GDT: Buffalo at Florida 3-7-14 at 7:30 PM EST

26CornerBlitz

I'm sorry man, I've been with you before on the Sabres blowing a shot at a good draft pick, but you're wrong this time. The tank will succeed.

I really hope you are right. However, I must admit that it does feel like groundhogs day right now......

Hearing Luke Adam may be recalled for tonight with Girgensons and Stewart out tonight.

It's amazing how much worse this terrible roster looks with Stewart and Girgs out with injuries.

Conacher on the first line? Torrey Mitchell on the second? If I'm Neuvirth I am sh!tting my britches. :bag:

Good for the tank though...

This is realy strange, but do you think the Sabres are going to blow the first pick in the draft? They just went 4-1 and a number of players (Meyers, Ennis, Stafford) seem to be playing with some fire in them. I never thought I'd want them to lose....

Yeah the recent success seems to be on the back of three or four players. Certainly Enroth but also most of the goals/assists have been a combination of Myers, Ennis and Hodgson IMO. The few talented players we have are dragging this dumpster fire of a roster to wins.

This is the perfect opportunity for a loss. Really need this one to get the tank back on track. Especially with us having an easy schedule coming up while the Oilers have a tough one. A loss in regulation tonight sets things straight.

Based on last year's draft lottery odds, finishing dead last only gets us a 25% chance of the #1 overall pick. So there is a 3-in-4 chance tanking gets us the 2nd overall pick. This year, that should be fine since there are a few players at the top of the draft who are closely rated. We'll get one of 'em.

...But, tanking next year will not automatically get us McDavid... it only gets us a 1-in-4 shot at him (although the Isles pick could change those odds).

Based on last year's draft lottery odds, finishing dead last only gets us a 25% chance of the #1 overall pick. So there is a 3-in-4 chance tanking gets us the 2nd overall pick. This year, that should be fine since there are a few players at the top of the draft who are closely rated. We'll get one of 'em.

...But, tanking next year will not automatically get us McDavid... it only gets us a 1-in-4 shot at him (although the Isles pick could change those odds).

Tanking next year automatically gets us McDavid or Eichel (barring expansion). McDavid is a world-class superstar, but he's not the only star in next year's draft. Eichel probably would've been the first pick last year had he come out. Those two players and a few others in next year's class are worth the tank. Not JUST McDavid, he's just the ultimate prize.

Guess they want to see what the new guy can bring to the table right now.

Cory Conacher should also be available - not sure if they plan to play him. I guess if they do that would take Scott out.

Sabres PR@SabresPR 3m

Buffalo #Sabres announce the team has recalled forwards Luke Adam and Nicolas Deslauriers from the Rochester Americans (AHL).

Edited by nobody

Sabres PR@SabresPR 3m

Buffalo #Sabres announce the team has recalled forwards Luke Adam and Nicolas Deslauriers from the Rochester Americans (AHL).

With no morning skate today, it will be quite a surprise what the line combos may look like with all these moving pieces.

Gotta be excited for something lol

The Sabres have 20 games left and have 46 points. If:

They continue on their post Olympic pace and win 16 out of last 20. That's 78 points. Impossible as I'm sure even Robviously would agree.

They win 12 out of their last 20. that's 70 points. Highly unlikely, but still a cinch for top 3- 5 pick.

They go .500 or 10 out of 20. That's 66 points. Maybe, but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

I looked at the points for the bottom two teams in the NHL in each of the last five seasons. Their average points? 66.

The tank is still in fine, fine shape my friends.

The Sabres have 20 games left and have 46 points. If:

They continue on their post Olympic pace and win 16 out of last 20. That's 78 points. Impossible as I'm sure even Robviously would agree.

They win 12 out of their last 20. that's 70 points. Highly unlikely, but still a cinch for top 3- 5 pick.

They go .500 or 10 out of 20. That's 66 points. Maybe, but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

I looked at the points for the bottom two teams in the NHL in each of the last five seasons. Their average points? 66.

Especially if Girgensens and Stewart are out for any length of time.

Tanking next year automatically gets us McDavid or Eichel (barring expansion). McDavid is a world-class superstar, but he's not the only star in next year's draft. Eichel probably would've been the first pick last year had he come out. Those two players and a few others in next year's class are worth the tank. Not JUST McDavid, he's just the ultimate prize.

You guys can knock yourselves out rooting against our boys next year. I'm rooting for the playoffs as always!

Sabres PR@SabresPR 3m

Deslauriers! Nice.

But just like when a team is in a playoff race where they need to especially beat the teams that are fighting for that 8th spot; the Sabres need to make sure they get no points against teams fighting for that #1 pick spot.

03/07 – SABRES RECALL ADAM, DESLAURIERS (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

BUFFALO, N.Y. (March 7, 2014) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has recalled forwards Luke Adam and Nicolas Deslauriers from the Rochester Americans of the American Hockey League (AHL). The forwards have been recalled on an emergency basis due to injuries.

Adam (6/18/90, 6’2″, 206 lbs) joins the Sabres for the second time this season after being called up on Nov. 20 for a nine-game stint in which he recorded one goal. Currently the Amerks’ second-highest scorer, Adam has notched 42 points (24+18) in 42 AHL games in 2013-14. In four seasons with the Sabres organization, Adam has appeared in 84 NHL games and recorded 26 points (15+11). The St. John’s, Newfoundland native was drafted by Buffalo in the second round (44th overall) of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft and signed a one-year contract with the Sabres in July 2013.

Deslauriers (6’1”, 230 lbs., 2/22/91) was acquired by the Sabres on March 5 as part of a trade with the Los Angeles Kings and is being called up to the NHL for the first time in his career. He has led the Manchester Monarchs, the AHL affiliate of the Kings, in goals (18) and shots (217) this season, totaling 39 points (18+21) through 60 games in his first professional season as a forward.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

But just like when a team is in a playoff race where they need to especially beat the teams that are fighting for that 8th spot; the Sabres need to make sure they get no points against teams fighting for that #1 pick spot.

Absolutely, and we're going to end up thanking RR and DR for the way they approached the tank early in the season.

Since we are talking tank... can someone explain how the top pick is determined? I was under the impression that all non-playoff teams have a weighted shot at the #1 pick and then the finishing order kicked in. How do people get a 25% change at the #1? Is that the weight applied to the #30 finisher? Are the weights posted anywhere?

Gonna miss this game as my son kick's off this weekend's hockey tournament with a game at 8pm. Can't wait!

Umm go Sabres?

Since we are talking tank... can someone explain how the top pick is determined? I was under the impression that all non-playoff teams have a weighted shot at the #1 pick and then the finishing order kicked in. How do people get a 25% change at the #1? Is that the weight applied to the #30 finisher? Are the weights posted anywhere?

Gonna miss this game as my son kick's off this weekend's hockey tournament with a game at 8pm. Can't wait!

Umm go Sabres?

The team that wins the draft gets the no.1 pick, and then the finishing order kicks in.

Last year's odds were:

1st - 25.0% - Florida Panthers

2nd - 18.8% - Colorado Avalanche

3rd - 14.2% - Tampa Bay Lightning

4th - 10.7% - Nashville Predators

5th - 8.1% - Carolina Hurricanes

6th - 6.2% - Calgary Flames

7th - 4.7% - Edmonton Oilers

8th - 3.6% - Buffalo Sabres

9th - 2.7% - New Jersey Devils

10th - 2.1% - Dallas Stars

11th - 1.5% - Philadelphia Flyers

12th - 1.1% - Phoenix Coyotes

13th - 0.8% - Winnipeg Jets

14th - 0.5% - Columbus Blue Jackets

As far as we know, it's the same breakdown for the 14 teams missing the playoffs in 2014

SPOILER ALERT: Yes. The Sabres are going to blow their draft status this year. Next year too. This is what they do. This is ALL they do. If they gave out banners for teams playing well late in the season after sucking for the most of the year, we'd be the most storied franchise in the league at this point.

And, no, none of these late runs ever amount to anything. We can have the best record in hockey from January 1st through the end of the regular season and then be absolutely terrible again come October, November, and December. The ending to the movie doesn't change no matter how many times you watch the Blu Ray.

"They're going to completely tank now......OK, now......OK, NOW.......OK, that's a few more wins in a row but NOW!.....with the latest injuries, the tank should really start now......huh, that's weird...."

If we actually complete the tank and finish last this year, will you cease and desist? Or is this going to continue all of next season as well?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.