Free Agent Leaders Available

NJ did say they aren't using any compliance buyouts, so maybe he's a guy that we look to acquire. $4.25 cap hit for the next two seasons.

You're right -- I thought I read that they were buying him out, but google says it was just speculation.

By the by (and I'm not starting a new thread for this, dammit): it looks like Calgary is going to let Chris Butler go to UFA. I don't think the Sabres should go after him -- I never much liked his game. Just OK at a number of things not but particularly good at anything.

Also: here's a list of UFA defensemen: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/the-nhls-top-free-agents-defencemen/article19327126/?cmpid=rss1&click=dlvr.it

Edited by nfreeman

I mean... They've all won cups. So they were at least good enough to win with at some point.

Are they value? Or is all their value already gone? If you want to feed off of the NHL sharks, then target their current roster and make deals that make sense. Chicago is about to spend $24 million a year on two players, I'm sure they are going to make a couple of moves. The Flames picked up Brandon Bollig for a 3rd round pick. If you want to pick up players with Cup experience there are better ways to do it.

Would you prefer D'Agostini, Conacher, Scott and Konopka? :P

There are better options.

Who is trying to win?

That is the end goal is it not? To bring in players to help you win or help turn your younger players into winners? Trades, free agents & spending Pegula's money, it all has to make sense and be done smartly in order to reach that goal.

Are they value? Or is all their value already gone? If you want to feed off of the NHL sharks, then target their current roster and make deals that make sense. Chicago is about to spend $24 million a year on two players, I'm sure they are going to make a couple of moves. The Flames picked up Brandon Bollig for a 3rd round pick. If you want to pick up players with Cup experience there are better ways to do it.

Philly is over the cap right now and still have guys to sign. Their new direction is speed, speed, and more speed in their top-6 (per a discussion on NHL radio yesterday). That's why they got rid of Hartnall. Rumor is they're shopping Vinny Lecavalier. He has 4 years left at $4.5 mil.

Also, the Hawks may be trying to move Oduya and/or Patrick Sharp. Boston also needs to dump salary.

...there are deals to be made with teams that need to dump salary.

Edited by Potato

Philly is over the cap right now and still have guys to sign. Their new direction is speed, speed, and more speed in their top-6 (per a discussion on NHL radio yesterday). That's why they got rid of Hartnall. Rumor is they're shopping Vinny Lecavalier. He has 4 years left at $4.5 mil.

Would a 34 year Lecavalier accept a trade to Buffalo, I doubt it.

As to the move it'self. I would want something else from Philly for taking on the cap hit. Throw in Couturier with Philly getting some mid-level picks and prospects in return and it;s a good deal for the Sabres.

There are better options.

That is the end goal is it not? To bring in players to help you win or help turn your younger players into winners? Trades, free agents & spending Pegula's money, it all has to make sense and be done smartly in order to reach that goal.

Yeah, but we don't live in magical fairy land where winner free agents grow on trees. Excuse me while I step outside and pluck this veteran winner off the vine.

You can bring in vets to teach these kids, but it's up to the kids to learn how to win. They're going to lose a lot first though. I hope you're ready for that.

Also, the Hawks may be trying to move Oduya and/or Patrick Sharp. Boston also needs to dump salary.

I doubt the Hawks can't find a way to fit Sharp into their puzzle but 'yes, please' on both.

There is NFW that Chicago trades Sharp.

Yeah, but we don't live in magical fairy land where winner free agents grow on trees. Excuse me while I step outside and pluck this veteran winner off the vine.

You can bring in vets to teach these kids, but it's up to the kids to learn how to win. They're going to lose a lot first though. I hope you're ready for that.

Do you even read the posts?

You can acquire players with Stanley Cup rings in trades, you don't have to feed on what falls off of the NHL sharks on the bottom of the sea floor. You don't have to sign players scrambling for that last paycheck. You can pick up players that still have hockey left in them. more than just telling stories in the locker room.

You can acquire players with Stanley Cup rings in trades, you don't have to feed on what falls off of the NHL sharks on the bottom of the sea floor. You don't have to sign players scrambling for that last paycheck. You can pick up players that still have hockey left in them. more than just telling stories in the locker room.

The only valuable trading chips we have are draft picks and prospects. What exactly are you advocating here?

I will extend my NFW proclamation to Hossa.

I don't think it's happening, but it makes infinitely more sense than dumping Sharp if they get desperate. Sharp is 32, signed until 35, and has some sort of NTC in his contract. Hossa is 35, signed until he's 41, and has nothing resembling a NTC.

We have NOTHING left to trade that wouldn't be throwing away the future of the team. Try again.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.