Darcy Regier's "emphasis" on small skill players

inkman

So a lot has been said over time and in particular recently about Darcy Regier's infatuation with small skill players. I for one think this line of thinking is invalid. I will preset to you all the players taken in rounds 1-3 from 1998-2013 and let you be the judge.

Risto, Zadorov, Compher, Hurley, Bailey, Baptiste, Grigs, Girgs, McCabe, Kea, Armia, Catenacci, Pysyk, JGL, Sundher, MacKenzie, Kassian, McNabb, Myers, Ennis, Adam, Fienhage, Brennan, Scheistel, Tropp, Persson, Enroth, Weber, Zagrapan, Gogulla, MAG, Stafford, Funk, Sekera, Vanek, Fabry, MacArthur, Ballard, Paille, Tessier, Adams, Novotny, Roy, Thorburn, Pomminstein, Kryukov, Dicaire, Heisten, Bartovic, Janik, Zigomanis, Preston, Kalinin, Peters, Milley, Kristek, Pandolfo

Please lets not revisit why the Sabres were good from 06-08. It was a small window where the NHL decided to enforce all their rules and the Sabres has benefitted from having a speedy team. Darcy did not have the premonition to build a team knowing they would enforce the rules as they did, he lucked into it.

Edited by inkman

I think Darcy was just really bad at drafting.

Picking in the teens every year really lowers the chance for success. I by no means think he was a great drafter but I'm unsure how different he is from most GM's.

Edited by inkman

I get sick of hearing Darcy 'lucked into it'. Guess what, every team that is successful benefitted by luck at some point. Can't the guy get some credit?

His ineptitude post-2006 is how we can almost guarantee that the success of the Sabres post lockout could not have been his design. He lucked into it. It's not a theory, it's the truth.

His ineptitude post-2006 is how we can almost guarantee that the success of the Sabres post lockout could not have been his design. He lucked into it. It's not a theory, it's the truth.

You could have just said 'no'. But I know that doesn't fit the 'Darcy sucks' narrative. Your 'truth' might hold water if speed wasn't the trend pre-lockout.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I get sick of hearing Darcy 'lucked into it'. Guess what, every team that is successful benefitted by luck at some point. Can't the guy get some credit?

What was so succesful about that team? They didn't win anything. Didn't even make the finals.

The '07 team even struggled to put away a most average Rangers team, and were 7 seconds away from playing an elimination game against them, at Madison Square Garden.

Sure, they were fun as heck to watch compared to what've seen pretty much ever since, but I don't for one second buy that we would've just walked over the Oilers in the final, had we not lost our entire D to injury.

Darcy was a very good drafter from the perspective of finding NHL players.

drafting

http://nhlnumbers.co...ing-for-success

Finding elite talent. Who knows. Keep in mind that 2013 was Darcy's draft too.

This chart pretty much says: "It's all about the Elite Talent."

Zemgus, Risto, Nikita, Compher, McCabe.....Babtiste, Kea, Kassian McNabb, Foligno.....all Darcy draft boys.

Before we start giving Murray credit.

Woah. Pump the breaks there buddy,,,Murray hasn't had any of these boys extradited to Siberia and killed in a gypsum mine "accident".

Which I believe to be his default method of freeing up contract slots for new prospects.

For that alone, I think he deserves more credit than Darcy.

What was so succesful about that team? They didn't win anything. Didn't even make the finals.

The '07 team even struggled to put away a most average Rangers team, and were 7 seconds away from playing an elimination game against them, at Madison Square Garden.

Sure, they were fun as heck to watch compared to what've seen pretty much ever since, but I don't for one second buy that we would've just walked over the Oilers in the final, had we not lost our entire D to injury.

President's trophy....... Consecutive conference final appearances....... I can think of about 28 teams that would have loved to have been in that situation.

The Kings were one period away from being eliminated in the first round this year, that must mean they're not successful either.

This chart pretty much says: "It's all about the Elite Talent."

Woah. Pump the breaks there buddy,,,Murray hasn't had any of these boys extradited to Siberia and killed in a gypsum mine "accident".

Which I believe to be his default method of freeing up contract slots for new prospects.

For that alone, I think he deserves more credit than Darcy.

we are talking draft right?

Were they Darcy/Devine draft picks or not?

President's trophy....... Consecutive conference final appearances....... I can think of about 28 teams that would have loved to have been in that situation.

The Kings were one period away from being eliminated in the first round this year, that must mean they're not successful either.

After playing Alamo hockey against the Sens in 06, and being clobbered by them next season, I really don't see what's to be all excited about?

Would that be the same Kings who have two cups now?

After playing Alamo hockey against the Sens in 06, and being clobbered by them next season, I really don't see what's to be all excited about?

Would that be the same Kings who have two cups now?

Yup, that would be the same Kings. You proved my point. It ain't always pretty, but they did it. I don't see you saying the Kings aren't successful because they almost lost the first round. You're just taking away from the Sabres success in those two years in a poor attempt to trash Darcy.......... Stop grasping at straws.

Yup, that would be the same Kings. You proved my point. It ain't always pretty, but they did it. I don't see you saying the Kings aren't successful because they almost lost the first round. You're just taking away from the Sabres success in those two years in a poor attempt to trash Darcy.......... Stop grasping at straws.

Mentionning a team capable of winning the Stanley Cup twice in three years in the same sentence as a team that made the ECF twice in a row? Really?

I don't need to trash Darcy. The man is gone. I don't care.

I just don't see the love for the post-lockout team. The rules were in their favor. The deeper the playoffs went on in 06, the more that team struggled, as the refs swallowed their whistles. Same thing in 07. It's not exactly rocket science.

They were wildly entertaining, but the ´75 and ´99 teams came a damn sight closer to winning anything than the 06-07 teams.

Fact.

Zemgus, Risto, Nikita, Compher, McCabe.....Babtiste, Kea, Kassian McNabb, Foligno.....all Darcy draft boys.

Before we start giving Murray credit.

I think some (much?) of the recent draft success has to do with the rehiring of scouts and perhaps the promotion of Devine to AGM three years ago.

To me, one of Darcy's biggest shortcomings was he was absolutely abysmal at dealing with player contracts.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.