'm saying I could see that happening going forward as other organizations recognize how successful their campaign has been and attempt to out-do each other in fundraising efforts.

it appears to me that you're unaware of how and why this phenomenon started. the ALSA didn't start the #ALSicebucketchallenge. Pete Frates did. Pete will probably die in the coming weeks or perhaps months. But not before he started and witnessed an historically amazing viral social media campaign aimed at raising funds and awareness for the condition that is going to take his life. here's a profile on Pete that ESPN did. as i've said upthread: Go BC. AMDG.

http://espn.go.com/v...lip?id=11366483

edit: the idea that the ALS would somehow fail to realize that this ice bucket challenge thing is a one-time uptick in funds is a bit silly.

Edited by That Aud Smell

it appears to me that you're unaware of how and why this phenomenon started. the ALSA didn't start the #ALSicebucketchallenge. Pete Frates did. Pete will probably die in the coming weeks or perhaps months. But not before he started and witnessed an historically amazing viral social media campaign aimed at raising funds and awareness for the condition that is going to take his life. here's a profile on Pete that ESPN did. as i've said upthread: Go BC. AMDG.

http://espn.go.com/v...lip?id=11366483

edit: the idea that the ALS would somehow fail to realize that this ice bucket challenge thing is a one-time uptick in funds is a bit silly.

Interesting (and you are correct; I was unaware of this). That's a much nicer story than someone at the ALSA starting it.

Interesting (and you are correct; I was unaware of this). That's a much nicer story than someone at the ALSA starting it.

The more you know.

If this had been cooked up in some non-profit's development office, it never would've worked. The reason it took off was precisely because it had organic origins -- and each time someone did it and nominated someone else, the call was generally accepted because the invitation had come come from someone that the nominee cared about, respected, loved, etc. So Frates started it by challenging some friends of his -- mostly guys from BC. My social media news feeds were immediately thereafter FILLED with fellow BC grads doing the challenge. Those were in the phenomenon's early days (only early August, really). When I did it (and sent my check to ALSA), I challenged some fellow BC people, but also some others (they all happened to have Jesuit ties, but that was just the theme I chose).

I apologize if it seems like I put you on blast, but I find I have a bit of a hair-trigger for any detractors of the movement. The fact that the disease stole a beloved family member of mine probably influences that as well.

The more you know.

If this had been cooked up in some non-profit's development office, it never would've worked. The reason it took off was precisely because it had organic origins -- and each time someone did it and nominated someone else, the call was generally accepted because the invitation had come come from someone that the nominee cared about, respected, loved, etc. So Frates started it by challenging some friends of his -- mostly guys from BC. My social media news feeds were immediately thereafter FILLED with fellow BC grads doing the challenge. Those were in the phenomenon's early days (only early August, really). When I did it (and sent my check to ALSA), I challenged some fellow BC people, but also some others (they all happened to have Jesuit ties, but that was just the theme I chose).

I apologize if it seems like I put you on blast, but I find I have a bit of a hair-trigger for any detractors of the movement. The fact that the disease stole a beloved family member of mine probably influences that as well.

No worries, Aud... I'm sure for those who know people with the disease it is a very personal cause, and I don't mean to come across as though I think it's a bad thing that they've raised so much money. I wish the message of the challenge's origins hadn't been lost as it expanded because that adds to its appeal, and once it was widespread it seemed like so many people were doing it for fun or just to continue the chain of participation without concerning themselves with the reason why. At the end of the day I guess that doesn't really matter because enormous sums of money were raised, and that's a great thing for the ALSA.

I'll admit that for me personally it just raises hackles a bit whenever people are trying to peer-pressure others into donating (especially in a public way). The earlier forms of the message did not do this, but again once widespread a few obnoxious individuals treated it more like a "double dog dare" than an opportunity to invite others to support the cause. I hate it at work when they send around their United Way donation envelopes every year in their faculty and staff campaign, then continue to send emails and reminders encouraging 100% participation in various departments, etc. It's a worthwhile organization, but as soon as I feel like I'm being told rather than asked to donate, I want no part of it.

Sorry if this is redundant... just trying to explain why I hold the perspective I do. Again, that's awesome about Pete Frates, and my condolences to you for the family member you've lost.

No worries, Aud... <> I wish the message of the challenge's origins hadn't been lost as it expanded because that adds to its appeal, and once it was widespread it seemed like so many people were doing it for fun or just to continue the chain of participation without concerning themselves with the reason why.

I'll admit that for me personally it just raises hackles a bit whenever people are trying to peer-pressure others into donating (especially in a public way). The earlier forms of the message did not do this, but again once widespread a few obnoxious individuals treated it more like a "double dog dare" than an opportunity to invite others to support the cause. I hate it at work when they send around their United Way donation envelopes every year in their faculty and staff campaign, then continue to send emails and reminders encouraging 100% participation in various departments, etc. It's a worthwhile organization, but as soon as I feel like I'm being told rather than asked to donate, I want no part of it.

All good, dork. All good.

I appreciate that, as the thing spread further and further from its epicenter, it inevitably lost its context among some of those doing it.

I understand about your hackles getting up. One thought on that score: By the time it reached me, most of the videos contained an express request/invitation to donate to the cause. But since the challenges were coming from people who had standing to issue that invitation (for a variety of reasons (all of it coming down to some form of love)), I was good with it. That compares with the United Way campaign, where it's HR that is harassing you for your "voluntary" donation.

Thanks for your kind words.

I was actually one of those United Way canvassers one year (our company has a charitable giving campaign, but it's more than just United Way; and you can pick your charity).

I spoke before all the groups I was responsible for and the message was this: Whether you choose to give or not, don't make the decision by default. So even if your answer is no, please return your form to me. I then followed up with everyone until all the forms were submitted (except for a few holdouts). The result was the biggest jump in participation of any department, and the biggest jump in per capita giving. I didn't harangue anyone who didn't give; my only request was that people actually decide, even if that meant no. (In previous years, a lot of people didn't contribute not because they didn't want to, but because they never got around to filling out the form.)

I encourage all people to research who they give money to. Is it true that ALS spends only 25% of the donations they receive on research? Compare Goodwill with The Salvation Army and then decide where you are going to drop off those old clothes. Check the administration costs and the executive salaries of a charity that you are considering donating to. You might be surprised.

A potential drawback to this is the increased scrutiny the organization will be under to perform now they've been given so much money.

Journalists will be salivating at analyzing every expense to see if it makes sense or if they are being wasteful.

The general public will see some article in a few years asking why the disease is not cured now that they just received so much influx of cash.

I'm not saying it's justified but I'm waiting to see it happen.

It doesn't mean it's a bad thing either. Just that this comes with the territory. Just as people may be turned off by the organization if the trend continues. We have a tendency to hate anything that is popular for too long.

Yes.. and that was 3 years ago. I'd love to see a follow up on where things stand with that today.

Yea, I was just posting that without commentary because I didn't have time. I believe that article shows that this is a very well-timed donation surge. They may have recently located the cause, and now they can work towards finding true progress.

Good old PubMed. Forgot about that and thanks for the link. I forget, is there a way to read the research or do you need a subscription? I can see the abstract and it sounds rather routine. (ie. continuing to investigate, learning more, etc.)

Yea, I was just posting that without commentary because I didn't have time. I believe that article shows that this is a very well-timed donation surge. They may have recently located the cause, and now they can work towards finding true progress.

I understand. I wasn't critiquing you either. These kinds of releases always appear prematurely in my opinion. They are easy for the media because everyone wants to believe things are just around the corner. They may be close(closer) to finding a cure. Hard to say I guess.

Good old PubMed. Forgot about that and thanks for the link. I forget, is there a way to read the research or do you need a subscription? I can see the abstract and it sounds rather routine. (ie. continuing to investigate, learning more, etc.)

Link to full text is towards the upper right when available, or you can go directly here:

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1517/13543784.2014.933807

Some journals require subscriptions, but this doesn't appear to be one of them.

• 2 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.