Prediction time: who's getting traded, and when?

nfreeman

I still don't think theres a market for Miller. I don't know if anyone is willing to pay the price? I can see several teams, including Florida, St Louis and Minnesota try to bring him in as a free agent but i dont think they are willing to part with prospects. Florida because they're out of it anyways and St Louis/Minny because why disrupt their team when you can give it a shot to win now and try to land Miller as a free agent?

Only true team out there i think is Washington. They have been flirting with contention for a long time, their GM is on thin ice, they need to do something to please Alex Ovechkin and they must know they are going nowhere anytime soon with their current goalies. They got to be pretty embarrassed that Ovie is having a remarkable season and they are on the outside looking in as of the Olympic break.

I think Miller stays and Murray/PLF put a big emphasis on working with to re-sign him.

I don't think anything surprise gets done. I expect Moulson, Ott and Miller to be gone for typical deadline packages, and not much else. At that point, I eagerly await people calling Murray a bum because all he did was the expected. I do, however expect more moves in the offseason.

While I would not be one of those calling him a "bum", it will take a while to turn this team around and many moves will need to be made in the next year and a half if we really want to become a good team again anytime soon, but the thing this, trading Moulson and Ott is easy. I'm not going to pretend like i can be a NHL GM because i know it's a tough job, but that's one of the easier aspects of it. Any one of us could go and trade Moulson and Ott and get a solid return. Darcy Regier was the KING of trading UFAs.

It's what he does with guys such as Ennis, Ehrhoff, Stafford, Myers, ect, that will separate Murray from a low end GM to a top-tier GM and that is what will truly shape up the Sabres going into the future.

So, no, he doesn't need to make any out of the box moves in the next 10 days, but if he doesn't, the pressure only starts to build up for him.

I think the underdog move is pairing Erhoff with a vet UFA.

Erhoff/Moulson or Erhoff/Ott would be a game-changing package to some team ready to separate from the playoff pack. Look West.

Why Erhoff? Though he is a very nice player, I don't think he is the rugged-two way guy that you want to mentor the upcoming class of d-men. He's just not that guy.

(personal preference -- I think it would be enough to pry Hertle from San Jose who is locked under a crowded top six. If I'm Murray i'm asking for the price).

Erhoff/Moulson or Erhoff/Ott would be a game-changing package to some team ready to separate from the playoff pack. Look West.

Why Erhoff? Though he is a very nice player, I don't think he is the rugged-two way guy that you want to mentor the upcoming class of d-men. He's just not that guy.

(personal preference -- I think it would be enough to pry Hertle from San Jose who is locked under a crowded top six. If I'm Murray i'm asking for the price).

I would make that deal in a heartbeat, but I'm skeptical that SJ would.

They know they're getting older. I don't think they're moving one of the best prospects in the game for anything we have to offer.

There is no way they get out of the West without a bold move.

It really is a mute point, Hertl is unlikely to come off of IR....but this type of move would be what I would be looking for if I where Murray.

I'd be more than ok with a deal similar to that but not with Ehrhoff. For one, he's own only reliable veteran defenseman and two, I want no part of trading him and risking the salary cap recapture penalty if we trade him and he retires once the he starts earning crappy money in actual dollars.

There is no way they get out of the West without a bold move.

It really is a mute point, Hertl is unlikely to come off of IR....but this type of move would be what I would be looking for if I where Murray.

That's an opinion (the first part). But they have other pieces they could move no named Hertl.

Would you settle for some scoring on the wing in the form of Nieto? There would have to be a bit more thrown in along with him to sweeten that deal, but it does sound like something San Jose would be more willing to part with.

Stamkos to the Sabres with Moulson, Myers and Pysyk in return.

The Sabres have had talks with Tampa both last year and this year on Stamkos. This was under the old management however. I highly doubt he is a target now. My opinion is that it was Darcy trying to tide Pegula over with a true franchise player for a year, then trying to get lucky with the #1 pick this year and/or next year. It would have been brilliant on his part to keep his job secure. I have no idea what was talked about in return, but I am confident that he was coveted and it wasn't an untouchable situation for Tampa. Thank God it never happened. I am not joking. In the same breath, the Sabres were talking to LA also. This was pre-Moulson. They must have interest in other Sabres, or at least did. In X's theory....I can see LA being a big trade partner for a combo deal.

The Sabres have had talks with Tampa both last year and this year on Stamkos. This was under the old management however. I highly doubt he is a target now. My opinion is that it was Darcy trying to tide Pegula over with a true franchise player for a year, then trying to get lucky with the #1 pick this year and/or next year. It would have been brilliant on his part to keep his job secure. I have no idea what was talked about in return, but I am confident that he was coveted and it wasn't an untouchable situation for Tampa. Thank God it never happened. I am not joking. In the same breath, the Sabres were talking to LA also. This was pre-Moulson. They must have interest in other Sabres, or at least did. In X's theory....I can see LA being a big trade partner for a combo deal.

GoDD, I believe you that you have a respectable source telling you this, but I do not believe your source is right. There is NFW that TB would have traded Stamkos for anything the Sabres had/have to offer.

Edited by nfreeman

GoDD, I believe you that you have a respectable source telling you this, but I do not believe your source is right. There is NFW that TB would have traded Stamkos for anything the Sabres had/have to offer.

I wasn't told...it was the same path that led me to see Vanek was about to be dealt. I speculated 24 hours before the Sabres were about to move him and they were talking to the Leafs with Lupul involved. Two days after the trade, word came out the Sabres talked to the Leafs from the talking heads. That let me know I was on the right track. The crumbs were left by a member of the organization. Multiple times by multiple members there have been links to Stamkos. It first started last year. I really think the Sabres and Lightning have been talking on and off for a year about a lot of scenarios. Miller was on the table last deadline, and the Sabres would have loved to get Drouin from what I was seeing.

Stamkos was again on the radar at the time the Sabres were shopping Vanek hard, and one of only a few. Since that time, I am more confident in clues I have seen since Gibby got his Twitter degree and started tweeting for the Olympics. It just cemented the 2 Degrees of Kevin Bacon stuff I was using to put things together, his being one of the half dozen dead accounts out there at the time. I agree that there would have to be a barnburner of an offer to pry Stamkos away....but remember, Darcy was trying to hang onto his job for as long as possible. If he had Pegula sold on tanking and could land Stamkos while giving up enough to make sure next year was a tank as well...he has his 2 superstar centers and placates Pegula and possibly the fans for the next few years. As a fallback they were looking at Drouin.

While it doesn't seem Stamkos would ever be traded, and I'm sure Tampa wasn't the one who brought the name up or has ever shopped him, there is no reason they wouldn't have moved him for an overwhelming package and no reason the Sabres would be hesitant to give up a king's ransom given their admission they were to outright suffer the next few years. Like I said, I'm sure there is no such ongoing talk, and who knows how serious it was. Darcy was also looking at Bobby Ryan for years and never pulled a trigger. Not the same caliber, but interest doesn't always equal eventual deal.

I am far less concerned about tracking the thought process of the organization now as we are no longer an occupied state.

I wasn't told...it was the same path that led me to see Vanek was about to be dealt. I speculated 24 hours before the Sabres were about to move him and they were talking to the Leafs with Lupul involved. Two days after the trade, word came out the Sabres talked to the Leafs from the talking heads. That let me know I was on the right track. The crumbs were left by a member of the organization. Multiple times by multiple members there have been links to Stamkos. It first started last year. I really think the Sabres and Lightning have been talking on and off for a year about a lot of scenarios. Miller was on the table last deadline, and the Sabres would have loved to get Drouin from what I was seeing.

Stamkos was again on the radar at the time the Sabres were shopping Vanek hard, and one of only a few. Since that time, I am more confident in clues I have seen since Gibby got his Twitter degree and started tweeting for the Olympics. It just cemented the 2 Degrees of Kevin Bacon stuff I was using to put things together, his being one of the half dozen dead accounts out there at the time. I agree that there would have to be a barnburner of an offer to pry Stamkos away....but remember, Darcy was trying to hang onto his job for as long as possible. If he had Pegula sold on tanking and could land Stamkos while giving up enough to make sure next year was a tank as well...he has his 2 superstar centers and placates Pegula and possibly the fans for the next few years. As a fallback they were looking at Drouin.

While it doesn't seem Stamkos would ever be traded, and I'm sure Tampa wasn't the one who brought the name up or has ever shopped him, there is no reason they wouldn't have moved him for an overwhelming package and no reason the Sabres would be hesitant to give up a king's ransom given their admission they were to outright suffer the next few years. Like I said, I'm sure there is no such ongoing talk, and who knows how serious it was. Darcy was also looking at Bobby Ryan for years and never pulled a trigger. Not the same caliber, but interest doesn't always equal eventual deal.

I am far less concerned about tracking the thought process of the organization now as we are no longer an occupied state.

I'm always interested in your sleuthing, and I wouldn't be surprised if DR did make a play for Stamkos, or if TB entertained the idea of trading Drouin, but again -- I do not see ANY package of Sabres assets that TB would have seriously considered in exchange for Stamkos. The Sabres don't have any players or prospects that are in the ballpark, and the odds of any draft pick turning into a Stamkos-level player are too low for TB to be interested.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.