Nolan/Murray LIVE Press Conference (4/15/14) at 1 PM EDT

26CornerBlitz

I firmly believe TM & company pick up Sam Bennett with the 2nd overall.

I don't see the Islanders defering the pick, but if by some miracle they do, Dal.Cole please.

Interestingly, this coming Rochester season brings in a number of draft picks from seasons past. The chemistry can now start to build with this new core.

Then what were the real issues as expressed by these FA's? (as opposed to us making up potential issues)

i never got any specifics on these things, other than confirmation on the Parise / Suter offers. I think the consensus was after sniffing around some FA's and hearing off the record buzz around the league that with all else being equal, and that's certainly not even close to the case now with the Sabres, most FA's are going to have Buffalo far down their list of potential landing spots.

Tim is great. But am I the only one that can't stand listening to Ted? Sure I love the way the team plays in front of him, but I cannot handle listening to him speak.

he is as bad as rob ray but I find ray endearing and ted unbearable.

His stammer is quite irritating. It's like listening to Bob Newhart.

One thing that hasn't been discussed yet from this presser is the love for Tyler Myers.

Ted Nolan said pretty clearly he believes he can be a franchise defenceman.

And I can't remember if it was here, or in the radio interview in the afternoon, but Murray said since he's been here, it's been the "good Myers" he's seen in blue and gold.

One thing that hasn't been discussed yet from this presser is the love for Tyler Myers.

Ted Nolan said pretty clearly he believes he can be a franchise defenceman.

And I can't remember if it was here, or in the radio interview in the afternoon, but Murray said since he's been here, it's been the "good Myers" he's seen in blue and gold.

"He's 6'8' but he skates like he is 5'8'"

I like Murray and Nolan - they both speak plainly but don't get themselves in trouble (too much).

Also with the Leino buy out. I got confused the question was will the second buy be used, as the first is reserved for Leino. After a little bit of banter Murray said 50/50. Did he mean Leino or the second buyout is 50/50?

"He's 6'8' but he skates like he is 5'8'"

I like Murray and Nolan - they both speak plainly but don't get themselves in trouble (too much).

Also with the Leino buy out. I got confused the question was will the second buy be used, as the first is reserved for Leino. After a little bit of banter Murray said 50/50. Did he mean Leino or the second buyout is 50/50?

My interpretation of what TM said is that Leino is going to be a CBO while a 2nd CBO is less than 50/50.

From what I got about Murrays comment on FA and getting players to want to come here, he means they won't be chasing guys down and sending Terry out to convince them, or have another Leino situation where they jump and overpay to get someone to come here. They will go after guys and make offers that they are comfortable with to convince guys to come here, but don't want guys who don't want to be here and only take the deal cause they are chasing money

its also why I can see him dealing Ehrhoff early in the offseason. He was one of the guys TP had to chase to come to Buffalo and it doesn't appear he wants to be here.

its also why I can see Ott being a target of theirs this offseason, because he is someone that if offered would be willing to come back for a fair deal and wouldn't need to be forced to come here

I watched that segment, and I *think* Tim Murray's mention of 50/50 was in reference to using the SECOND buyout, not the first.

Correct. The implication being they are considering buying out Ehrhoff but leaning towards not buying him out. Every single person in that room KNOWS Leino's as good as gone.

No. Gerbe's buyout had a minimal cap hit. They still have two that can be exercised this Summer.

Also correct.

One other point on the presser: I have been as critical of Mike Harrington as anyone, but I thought he asked several good questions yesterday.

As for TM's comments on free agents: I agree with APus' description above -- they will be active, and he clearly wants at least 2 good players who can both play and lead, but they aren't going be desperate about it. I also thought there was a bit of expectation management going on -- i.e. I think they will go after guys like Callahan but he doesn't want fans to expect the Sabres to land him.

Correct. The implication being they are considering buying out Ehrhoff but leaning towards not buying him out. Every single person in that room KNOWS Leino's as good as gone.

Also correct.

I don't know if its ehrhoff or not, but you are correct, his comment appears to be that they are about 99.9% likely to buyout Leino, but are 50/50 on using their other buyout on someone else (which could be Ehrhoff although I think they would rather move him for an assett then let him go for nothing)

Every single person in that room KNOWS Leino's as good as gone.

Yep, and that's why the reporter who asked the question comically phrased the question the way he did. No one, not even GMTM, seemed to disagree with it. LOL Sounds like it's pretty much a done-deal unless something extraordinary happens to change it (Battista telling GMTM - "You know, I really like that Leino kid there- he's got moxie!" )

There isn't anyone else besides Ehrhoff w/ a contract that would make sense to be the 2nd get out of jail free buyout. (Or am I missing someone?) And his only makes sense because the reclaw makes trading him problematic for the Sabres in a few years when they SHOULD Be good.

There isn't anyone else besides Ehrhoff w/ a contract that would make sense to be the 2nd get out of jail free buyout. (Or am I missing someone?) And his only makes sense because the reclaw makes trading him problematic for the Sabres in a few years when they SHOULD Be good.

Trade for someone else's junk and buyout.

I had high hopes for Leino (after seeing what he did with the Flyers - especially against us). His time in Buffalo is done though. He needs to move on for both the Sabres and his own career.

The only way I can see him coming back is if they need to spend money on him to get up to the floor. Even with that consideration, I am sure that the Sabres would rather spend the money on someone else to come in and help mentor these young guys.

I also see they trying to sign (and spending a lot of money on) Callahan.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.