Hockey jersey numbers

Hoss

I've always worn 9. Still do. As a kid, I was partial to 11 because of Perrault but when I started playing sports I picked up 9 and stuck with it.

I'm not a fan of the 50-70's numbers. Just doesn't seem right. It surprises me that teams with less history have their guys in those types of numbers when they could be in the more classic lower numbers.

I am 13. I am always 13 except one time when I was nice and let someone else have it. I hated that jersey.

I am 13 because it's unlucky for everyone else. I don't believe in that crap, so it doesn't bother me.

Strangely enough, my wife always wore 13 as well in high school sports.

Not strangely enough, my son wears #13.. because he may have been unduly influenced by both his parents wearing 13.

I am sure I have had other numbers in my lifetime on jerseys.. but none of those I can remember so they clearly don't matter.

Similarly... I was assigned #7 freshman year of college, and I typically go with that. However, since it's often a battle to get such a popular number, at some point I chose #34 as an alternate. 7=3+4, plus I have a Thurman Thomas jersey I always wear.

Single-digit numbers are the coolest.... I always thought so because I was a huge Yankees fan growing up, and I thought it was cool that Derek Jeter and Joe Torres would probably be the last Yankees to wear single digits (all others were previously retired). On that note, interestingly, while I don't pay a lick of attention to baseball anymore (all NHL then NFL then NCAAFB), Paul O'Neill (Yankees RF #21) to this day is the only favorite played I've ever had. (Favorite players could be a cool topic for another thread, I bet.)

Similarly... I was assigned #7 freshman year of college, and I typically go with that. However, since it's often a battle to get such a popular number, at some point I chose #34 as an alternate. 7=3+4, plus I have a Thurman Thomas jersey I always wear.

Single-digit numbers are the coolest.... I always thought so because I was a huge Yankees fan growing up, and I thought it was cool that Derek Jeter and Joe Torres would probably be the last Yankees to wear single digits (all others were previously retired). On that note, interestingly, while I don't pay a lick of attention to baseball anymore (all NHL then NFL then NCAAFB), Paul O'Neill (Yankees RF #21) to this day is the only favorite played I've ever had. (Favorite players could be a cool topic for another thread, I bet.)

Paul O'Neill is my favorite player of all time in any sport! Go ahead and start that thread up.

Edited by ubkev

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.