SIGNING: Meszaros 1 Year

Brawndo

SABRES SIGN MESZAROS TO ONE-YEAR CONTRACT

BUFFALO, N.Y. (July 1, 2014) --- The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has signed defenseman Andrej Meszaros to a one-year contract.

Meszaros (6'2", 223 lbs., 10/13/85), a nine-year NHL veteran, joins the Sabres after finishing the 2013-14 season with the Boston Bruins. Prior to being traded to the Bruins in March 2014, Meszaros played parts of four seasons with the Philadelphia Flyers, where he recorded 17 points (5+12) in 38 games in 2013-14. With the Bruins, he appeared in 12 regular-season games, registering five points (2+3), and four Stanley Cup playoff games, adding two assists.

Drafted by the Ottawa Senators in the first round (23rd overall) of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, Meszaros has appeared in 585 career NHL games, tallying 224 points (56+168) and 421 penalty minutes while playing for Ottawa (2005-06 – 2007-08), Tampa Bay (2008-09 – 2009-10), Philadelphia (2010-11 – 2013-14) and Boston (2013-14).

A native of Povazska Bystrica, Slovakia, Meszaros has also played for Team Slovakia at the 2006, 2010 and 2014 Winter Olympic Games.

I'm shocked by this, but Meszaros is only 28. Seems like he has been around forever.

Good pickup. He was healthy-scratched a bunch of times last year but has a ton of experience and is a good skater with good size. And it's basically a no-risk deal. Not sure if TM was in Ottawa when Messy was there, but presumably there's some institutional knowledge.

There can be a huge reward here. He'll be 29 at the start of the season, he'll have a chance here to get back on track if he can stay healthy. A healthy Meszaros has a lot of value in the league. There is the possibility of great value to the Sabres, not only a chip to move, if healthy this is a guy they might want to sign next year for a longer term. This isn't a 34 year old Orpik.

There can be a huge reward here. He'll be 29 at the start of the season, he'll have a chance here to get back on track if he can stay healthy. A healthy Meszaros has a lot of value in the league. There is the possibility of great value to the Sabres, not only a chip to move, if healthy this is a guy they might want to sign next year for a longer term. This isn't a 34 year old Orpik.

If he's healthy, he can pretty much be a wash for Ehrhoff. He's almost on par offensively and more stout in his own end. It's an if...but net-net, the blueline is stronger today than it was a week ago.

If he's healthy, he can pretty much be a wash for Ehrhoff. He's almost on par offensively and more stout in his own end. It's an if...but net-net, the blueline is stronger today than it was a week ago.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh...

starting to buy in, are we?

It must really suck to be someone who thought that Pegula really wasn't invested in the team. He's spent how many million in the last couple of weeks?

Let's see that (small) cadre man up and say, hey, I'm wrong.

hows it feel as a season ticket holder to see today's activity?

As I posted in the STH thread, it feels good! I can at least watch an entertaining NHL team.

EDIT: This post:

With today's moves, I feel much more comfortable spending my money on this team. They still will suck, but they will not be boring and it will not feel like I am paying NHL prices to watch AHL hockey.

Edited by Eleven

I was just remarking on the "Sabres fan" quotient in your post, which was (appreciatedly) high.

I've had plenty of Sabre fan quotient posts. I think I've been clear that I love Murray's philosophy. I was calling for Ehrhoff to go. I would have rather had Stralman than Mezaros and Boyd over McCormick, but today was a good day.

I believe I proposed this exact plan prior to last season's draft/free agency and most people didn't like it. At the time it was a much stronger draft, and there was an artificial lowering of the salary cap which made cap room all the more valuable in free agency.

Oh well. Day late....

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/21955-compliance-buyouts-2013/page__st__200#entry490927

The key being NHL team. As weave said, this roster contains no AHL filler. Every man of the 20 belongs in the NHL.

Not so sure....I'd make a run at David Moss for a true 4th line talent, Mike Rupp just to keep the locker room loose, and another stay at home D-man who could at least allow Zadorov or Ristolainen to roam a little. Confused about the lack of dialogue with Ott....but enough came today that it isn't a problem.

Edited by Ghost of Dwight Drane

Dwight who do you think will start next season that doesn't belong in the NHL, either because they have proven it or because they are talented youngsters who will need the experience to grow (like Zemgus)?

They need at least 3 more bodies with talent.

What will they do with Zadorov, Ristolainen, Reinhart?

To me, guys that got a look last year who are NOT NHL players on a top 20 team....Larsson, McCabe, Ruhweedel

Guys that you would be ok with having as a 22nd skater on a top 20 team....Mitchell, McCormick, Weber

Guys that are ready for the NHL now with proper mentoring....Girgensons, Pysyk

That leaves......

Georges, Mezaros, Myers

Gionta, Moulson, Ennis, Stafford, Stewart, Foligno, Hodgson

You have your top 9 forwards if Reinhart stays.

You have 4, #3-5 NHL defensemen.....then Zadorov, Ristolainen and Weber. Even if they all stay, which I don't think is the development plan, with injuries you are down to garbage in no time.

The 4th line is just pure filler. I don't want Kaleta anywhere near this team. Ted Nolan in 1997 may have been able to use him, but after what I saw last year from both of them, let the kid go.

Like I said, Moss, Rupp and Sarich will be much better for working with the young guys, and Moss can probably score as many goals as 85% of the roster in a good year.

I truly think Myers and/or Hodgson will be gone however. Let's start this thing from scratch.......we can wait on 9 months for Stafford.

Does Murray ever bring up Hodgson in a positive context? He'll mention Myers, Ennis and Foligno as a group a lot when referencing what might be a young core, but hardly ever do I hear Hodgson's name.

I think Murray has a higher opinion of Myers than some folks here believe, and wouldn't be shocked if Hodgson was billed as "not a good fit for the future".

They need at least 3 more bodies with talent.

What will they do with Zadorov, Ristolainen, Reinhart?

To me, guys that got a look last year who are NOT NHL players on a top 20 team....Larsson, McCabe, Ruhweedel

Guys that you would be ok with having as a 22nd skater on a top 20 team....Mitchell, McCormick, Weber

Guys that are ready for the NHL now with proper mentoring....Girgensons, Pysyk

That leaves......

Georges, Mezaros, Myers

Gionta, Moulson, Ennis, Stafford, Stewart, Foligno, Hodgson

You have your top 9 forwards if Reinhart stays.

You have 4, #3-5 NHL defensemen.....then Zadorov, Ristolainen and Weber. Even if they all stay, which I don't think is the development plan, with injuries you are down to garbage in no time.

The 4th line is just pure filler. I don't want Kaleta anywhere near this team. Ted Nolan in 1997 may have been able to use him, but after what I saw last year from both of them, let the kid go.

Like I said, Moss, Rupp and Sarich will be much better for working with the young guys, and Moss can probably score as many goals as 85% of the roster in a good year.

I truly think Myers and/or Hodgson will be gone however. Let's start this thing from scratch.......we can wait on 9 months for Stafford.

Ok, we're not talking the same language. I saying NHL players on any team, not the top 20. McCormick, Weber, and Mitchell are all NHL players (I agree with your assessment that they only crack the regular line-up on bottom tier teams, I'm making a different point)

So we've got 11 forwards and a spot to rotate to really young guys and 5 defensemen with a spot to rotate the really young guys.

Last year we had Ville Leino, Brian Flynn, Jamie McBain, John Scott, and Matt Ellis all play more than half the season. None of these guys will crack a roster this year. Throw on top of that Sulzer, Conacher, Omark, and Adam who all played between 10 and 25 games and you've got 4-5 roster spots worth of man-games filled with guys who belong in the AHL at best. We won't have that next year.

I completely agree that all the signings you propose would improve the team, I'm just saying that the roster as it stands right now is at least made of NHL or Potential NHL talent, and at a nice mix. As a STH this pleases me.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

I think Lieno, Flynn, Conacher have more NHL talent than Mitchell, McCormick, ???

I understand Lieno needed to go, but if you let him play with Reinhart and Moulson....the guy probably contributes and is rejuvenated by creativity. He busted with all 3 coaches though.

I am also very concerned that there is not enough muscle on this team. I don't think you have 1 guy that could win a fight against a heavyweight, and only a few at middleweight. Georges and Stewart maybe can hold their own, but neither are fighters. Weber is game and gets his butt kicked. Girgensons has shied away from every single opportunity to make a stand for his teammates, which scares me a little.

I don't want another season of 20 page threads about headshots, and have to see people complain when a Boston or Philly sends your #2 pick into the stands because they know not 1 person can do a thing about it. The overall character is better than the Darcy days, but still missing the muscle.

I think Lieno, Flynn, Conacher have more NHL talent than Mitchell, McCormick, ???

I understand Lieno needed to go, but if you let him play with Reinhart and Moulson....the guy probably contributes and is rejuvenated by creativity. He busted with all 3 coaches though.

I am also very concerned that there is not enough muscle on this team. I don't think you have 1 guy that could win a fight against a heavyweight, and only a few at middleweight. Georges and Stewart maybe can hold their own, but neither are fighters. Weber is game and gets his butt kicked. Girgensons has shied away from every single opportunity to make a stand for his teammates, which scares me a little.

I don't want another season of 20 page threads about headshots, and have to see people complain when a Boston or Philly sends your #2 pick into the stands because they know not 1 person can do a thing about it. The overall character is better than the Darcy days, but still missing the muscle.

1. Screw Ville Leino

2. I don't care about big fighters etc. I believe the league is going to fall in line and GMTM is going to make them do it. We won't be the pushover team anymore subject to the whims of the DOPS and it's most favored teams list. We are going to become a most favored team now. Mark my words.

Does Murray ever bring up Hodgson in a positive context? He'll mention Myers, Ennis and Foligno as a group a lot when referencing what might be a young core, but hardly ever do I hear Hodgson's name.

I think Murray has a higher opinion of Myers than some folks here believe, and wouldn't be shocked if Hodgson was billed as "not a good fit for the future".

Would not surprise me if Hodgson and Stewart are not on the opening night roster.

The roster is still very weak. I agree. but:

Mitchell outscored Leino in 9 games last season, playing with less talent.

McCormick offers a different kind of talent, but also outscored Leino (and Flynn on a per game basis) look at his numbers, he was on 20 point pace for the full season. AND he offers the muscle. (and a potential head trauma, I understand)

Cory Conacher just signed a one year league min deal with the only GM worse than Darcy.

(we should move this to the 14-15 roster thread)

If there was ever a role for a guy like John Scott, the next three years would be it. Young players that you are mortgaging your franchise on who need to be protected from those who aren't afraid to be tough when they are the biggest guys on the ice. Sign a guy like this, dress him for 15-20 games and make sure bad things don't happen. As long as the league refuses to punish certain players and teams, I think this is a necessity.

As of right now, Stewart is probably the best fighter on the team and he might be gone by opening night. And I'm not advocating for Scott, I'm thinking they need to find the next John Scott for this role.

If there was ever a role for a guy like John Scott, the next three years would be it. Young players that you are mortgaging your franchise on who need to be protected from those who aren't afraid to be tough when they are the biggest guys on the ice. Sign a guy like this, dress him for 15-20 games and make sure bad things don't happen. As long as the league refuses to punish certain players and teams, I think this is a necessity.

As of right now, Stewart is probably the best fighter on the team and he might be gone by opening night. And I'm not advocating for Scott, I'm thinking they need to find the next John Scott for this role.

I don't disagree with your overall point but the problem is the league has basically castrated Scott by calling him for every-freakin-thing.

Also, nobody has mentioned McCormick. He may not make any of us forget about Rayzer or Playfair but at least he's always ready to go when the need arises...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.