Tankless Thread - What's the best roster we could conceivably ice next season

LastPommerFan

Has anyone else heard that the weakness of the Canadian Dollar is going to keep the the salary cap from rising too much thereby keeping the salary cap floor lower?

Yes I posted about it the other day but no one cared. Supposedly could keep the cap at around 69mil as opposed to 71.4mil

A cursory look at the UFAs suggest to me that the Sabres could, if they signed the right guys, ice a relatively competitive team. I know the team and lots of fans are looking at the 2015 draft, but, is there some mandate to ice the best team they can? I wonder if the Sabres tanked another season, if other teams would complain that it was intentional (especially since not only had Black said that, but the organization all season has said as such, even though the main voice of that, Regier, is gone).

Even with Black saying that I think it would be pretty hard to prove intend on being intentionally bad. Especially considering the coach seems to want to get the best out of his players and wants no part of the intentional losing. I'm assuming all or atleast 95% of the players would not sign up for that either.

I would not be surprised one bit if they change next years draft lotto so that maybe you can move down a couple of spots in the draft or have an even lower than 25% chance at the number 1 pick if you finish in dead last? There have been whispers about this and with a draft containing this much talent, I could see it happening.

Yes I posted about it the other day but no one cared. Supposedly could keep the cap at around 69mil as opposed to 71.4mil

Given world events, there is a 25% chance this can change quickly in a few months period of time. I whiffed on my timeline. I figured by now, the US Dollar would get you 85 cents in Canada, and we would see Phoenix, Florida, New Jersey end up in Quebec, Toronto, and Hamilton. The world has done a good job of hangin in there...

As Murray mentioned in his post-deadline press conference, someone who we don't anticipate being available will become available at the draft. One or two good trades of picks for established players coupled with one or two good free agent signings could get this team better in a hurry.

I'm sorry, but tanking an entire season on purpose is a loser's mentality that I'll never subscribe to. IMHO, no GM should ever go into a season trying to lose on purpose.

The perfect target for the Sabres this summer is Ray Whitney. He's 41 and still playing at a high level. His career spans two decades and he has over 1000 points. He'd be the perfect player/coach to help out all the young guys. He's also won the Cup (as a Hurricane, unfortunately) already, which means he's basically done it all and makes him more likely to sign on with Buffalo if we toss a bunch of money his way.

He can help us get to the cap floor and he'd be a good mentor for our young players, but he's not so good that he'd screw up our tank job if that's what we're going for next year.

Offer him a big one-year deal (and offer to deal him to a contender at the deadline if that's what he wants) and offer him a big two-year deal. Let him pick.

(Note: I have no idea if he's said anything recently about retirement. Hopefully not.)

Edited by Robviously

The Penguins were bad for 4 seasons before their turnaround and the Blackhawks missed the playoffs 9 years out of 11 before their turnaround. The idea that their turn arounds were quick is just not true.

The 4 seasons allowed them to pick in the top 5 consistently as well their 2nds being more valuable. The Hawks did what everyone here seems to be clamoring for, i.e. grabbing has beens like Alex Daigle and trying to get the last spot, and failing. When Tallon pulled the plug on that and they bottomed out, their turnaround was very quick. They drafted Toews let him mature at UND then got Kane and traded for Sharp. They signeded Hossa and that put them over the top. The point is trying to be good enough to get in and get hot has only worked for LA and I would argue their high picks and fas came togethor at the right time.

The perfect target for the Sabres this summer is Ray Whitney. He's 41 and still playing at a high level. His career spans two decades and he has over 1000 points. He'd be the perfect player/coach to help out all the young guys. He's also won the Cup (as a Hurricane, unfortunately) already, which means he's basically done it all and makes him more likely to sign on with Buffalo if we toss a bunch of money his way.

He can help us get to the cap floor and he'd be a good mentor for our young players, but he's not so good that he'd screw up our tank job if that's what we're going for next year.

Offer him a big one-year deal (and offer to deal him to a contender at the deadline if that's what he wants) and offer him a big two-year deal. Let him pick.

(Note: I have no idea if he's said anything recently about retirement. Hopefully not.)

http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/report-ray-whitney-hates-buffalo/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.