Opportunity Cost of Owning Season Tickets under Pegula

That sounds a bit too much like, "Don't like the U.S.? Love it or leave it!"

Absolutely, absolutely, not my point.

I assume people buy tickets out of their disposable income. That's my starting point.

Hockey is not a moral universe. It is life's gravy, not the substance.

If hockey makes you miserable, make a change for the better.

In other words, have MORE fun, do MORE good, and WATCH the game on TV.

Master the art of living. Come back to FNC when you are ready.

But don't tell me you are a victim and have no control over your own happiness or credit card.

Indexing to the markets is fun though. That was pretty cool GoDD.

If I included transportation, parking, beer, and dinners over the course of Sabre's life into the S&P I'd probably be able to buy a county in Costa Rica. If I had just put it all into Bershire - I'd own the team!

Edited by X. Benedict

To me, having tickets is a nice way to keep in touch with family and friends and take in a sport I truly enjoy watching. While the dollars are astounding when rolled up over the years, part of me compares this to having the same seats in NY, Chicago or Boston where we in Buffalo can have the same view for 1/2 to 1/3 of the price. I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't view no cup as a failure.

I think it's pretty cool that I can say I was in the building for RJ's Sabres hall speech, for Lindy's return to Buffalo and Nolan's return to the bench. And even more simply, I go to be entertained. I trudge through snow and brave the wind tunnel on Main street so I can watch hockey in person after working in the real world. Because sports can be and should be fun and a release from the everyday norm.

As long as I know an owner isn't purposely mailing it in for profit, I'm on board to watch hockey.

Understood. The tangential premise brought up in the Ehrhoff thread was that it was folly to criticize Pegula and suggest he was overactive and over-reaching in his early years as an owner. Somehow, he had just performed some noble act of fan amnesia by paying the last $18 million on a buyout of Ehrhoff, or what would equate to $450 for a person with a net worth of $100,000. So I just figured, why not figure out how much these mistakes cost the fans?

I totally agree. I'd have more fun listening to polka on the radio with great auntie than going to a hockey game with her. We all have our bonds and values.

I find the premise of this thread interesting, although I think the bolded can still be true. While Pegula's "over-reaching" was going on, there wasn't a single fan the wasn't over the moon about the fact that we finally had an owner who could make these deals happen. We were finally in on every free agent. It was so "Un-Buffalo." It wasn't until those deals started to not pan out that the criticisms began.

It would be disingenuous of me to criticize a move that I wanted to happen, only because we later find that it didn't work out.

I find the premise of this thread interesting, although I think the bolded can still be true. While Pegula's "over-reaching" was going on, there wasn't a single fan the wasn't over the moon about the fact that we finally had an owner who could make these deals happen. We were finally in on every free agent. It was so "Un-Buffalo." It wasn't until those deals started to not pan out that the criticisms began.

It would be disingenuous of me to criticize a move that I wanted to happen, only because we later find that it didn't work out.

Yes. It was the aftermath however....the 3 1/2 years of keeping status quo and talking down to the fanbase. Most of that can be forgiven, but don't pretend like the past 4 years and what you are about to see on the ice the next few, didn't happen. The bragging about eating the final millions on a contract that may have been handed out under a directive like it is a noble deed of ownership. I was just pointing out that the money came from somewhere.......

With today's moves, I feel much more comfortable spending my money on this team. They still will suck, but they will not be boring and it will not feel like I am paying NHL prices to watch AHL hockey.

And even better, we won't have to LITERALLY give away tix for games we can't make it to. I've had seasons since the Aud and this was the ONLY year people wouldn't take them. (Which sucked because between 4 teams, there were several weekend games I couldn't easily get to.

With today's moves, I feel much more comfortable spending my money on this team. They still will suck, but they will not be boring and it will not feel like I am paying NHL prices to watch AHL hockey.

The will be attempting to make the product on the ice (as opposed to non-nhl prospects and draft picks) better from 10/9 all the way to 4/11.

This is a significant and encouraging change.

Last year was the worst I have ever endured not only as a season ticket holder but as a fan. The whirlwind of the last week while likely not putting us in the playoffs this season guarantees we will be getting something in exchange for our money. This team will not be a pushover or unable to ice a legitimate NHL team. We didn't do that many times last year and it was embarrassing and difficult to endure.

And some of these kids could say there is no tank and be great this year. I'm not expecting that but it could happen. Regardless, the future looks like a hot damn good time to be a season ticket holder.

Last year was the worst I have ever endured not only as a season ticket holder but as a fan. The whirlwind of the last week while likely not putting us in the playoffs this season guarantees we will be getting something in exchange for our money. This team will not be a pushover or unable to ice a legitimate NHL team. We didn't do that many times last year and it was embarrassing and difficult to endure.

And some of these kids could say there is no tank and be great this year. I'm not expecting that but it could happen. Regardless, the future looks like a hot damn good time to be a season ticket holder.

Here's the thing though. The Sabres were only blown out a few times all of last season. I guess that fact can be interpreted in a number of ways. My take is it's tough to tank, and the Sabres might be just enough better next season to screw their chances of getting McDavid. (Full disclosure: I thought the Sabres would be a bubble playoff team last season!)

Here's the thing though. The Sabres were only blown out a few times all of last season. I guess that fact can be interpreted in a number of ways. My take is it's tough to tank, and the Sabres might be just enough better next season to screw their chances of getting McDavid. (Full disclosure: I thought the Sabres would be a bubble playoff team last season!)

Defensively, I think this team will be okay. As for scoring goals and the early schedule, I have no worries that this is safely a bottom 6 team as it is still constructed.

And I think I predicted 83 points last year. Boy....that was way too optimistic!

I think they would have been blown out many, many more times if not for Miller though. Holy crap look back at the roster. Calling that a bunch of scrubs is being way to kind. Murray is making this an honest team that will compete, win on occasion and give season ticket holders some value for their money.

I have said this before and hope I never have to again. I will lose it if I have to pay $90 a ticket to see Matt Ellis again.

I think they would have been blown out many, many more times if not for Miller though. Holy crap look back at the roster. Calling that a bunch of scrubs is being way to kind. Murray is making this an honest team that will compete, win on occasion and give season ticket holders some value for their money.

I have said this before and hope I never have to again. I will lose it if I have to pay $90 a ticket to see Matt Ellis again.

I never understood fan reaction to this because he was a 4th line guy with limited minutes. It's the top 6 that was miscast. It's like getting food poisoning at a restaurant and being pissed at the interior decorator.

I never understood fan reaction to this because he was a 4th line guy with limited minutes. It's the top 6 that was miscast. It's like getting food poisoning at a restaurant and being pissed at the interior decorator.

After puking my guts out, flat on my back, I' m not going to tolerate looking at poor choices in window treatments and crown moldings.

Even in a 4th line role if I saw him for five games a year he bugs me but ok fine so be it. But to be a fixture on the team? Barf! Kind of like seeing Gaustad out for the last minute of the game and we're down a goal. Glad those days are gone too!

Even in a 4th line role if I saw him for five games a year he bugs me but ok fine so be it. But to be a fixture on the team? Barf! Kind of like seeing Gaustad out for the last minute of the game and we're down a goal. Glad those days are gone too!

At least he could win the faceoff

*ducks*

In all seriousness though, I don't forsee Flynn or Ellis starting in Buffalo next year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.